Old 10-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
Psych Scams...

apparently, scams aren't just for money.....just found that out:

Guy calls from Colorado Springs phone #, says hes from CA. interested in my 2004 Classic Limited slide out lounge...he and his wife and two kids are going to FL and doing Alaska in the summer, contunuing on to Siberia via the Bering Strait,(only 75 miles so doable) and touring Russia and Sibera. I meantioned the length and width limits in Europe....said he had a way around it, and I suppose Russia and Siberia are wide open spaces pretty much anyway. But a 34 slide out? he left CO with his family in new Dodge Cummins dualie, tranny acted up in CHI, gave out in Washington Pa off of I70.....spent several days having the truck replaced by Dodge,,,,,,then no contact from Thurs to Monday....guess what? Daughter had high fever and went to hospital, with possible meningitis!!!! I'm a kind and trusting person, and crap like that could very well happen to somebody..But my dear friend Tye, told me the thing was a scam, I said "how could it be there's no money in it" Called Dodge dealerships, within a 30 mile radius of Washing PA, never heard of them.....then Tye called him and caught him in a bunch of lies!
I'd like to post his supposed name and phone number but have been cautioned I could be sued for harrassiment!!
I had no idea there were people like this out there that get their kicks from stringing you along, really...

DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #2

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
There was probably eventually a hook... the sad story sets you up to feel sorry for them and perhaps be thinking less critically about whatever scam they'd pull to "buy" your trailer with a counterfeit "cashier's check" just after bank-closing hours on a Saturday afternoon, etc. etc.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #3

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Roma people...
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1965 26' Overlander
The Gorgeous Pac Northwest , Washington
It is sad but true that there are people like that out there. We had a scenario like this in our business a couple of years ago. Sadly I have my guard up a bit more since that happened. We didn't get taken for money but it cost us a lot of wasted time.
WBCCI# 2578
Four Corners Unit

Our travel and resto blog:
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
That's a cool trailer. Why would you want an Aistream, if you had that.

Maybe the guy was setting up for a trade.

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
They may not have had any monetary gain in mind. Some people develop complicated fantasies because they don't feel they get the attention and sympathy that they "deserve" from their actual life.

I've known a couple of those in my day. Don't spend any more time on them than you have to spare.

Our travel and renovation blog:
webspinner is offline   Reply With Quote