Old 01-22-2016, 12:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Your dealing with one of the best dealers around... Also it sounds like this trailer is coming from a very goo home. I would just talk to the management at the dealership and get them to agree to warranty any issues that you might find in the first few months. That should give you enough time to assess anything that might be wrong.

Cheers
Doug

Old 01-22-2016, 12:14 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleRussell View Post
Crawl underneath and look for rust and the condition of axles and suspension. Check the age of the batteries and age and mileage of tires. Those are the two big replaceable's. Try each of the systems, water pump, inverter, furnace, air conditioner Hot water heater shower inside and out stove, etc. Otherwise dealing with a reputable dealer like CanAm or in our case Colonial is the way to go.
Good suggestions! I'll be sure to add those to our checklist when we inspect the trailer.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:15 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfox45 View Post
Have the dealer do a pressurized leak test .
Another good suggestion. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Can Am is not the kind of dealer that will hide things from you. If there is a problem they will make it right and if you change your mind they have a long list of people waiting for good used trailers.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
That trailer appears perfect.
Hope it works out for you.
Thanks Woodfox and M.Hony!

We're really excited about this trailer, and really hoping things work out. The waiting is probably the hardest part - not getting a chance to look at it until April when its back in Canada...
Old 01-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Your dealing with one of the best dealers around... Also it sounds like this trailer is coming from a very goo home. I would just talk to the management at the dealership and get them to agree to warranty any issues that you might find in the first few months. That should give you enough time to assess anything that might be wrong.
I've been doing a lot of reading on the forums, and I couldn't agree more about Can Am. They appear to be completely above-board, which is also our experience in person so far.

My understanding is that the do a complete inspection on any AS they sell - new and used - and anything that's not working is fixed before it leaves the lot. I believe they also provide a warrantee (possibly a couple months - I can't recall exactly) on all trailers, so that's reassuring.

Perhaps I'm worrying more than I need to. Just really excited about the purchase I guess, and wanting to make sure everything goes as planned, and there are no surprises.

Thanks to everyone for their input!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
My local dealer, JD sanders, quarantees everything works when they sell a used unit. I'm sure your dealer will also. Looks like a primo unit. Just reread the op first post. This sounds like a consignment sale, not the same as buying a used unit from the dealer. The dealer here will probably stand behind the unit in this case, as they are reputable, though.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #22
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
I would have the dealership replace the Alcoa wheels because these wheels have been known to develop cracks on the spokes. Do a google search. I would pass on the van unless you're staying on the pretty flat roads on the east coast.
Trailer looks clean, hopefully you have a statement in the contract that says you'll get your deposit back if there is something major wrong with it ie: water penetration for example.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawny View Post
I've been doing a lot of reading on the forums, and I couldn't agree more about Can Am. They appear to be completely above-board, which is also our experience in person so far.

My understanding is that the do a complete inspection on any AS they sell - new and used - and anything that's not working is fixed before it leaves the lot. I believe they also provide a warrantee (possibly a couple months - I can't recall exactly) on all trailers, so that's reassuring.

Perhaps I'm worrying more than I need to. Just really excited about the purchase I guess, and wanting to make sure everything goes as planned, and there are no surprises.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

I'm sure you will be very happy with this trailer. Also do you know who owns it now? My guess is someone (local) Airstream community will know this trailer as the group is not large. If you can get the name of the current owner, check with the local WBCCI folks and you will soon get an idea how the unit was cared for.

We purchased our trailer used also and it was very easy to get the complete history of the unit just from talking to the first owner. In our case, they had already traded it with the dealer, so there was nothing in it for them to be nothing but completely open. The dealer gave us a 6-month warranty with the purchase and in our case we didn't use it at all.

With luck you will have the same good fortune with yours.

Anyway, If your ever out west, give us a shout we always have lots of room for another Airstream passing through

Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-23-2016, 08:34 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St Paul , MN
If you say you trust the dealer, let him get it into inventory and put it through their inspection. Then, if you think two heads are better than one, at that time hire your inspector. THEN after passing inspection ask if you can talk to the previous owner to finalize the sale. Generally sellers want to sell the trailers - reputable dealers work to bring the trailer up to pass inspection. They know you will be back either for repairs if you are unhappy or to buy your next one if you are happy. A good and fair relationship with a reputable dealer is worth the price you pay!
Old 01-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
Since the owner is using the trailer this winter, all systems are likely getting a good workout. I'm sure CanAm will give it a thorough check. The biggest things I would look at are any evidence of leaks or repairs, the amount of wear and tear of the interior components and system components such as a/c, water pump, heater, hot water heater and what it would take to make it blu ray compatible if it isn't already. If CanAm doesn't normally go through everything, then pay them to do so. You want to know there are no leaks in fresh water, grey water, and black water as well as the valves holding liquid without dripping.