Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Burke , Virginia
Practicalities of 25' vs 30'

Hi all,

This is my first post. Great forum.

We are going to be full-time "part-timers" later this year. My DW is doing extended traveling for work and the boys and I are tagging along. Boys are 10 and 9.

It's full time in the sense that we will leave home and not return for months. It's part time in the sense that we will have some work-paid hotel nights and other reimbursed stays that will give us a break from the AS if we need it. Best guess is that we'd be in the AS 3 or 4 nights at a time, then a few nights in a sticks-n-bricks of some sort.

We are down to two floorplans -- the 25FB twins and the 30FB bunk. Each has benefits and drawbacks. Since we're only part-timing, the 25 seems small but doable. However, everyone having a dedicated bed in the 30 bunk is very appealing. Plus the extra square footage of living space and counter space.

I have never towed so I need some advice on if there is a real-world diff b/n the size of the 25 and 30. Specifically, if we are staying at a hotel, will it be easier to park the 25 vs the 30 in a hotel lot? Or am I going to be turned away with both? Will we have more options with the 25, or not really? Does a 25' connected to the TV (assume quad cab short bed 2500) fit in two head-to-head tandem spots? If we pull off the road in a suburban area, are we more likely to be able to park and go into a strip-mall Starbucks or restaurant in a 25 vs 30?

Thanks in advance!
ASbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think, for your plans of extended living, you would find the dedicated beds a huge plus. From my experience I'd advise the 30' bunk.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
For a young family like yours, there's no question in my mind. The 30 wins.

Yes, it's longer and a bit more difficult to maneuver, but with PPPPP (proper prior planning, etc.) in mind, it's not a big deal.

I've found that when looking for accommodations while towing, a look at Google's satellite view of the property you have in mind will pretty much tell you whether space is an issue; as well as a call ahead. Most of the hotel chains are pretty well off when it comes to extra parking space.

Same thing pretty much holds true when it comes to restaurants, WRT to looking at satellite views.

Of course all this assumes you've got continuous internet connection.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
With the two boys, having permanently setup beds will be a bonus in the bunk house plus they will have some "space" to call their own. Any other model, the bed area for the boys would have to be set up at night and taken down in the morning to have a place to sit for meals.

The 1,500 pound difference in GVW between the 25FB at 7,300 pounds and the 30 Bunk at 8,800 pounds will impact your selection of tow vehicle. I think you might consider a truck so the bed with a camper shell can house the grill with propane tank, the generator set(s) with gasoline, the sporting gear etc that would not fit into a sedan or SUV, outdoor table and chairs etc

We (just the wife and I) started with a 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI diesel I had and despite the hitch modifications that were made at CanAm, the 25FB International Serenity became too heavy a load when the trailer was loaded for camping to 6,060 pounds of the 7,300 GVW. Thus we ended up with a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500HD diesel with crew cab and short bed with camper shell that can seat five comfortably.

Good luck in your decision making process.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I think, for your plans of extended living, you would find the dedicated beds a huge plus. From my experience I'd advise the 30' bunk.
What he said...
Flying Cloud 30 Bunkhouse hands down.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Burke , Virginia
I actually am looking at the Ram 2500 quad cab as the tow vehicle regardless of 25 or 30. I'm all for going overkill so that I don't have to worry about payload for the exact things you mention.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We had a 28' and went to a 30'. We don't have children, but camp with a couple of dogs and a parrot. The extra space is a plus. We haven't had any problem parking as long as we do a bit of scouting before pulling in.
I think the bunk beds would win hands down with children. They would have their own space and on rainy days extra space is appreciated.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Started out with a 2009 25FB Classic. Moved up to a 2011 30 Classic which for me I didn't like the bath room layout, storage of the cabinets and felt in the living area with the couch and pull out desks that there was wasted space, etc.

2013 I went to a 27FB in Serenity (because I really like that look better than the “Classic” wood and vinyl interior siding covering the interior aluminum walls, etc. after four years) living with two Airstreams with the Classic motif.

In the 27FB, my bed is front to back vice sideways as in the 25FB and I have larger pantry and closet – I feel I have actually more storage in my 27FB than in the 30 Classic, and for practicality purposes, the use of space of the couch area in my 30 Classic never worked for me and I like having a door on my bathroom toilet area.

As in actual towing differences between the 30 and 27FB – I feel no real difference and the length differential between 28 feet and 30 feet is not really a factor once you get to that size. I tow with a diesel 2500....

