Old 07-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Price/Negotiating results FYI

Just completed negotiating and buying new 2012 Flying Cloud 30. I traveled far and wide via Internet, phone and on foot locally. With the 2013s coming out I was able to contract the 12 for 21% under MSRP. Be sure to know the sticker price as I found most MSRP quotes were high and in some cases, very high. Airstream says to ask to see the sticker price, all Streams from the factory have one pasted right on--just like your local auto dealer (well it may not be on the window, but it's there when shipped from Ohio). I was quite surprised to see the variance quoted for the same std/op equipment on the same unit from different dealers. Once you have the $$ from Airstream in hand, you can compare apples to apples while shopping for your deal. One other note, there are some bad actors out there. One dealer wanted a $10,000 deposit to just talk price--not order one from the factory--just to negotiate on existing units out there he might be able to get his hands on for me. And, yes, the wife and I ran, didn't walk, the other way.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Howard L., its exciting to hear your good news. Congrats. Does anyone know on factory orders (2013), can you get a MSRP from Jackson Center on a specific model and options?
Or any experiences/suggestions on a factory order?

Thanks

Old 07-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I did not ask the factory whether they would give me the sticker prices on specific model/options, but I suspect not. Also, we thought of a factory order, but did not as we found what we wanted, was provided with unit's MSRP sticker by the dealer and negotiated a deal that was satisfactory to us both.
The pricing info that has been posted here before about was my best help for this negotiation. For factory order I think you could work for that solid 20% under Airstream's suggested retail price. I did find out that the changes for 2013 are very minimal.

Howard
Old 07-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
Shiny Drag-on

Currently Looking...
Drag-on , California
That was very helpful, thanks so much for the information. When you started your negotiations did you start at 25? 30? %.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
Thanks for your info. It is most helpful and certainly gives confidence in the purchasing process. It is good to know about the MSRP.

Happy Trails with your new Airstream.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
You're right on, I started at -25%. For example right now you might be able to get closer to that than I did with a 2012. A dealer I did not buy from called just yesterday and said he had more money to work with on the 2012s. Made an offer on an International that would add up to a 31% discount off his stated MSRP. But his MSRP was way high--you can see that by comparing the same unit pricing on the Internet from different dealers as long as the options are the same or you price the differences. So if you were to try to deal with that--sounds good at 31%--situation, again you would need to see Airstream's sticker.

If I were to buy again, on my first dealer contact before any mention of price, I would ask to see Airstream's sticker with std/op features and their suggested retail price. From there both you and the salesman are on the same footing with where the negotiations will be going, and no one has yet stated some inflated price that will make it difficult to then provide you with Airstream's MSRP.