Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2014, 07:40 AM   #21
Rivet Master

I have purchased a couple of trailers and sold quite a few sight unseen. What kind of Airstream are you hoping to find? Just make sure you get all the pictures you need, ask a lot of questions, and if the seller is not patient move on.
Also remember that sometimes the seller may have not seen or had more than 1 Airstream, so when they say " It is the nicest one I have ever seen!" or "The previous owner said everything works." You might consider another seller unless you are comfortable with their response.
Good luck to you in your search!
RichardT
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #22
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpons View Post
I've purchased my two airstreams sight unseen. For the first one I traveled from ME to FL to pick it up and while still in good shape it has a bunch of problems. I talked with the seller after the fact and he refunded me some of the price and agreed to pay for a few of the repairs. I was lucky that the seller was a decent person but it also helped that I was getting a good deal even if I had had a non cooperative seller.

The second one and current airstream I got from colonial, used. And while not af great a deal as my first one, I felt it was a fair price and the AS was in better shape than I thought, literally better than new as it had some very nice upgrades.

I think you just have to be smart and patient until the right deal comes along. As they say if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

-J

I can't disagree with any of this advice. However, there is the off chance that you might come across a deal that seems too good to be true, but isn't. That was the case with me.

I found my 19' Bambi on the Airstream classifieds and just happened to meet two of the nicest sellers ever. The sellers realized how much I wanted their Bambi to be mine and in the kind of condition they advertised. They actually wanted me and my wife to have first crack at it even though they'd had other offers.

The seller knew I was somewhat cautious and laid out his business credentials and gave me every assurance that I needed to believe in him and his wife. I guess any honest person would but, he didn't have to. That was key for me. I sent a deposit, flew from San Diego to Austin to see it, cash in hand. It was everything they said it was... Deal done.

That afternoon they took us out on their boat on Lake Travis and to dinner as well! At that point I'm thinking maybe I over paid? :-) One month later they drove it to southern Ca. on their way to see their parents. After having it washed, they delivered it to us at an rv park near the Pamona Fairgrounds. That evening we all barbecued, watched fireworks and spent our first night in our beautiful new to us, Airstream....It was a Fourth of July I'll never forget!

Almost eight months and several thousand miles we've spent forty two nights in her and I'm here to tell you it was the best deal I've ever made with some of the nicest people I've ever met.

The bottom line is their are good people out their but, you have to feel it. If you don't, move on. I know I was lucky but, I bet there are other great stories out there.... Let's hear from you.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:14 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Purchase Sight Unseen

Markj55,

Looks like you had an amazing experience, and made some new friends in the process. I wish all transactions could be this much fun.

-J
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #24
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpons View Post
Markj55,

Looks like you had an amazing experience, and made some new friends in the process. I wish all transactions could be this much fun.

-J

I imagine other people have also had positive buying experiences. Hopefully we'll hear about those too. I know I was lucky but, I'd like to think most airstream owners are good honest people. In my case the previous owners really wanted someone to take care of it and enjoy it as much as they did - and, we do. A dream come true.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Our sellers were honest, and very accommodating since we had to wait till April to come get it because of weather. They held onto the trailer for a percentage down for 2 months for us. They had a mechanic friend repack the bearings for us too. They sent us tons of pictures, and answered all our questions. We were (and are) very happy with how the sale went and the trailer we got. We knew, going in, that it needed a lot of work. Nothing was hidden. That is what we wanted.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #26
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
That's great to hear. Even with vehicles I've bought in the past, I feel like you can tell when a seller has something to hide or a deal doesn't feel right. In that case you have to walk away. Our sellers held our for a month before 'they' delivered it. I trusted them enough to have paid them in full until delivery.... Maybe not smart but it work out beautifully.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Fergus , Ontario
We are buying this way after checking on the RV dealer credentials, the previous owners, and asking another WBCCI member to go in person to check it out. Looked for at least 6 months and could not find a trailer anywhere near us in Canada. Lots of additional complications to buy in the USA. Wish us luck! We'll post after we pick it up and try it out.
curioscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #28
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Good Luck! What are you buying?
Old 02-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #29
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I live in Virginia and purchased my current rig from a fellow in Albuquerque - found it through an ad in this forum.

We talked a bit on the phone, I liked the answers to my questions and we took the risk to blast out there. The trailer was as described, so I wanted to buy it. The seller, evidently, appreciated my sincerity and allowed me to buy it with a personal check (it cleared, of course).

I also sold my previous trailer in the same way: I listed the rig here, met the folks over the phone and we made a deal. They drove out from Ohio, camped overnight in the rig, and we settled the next day. They remain friends.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #30

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
I live in Virginia and purchased my current rig from a fellow in Albuquerque - found it through an ad in this forum.

We talked a bit on the phone, I liked the answers to my questions and we took the risk to blast out there. The trailer was as described, so I wanted to buy it. The seller, evidently, appreciated my sincerity and allowed me to buy it with a personal check (it cleared, of course).

I also sold my previous trailer in the same way: I listed the rig here, met the folks over the phone and we made a deal. They drove out from Ohio, camped overnight in the rig, and we settled the next day. They remain friends.

Pat

Well as you know you helped me @ 4 years ago and even though we've never met personally I'd consider you a friend! We are still loving our Bambi.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #31
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I purchased sight unseen. I met the owner half way. I was driven to get an airstream quickly( it was December) . The first two did not work out. A gorgeous 25' had mold smell from broken pump. The second was a 25' brand new. Both were too big for me and my present needs. The last was found on this sight and although it has issues is being enjoyed and very well used. I would love new one, but sadly will never be an option,
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:35 AM   #32
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Brad, I look forward to meeting you one of these days. We have got to get out west sooner than later as I enjoy those wide open spaces.

Still can taste the steaks you sent. Nice to hear that "our" bambi us still doing well.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #33

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We have lots of open space for whenever your ready! Also a grill and some KC steaks! Thanks again Pat! Your one of the reasons we love owning an Airstream, the trailers cost a lot but the people that you meet because of them...Priceless!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Pleasant hill , California
Looking for someone to check out a trailer for me..

I am looking to buy a 2005 Safari 28 in Mississipi and was hoping to have someone inspect it before I place a deposit. Its located in lower Mississipi. If anyone can do this please let me know. Compensation will be provided.
osomean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Zackybilly!
Where are you?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote