Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #1

1967 26' Overlander
Seagrove , Florida
Planning on purchasing 67 Overlander Sunday. Advice?

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I've lurked without an account some in the last year or so. You guys have a great community.

So here's the deal: my girlfriend and I have been shopping for an airstream to live in full time. We've had a few deals fall through for one reason or another, but are planning on buying a 1967 Overlander this weekend. Is there anything specific to this model or year that we should be on the look out for? The man we're buying it from says that he has worked on airstreams as a hobby for the last 8 years or so. He mentioned a minor plumbing problem that he said he just didn't feel like repairing(just because he doesn't like doing plumbing work). Your thoughts? The agreed upon price, assuming no other issues, is $3600.

Thanks!
peterhorniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
I would of course find out what the minor plbg problem is and how all the other systems operate(or dont). You also want to check your windows and make sure you have no broken glass and that they open and close properly, replacing a window is expensive and some of operator parts are no longer made.

Check the floors/ frame where you can for rot and corrosion and dont forget to check the roof!!

Good luck
kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #3

1967 26' Overlander
Seagrove , Florida
Plumbing "problem"

All good advice. Thank you. I just got off the phone with him and he explained the plumbing issue. The trailer was used on a hunting camp before he bought it and fixed it up. Apparently they disconnected everything but the kitchen sink(no turn of phrase intended) from the water supply, but left all of the lines and fixtures intact. He mentioned that the fix would be pretty simple, and I work for a general contractor, so the thought of buying and replacing a few pex fittings, or the like, is not too daunting, as long as that's all it is.

Do you think it would be a lot to ask him to have it connected to power when we arrive so we can test everything?
peterhorniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
The owner should expect you to want to hook up the trailer and try everything out. This is a great opportunity for him to explain all the systems to you, too. If you can, take a volunteer inspector from the forum with you to help. Don't be afraid to negotiate the price, especially taking into account any "flaws" you may find with the trailer. Whenever you buy anything, especially used, the value is only what someone is willing to pay today.
Good luck and enjoy the ride!
Ken
Old 06-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhorniii View Post
All good advice. Thank you. I just got off the phone with him and he explained the plumbing issue. The trailer was used on a hunting camp before he bought it and fixed it up. Apparently they disconnected everything but the kitchen sink(no turn of phrase intended) from the water supply, but left all of the lines and fixtures intact. He mentioned that the fix would be pretty simple, and I work for a general contractor, so the thought of buying and replacing a few pex fittings, or the like, is not too daunting, as long as that's all it is.

Do you think it would be a lot to ask him to have it connected to power when we arrive so we can test everything?
Id be very particular in looking at a '67 you want to live in full time vs a weekender. I had a '67 that was 4' shorter than yours, spent some time in the southern woods as a camp and had rear floor rot and rear end separation.

Be sure then fixing up he did does not mask problems but properly repaired them. I know it will be tough if this is your first look at an a/s, but push your foot down on the back bumper and make sure the shell moves with it.
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Provo , Utah
My wife and I just bought a 66 Overlander to live in, full time, a little more than a month ago. There's a pretty big learning curve, but I'd love to share anything we've learned in the last month -- if you have any questions.

It looks like you've already bought it, and the exterior looks awesome. That alone will save you loads of time.
kylewbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Lots of good info on a 67 Overlander, Thanks to TomW

1967 Airstream Overlander
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote