Old 02-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Each time Ive bought a trailer I've had to drive several days with each to get home and never been able (or willing to try) sleeping in them as they were either gutted or worse so I've had to park in hotel lots. It was really easy in economy hotels and in all fairness even in the nicer locations never a problem. Mine are 26' and 33' so not that different and I wouldn't say it's been much of a concern at all. That being said with the 26' whipping into the Trader Joes lot was doable, with the 33' I might need to think it through more.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I've never understood RV's of any type at a hotel.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
After you've had an Airstream with your own bed, bath and facilities you will hate hotels.
x2! We absolutely cannot stand staying in hotels. We put up with them when we have to fly some place, but we'd rather be in our AS.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Since I have owned a travel trailer I have only stayed in hotels for business.
I took some software training in Wisconsin.
I flew there- no travel trailer-
I have been on several trips to retrieve wrecked or broken down trucks.
I was towing a car hauling trailer- no travel trailer-
Anywhere else I go- weddings, to see the grand baby, etc.- I take my small silver house with me-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:36 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I think you'll be surprised just how many camp options you'll find - I certainly was. Once you start camping, there seem to be campgrounds everywhere, even in metro areas. Before we owned our trailer we had no idea any of these existed.

Here in Toronto we have two urban campgrounds, and several within 25 miles from the downtown centre.

The Allstays Camp & RV for iOS and Android is excellent. Maps, contact details, reviews, we use it all the time. We've got young kids, so right now our daily travel distance is limited to about three hours. We use google maps to find places where we can take a break, or even stay overnight.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASbeliever View Post
John, what is the overall length of your 2500 + PP + 27FB combination? Too big for a long pull-through spot in a typical shopping center?
I started with a 22 CCD and a 2500 Suburban - they JUST fit in 2 parking spaces. The 25, NOPE. Crossways in 6 spaces at the far end of the parking lot - so as not to be rude and take premium "short walk" spaces. Also "far away" spots are a heckofalot easier to get OUT of.

Go ahead and get the 30 bunk - with 2 boys especially. Also your 2500 should be 4 wheel drive (duh!). You only need it once in a while, but when you do - oh brother! Your plans will have you moving about 5 - 6 times per month. That's not TOWING, that's BREAKDOWN, STOWING & Towing. Every time you move you have to clear the counters, put away every loose object, protect the breakables, and secure every door, drawer and cabinet. Lock the shower and refrigerator doors! Stow heavy stuff LOW, fluffy light stuff high. Flour and sugar should NEVER be carried in their original bags - unbreakable plastic with very secure lids only! Breaking down means stabilizers up, antenna down, fans closed, a/c off, water heater off, propane tanks - depends, tire pressure & lug nuts checked, etc. etc., etc.

Breaking down is the same process in a 25 as a 30, Stowing is easier when you have more places to KEEP stuff stowed in the first place (editing stuff and not carrying excess stuff is very important too).

Towing a big rig vs. a smaller one? When you're driving you want less, when you're parked you want MORE.

Paula
Old 02-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
PS - if you DON'T hate hotels, wear white socks, check in, then walk across your hotel room three or four times in your slightly sweaty white socks.

Prepare to get slightly sick.

Then take the duvet off the bed - preferably with tongs - and throw it in the corner. Next spray for bugs in under and around the bed... go to the bar for an hour while they die and the stench dissipates. When you get back - take one of the scrupulously clean towels, dampen it and wipe the crunchy bug carcasses off the bathroom floor, sink, etc.

SAFFORD RV - just south of Fredericksburg VA is only about 50 miles away from your home. GO! Looking at floor plans is a far cry from seeing them in person, sitting in them and mentally trying them on for size. Unfortunately Safford doesn't have a huge stock of Airstreams. If you want to see a really good range of models, you've got to make the Haj to Jackson Center Ohio and take the factory tour (preferably on Friday) - or go to Colonial Airstream in Lakewood NM (Northern NJ - close to Philly and NYC (Warning - if you buy from Colonial - leave their lot at 3:00 AM.... there are a lot of aggressive drivers during the day - sneak out in the wee small hours.)

Paula