Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
PNW AS Dealers

I’m wondering if you folks would be willing to share you experiences with PNW AS dealers you’ve purchased from? I’ve gone to Seattle Airstream, which was a good experience browsing, but I’m curious which others, if any are potentially worth doing business with.

I’ve read on the forums some buyers working out deals of 10-20% off MSRP, so I’m curious if the same if true for AS dealers in my neck of the woods.

Lastly, since I’m in no hurry to buy, does it make sense to wait until early in the year (Jan-March) for the best possible deals? Or is there a better time of year for them?

Thanks very much - Joe
ijoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:19 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Richland , Washington
Airstream Spokane great

Highly recommend Airstream of Spokane - very good prices and ethical... owners have low overhead and own Airstream themselves- service also very good and reasonable.
caronair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:17 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
I second the recommendation to check out Airstream of Spokane. We have had nothing but incredible service from them and got a better deal on our new 2018 than anywhere else. I met a man at the DMV recently who also purchased an AS from them. He shopped the entire nation and got his best price in Spokane.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
PNW AS Dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoe13 View Post
I’ve read on the forums some buyers working out deals of 10-20% off MSRP, so I’m curious if the same if true for AS dealers in my neck of the woods.

Lastly, since I’m in no hurry to buy, does it make sense to wait until early in the year (Jan-March) for the best possible deals? Or is there a better time of year for them?

Thanks very much - Joe
Like everything you can always find deals. I used to have a friend who owned an RV dealership (not Airstream) and he used to tell me that a 25% off list is a good deal for the customer and a fair profit for the dealer. That statement was made quite a few years ago so I really don't know if that holds up with the market today. Obviously it's a matter of the timing of your purchase with a dealer maybe making a better deal to not have to carry as much inventory over the winter.

I know I bought my Airstream in the month of November and got what I considered a great deal. I placed an order in September that was supposed to be delivered in January. What ended up while visiting my dealership in early November was a duplicate of the Classic that I had on order. The dealer had just received it into his inventory. The only difference was this trailer and my ordered trailer was an ultra leather sofa and the one I ordered was cloth. I talked to the owner of the dealership and other than a small charge for the upgrade of the sofa he agreed to swap the trailer on the lot for my ordered trailer. It ended up it came out better for all parties since the trailer had been on his lot for less than 30 days, the trailer I ordered wouldn't show up until early in the coming year so he saved money there, and I got my trailer prior to having to have it towed from JC in the potential winter ice and snow.

So shop around but remember that sometimes the difference of 5% or so is quickly eaten up in transportation expenses in getting your trailer home, and the issue of service. I can't emphasize how important that service issue is. Time and time again I've noted that a servicing dealer knows if you bought your new Airstream from them. If you did many will provide perks like discounts on parts, preferred service scheduling, and going to bat for you if you need support from Airstream on warranty issues. My dealer has gone as far as flying one of their employees up to an International WBCCI rally to drive a customer's rig back due to the customer having a stroke. When offered payment the o noted that there was no charge since he noted "that we are family". That really says a lot.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
BEND , Oregon
We just purchased our first AS from AS Adventures in PDX; Very smooth, very helpful,fair price( I think?), personnel were helpful, not pushy, very professional! We bought a 25FB Twin, 2017 that was used once and returned and they bought a larger unit. ( Their story) It is from the bay area and I'd love to hear from the previous owner if the dealership's story is the actual one or not. The dealership installed our newly purchased Propride and we drove it home (200 mi) without incident or acknowledgement of its presence! 60mph +/- 2mph except in PDX traffic, then 2mph +/- 2mph! haha!
HI-OH-AG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:21 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by caronair View Post
Highly recommend Airstream of Spokane - very good prices and ethical... owners have low overhead and own Airstream themselves- service also very good and reasonable.

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve added them to my list of potentials.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by HI-OH-AG View Post
We just purchased our first AS from AS Adventures in PDX; Very smooth, very helpful,fair price( I think?), personnel were helpful, not pushy, very professional! We bought a 25FB Twin, 2017 that was used once and returned and they bought a larger unit. ( Their story) It is from the bay area and I'd love to hear from the previous owner if the dealership's story is the actual one or not. The dealership installed our newly purchased Propride and we drove it home (200 mi) without incident or acknowledgement of its presence! 60mph +/- 2mph except in PDX traffic, then 2mph +/- 2mph! haha!

I visited a location of the same company in Covington, WA. I agree there was no pressure at all and the sales person spent an hour or so letting me check out quite a few models.