Kinda like Goldilocks – Too Small, Too Big, finally Just Right & happy ever sense....
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Again - having owned all three sizes, good luck getting parking for your 30 at a hotel, you will have to be choosey in Hotel selection and hope the parking lot is not full, let alone navigate-able, it is easier to park the 25FB for sure and find space over the 30 and even the 27FB!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Burke , Virginia
John, what is the overall length of your 2500 + PP + 27FB combination? Too big for a long pull-through spot in a typical shopping center?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I guesstimate our total length to be close to 50'.
It is a little long for Cracker Barrel RV/Bus parking.
It takes 6 regular spaces at McDonald's/Wendy's/Hardee's, etc.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 02-28-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I agree with getting an overkill tow vehicle if you don't currently own one and will be purchasing one.
On the other hand, if someone already owns a 1/2 ton truck, use it- it will be OK-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASbeliever View Post
John, what is the overall length of your 2500 + PP + 27FB combination? Too big for a long pull-through spot in a typical shopping center?
2013 Ram 2500HD 4x4 = 231 inches (19 1/4 feet)
2013 Airstream 27FB Serenity = 336 inches (28 feet)
ProPride Hitch (measured from truck hitch to ball mount of trailer) = approx. 24 inches (2 feet)
Total Length = 49 1/4 feet or lets just round to "50 feet"
Old 02-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Always go for biggest you can afford - you'll appreciate the space. Towing and even parking won't be a huge difference whatever length you choose. I've found that the biggest issue is the frontal area of the trailer and the drag it causes; the length behind the front isn't that significant.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Length isn't always an issue in that many hotels off the interstates do provide parking for over the road truckers, so you shouldn't have a great deal of issues. I'd always do some planning and call the hotel and ask.

I'd vote for the extra length also. My first Airstream was a 27' Safari and the current is a 31' Classic. Length has never been an issue for me in camping or stopping for a bite to eat when on the road. You do have to be careful when fueling and consider pump locations and layout of your fuel stops. I've had to pass a few by after getting off the highway and realizing that I would have problems exiting or pulling next to the available pumps. With that in mind I don't get into a low fuel situation so that I have the ability to pass stations by and travel down the road a bit.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Burke , Virginia
Thanks for all the great feedback. My takeaways from this thread are 1) Livability trumps maneuverability; 2) All else equal, bigger is better, 3) The 25' likely won't give me any real advantages in terms of parking in commercial lots.

BTW, the DOT-suggested standard length for parking spot is 19 ft deep, so even a TV + 25' (hitched) won't likely fit in two tandem spots in most lots.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
If cost is no object, the 30 is a clear winner. There is no downside. Once you commit to towing a 25, there is no difference in towing a 30.

We have parked our 47' total length in the rear areas of a couple motels, where the 18wheelers park. No problem.

Enjoy the new Airstream.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
25, 27, 30 Ft are all longer than any standard parking space so if the hotel or shopping strip have to enforce their parking regulation/s, we will all be thrown out. Even when my 20 ft Harley Toy hauler stays overnight at the hotel, I have to park along side the curb (parallel park to the curb) usually by the dumpster or utility installations. Safer standing apart too. Provided I got a safe TV with enough towing capacity, I will satisfy the urge for sleeping comfort (floor plan) first, then parking last. Two other buddies of mine convoyed ( 25, 30 & 34 ft) several times NY to FL & NY to Midwest / West and we got more than enough parking all the times ( advance planning & Google Map). In terms of maneuverability, same set of skills for all double axels except that the 34ft (triple) is easier for me. Happy streaming
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #19
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASbeliever View Post
It's full time in the sense that we will leave home and not return for months. It's part time in the sense that we will have some work-paid hotel nights and other reimbursed stays that will give us a break from the AS if we need it. Best guess is that we'd be in the AS 3 or 4 nights at a time, then a few nights in a sticks-n-bricks of some sort.

We are down to two floorplans -- the 25FB twins and the 30FB bunk. Each has benefits and drawbacks. Since we're only part-timing, the 25 seems small but doable. However, everyone having a dedicated bed in the 30 bunk is very appealing. Plus the extra square footage of living space and counter space.
30 will still feel small with what you're doing.

Quote:
I have never towed so I need some advice on if there is a real-world diff b/n the size of the 25 and 30. Specifically, if we are staying at a hotel, will it be easier to park the 25 vs the 30 in a hotel lot?

Or am I going to be turned away with both? Will we have more options with the 25, or not really? Does a 25' connected to the TV (assume quad cab short bed 2500) fit in two head-to-head tandem spots?
Depending on how the lot is striped you might be able to park a 25 and tow vehicle in two parking stalls end to end. Many lots are striped too short and narrow for this to work. With my 30' I take up 5 spaces at the grocery store.

I doubt there would be any practical difference.

I have not had a problem with parking except in downtown and lakefront areas where parking is at a premium. Typically these are the kinds of places where you have to pay to park. If your itinerary includes those then you'll have a problem with anything except a truck camper or B van.

Quote:
If we pull off the road in a suburban area, are we more likely to be able to park and go into a strip-mall Starbucks or restaurant in a 25 vs 30?

Thanks in advance!
Never had a problem with that in practice. I've encountered a few suburban strip malls where parking is a huge problem and they have the lots striped narrow and short to pick up a few spaces. I avoid those whether I have the Airstream or not.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Dedicated beds are always a plus in my book. I don't like flipping/converting/transforming some other piece of furniture into a bed, and I don't like having to crawl over someone else to get out of bed.
The second best thing to a dedicated bed is a jack knife sofa- easy to convert.
The dinette table as a bed is terrible- the converting process is just too difficult and time consuming and it must be transformed back into an eating area before breakfast time.
We skipped tent trailers/pop-ups and went straight from a tent to a travel trailer for that reason. I want to walk through the door and be home.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955