What sort of deal did you get in terms of price and add-ons? I don’t mean the actual number, but curious if the price you paid was comparable to what others seem to be paying here on the forums. Did they do the hitch work on your TV as well?
Old 07-25-2017, 06:30 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Like everything you can always find deals. I used to have a friend who owned an RV dealership (not Airstream) and he used to tell me that a 25% off list is a good deal for the customer and a fair profit for the dealer. That statement was made quite a few years ago so I really don't know if that holds up with the market today. Obviously its a matter of lot of this will tie to timing and when you purchase.

I know I bought my Airstream in the month of November and got what I considered a great deal. I placed an order in September that was supposed to be delivered in January. What ended up while visiting my dealership in early November was a duplicate of the Classic that I had on order. he dealer had just received it into his inventory. The only difference was this trailer and my ordered trailer was an ultra leather sofa and the one I ordered was cloth. I talked to the owner of the dealership and other than a small charge for the upgrade of the sofa he agreed to swap the trailer on the lot for my ordered trailer. It ended up it came out better for all parties since the trailer had been on his lot for less than 30 days, the trailer I ordered wouldn't show up until early in the coming year so he saved money there, and I got my trailer prior to having to have it towed from JC in the potential winter ice and snow.

So shop around but remember that sometimes the difference of 5% or so is quickly eaten up in transportation expenses in getting your trailer home, and the issue of service. I can't emphasize how important that service issue is, and time and time again I've noted that a servicing dealer knows if you bought your new Airstream from them. If you did many will provide perks like discounts on parts, preferred service scheduling, and going to bat for you if you need support from Airstream on warranty issues. My dealer has gone as far as flying one of their employees up to an International WBCCI rally to drive a customer's rig back due to the customer having a stroke. When offered payment the dealership noted that there was no charge since he noted "that we are family". That really says a lot.

Jack

Thanks for the reply. I’m not worried about ~5%, as I agree with your sentiment that it will likely be spent in some other manner in conjunction with the AS purchase.

If I could find even 15-20% off, I would be very pleased.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:32 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelloggKid View Post
I second the recommendation to check out Airstream of Spokane. We have had nothing but incredible service from them and got a better deal on our new 2018 than anywhere else. I met a man at the DMV recently who also purchased an AS from them. He shopped the entire nation and got his best price in Spokane.

Sounds like I’ll have to add them to my potentials list. If a nationwide search yielded the best price so close to home, I’ll be sure to see what kind of deal they can wrangle up.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
I third Airstream of Spokane

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:49 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenritas View Post
I third Airstream of Spokane

Good to see so much positive feedback for AS of Spokane.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:35 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
I ended up asking a dealer on the east coast (not Colonial) for a quote for a specific AS and a dealer in the PNW for the same AS and WOW! The east coast dealer, even with a hefty delivery fee would save me almost 12% over what the purchase only price is from the PNW dealer. Looks like I’ll need to be willing to go a bit further, perhaps cross country for the best purchase price.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
If you're looking for a good price, check out Los Banos in CA. They quoted us a price that we were willing to negotiate with a closer dealer. Have you gone back to your local dealer with the price offered out East?
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:12 PM   #14
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Airstream Adventures in Washington, Oregon, Boise ID, and SF Bay Area are all the same group. They swap trailers if one has a coach that the selling dealer does not have in stock. There is a dealer in Los Banos that is well respected. Also the Spokane dealer recommended above has been recommended before.

If you are going to stay in the area, find a way to work a deal with your local dealer and build a relationship. It is not unusual for a sale to develop so they can clear out inventory when the new models are available. If you never plan to darken their door after purchase, find the best deal you can and make an adventure out of traveling to pick it up.

Good luck with your negotiations. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:19 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
If you're looking for a good price, check out Los Banos in CA. They quoted us a price that we were willing to negotiate with a closer dealer. Have you gone back to your local dealer with the price offered out East?

I just received the quotes in the past week or so and haven’t gone back to the local dealer with the east coast offer, but plan to do so.

I was just surprised at the large variance in offers.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:22 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Airstream Adventures in Washington, Oregon, Boise ID, and SF Bay Area are all the same group. They swap trailers if one has a coach that the selling dealer does not have in stock. There is a dealer in Los Banos that is well respected. Also the Spokane dealer recommended above has been recommended before.

If you are going to stay in the area, find a way to work a deal with your local dealer and build a relationship. It is not unusual for a sale to develop so they can clear out inventory when the new models are available. If you never plan to darken their door after purchase, find the best deal you can and make an adventure out of traveling to pick it up.

Good luck with your negotiations. Pat

If I can find a good deal this fall/winter at a local dealer, I would likely take the deal. Otherwise, I’m not opposed to making an adventure out of picking up and then using an AS on the way back home.