Old 03-09-2015, 10:31 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Lafayette , Colorado
PayPal Vouchers for payment?

Hello everyone.

Just a quick question. I have recently contacted a seller on Airstreamclassifieds about their post for a Caravel. I finally heard back tonight, and I am confused. The seller wants me to "send my full name and shipping address" to process the sale through PayPal. To quote "use PayPal vouchers for your proof and they will give you 3 days inspection period".

Has anyone heard of making a secure purchase with PayPal this way?

He claims, "the vouchers will remain in my pocket until I test the trailer" and he "will have the peace of mind that I'm a serious buyer".

I have searched "PayPal Voucher Scams" and haven't found anything. This just seems totally convoluted way to make a sale. Any thoughts?

Crimp

Old 03-09-2015, 10:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Scam, run away as fast as you can.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:49 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
If this was on Airstream Classifieds on this forum, the moderator should be informed and the ad pulled, as this is a SCAM for sure. Be careful, as they are everywhere these days!
WBCCI #7394
2002 Chev 2500 HD Duramax
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:42 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
There is, as far as I know, no such thing as a "paypal voucher." I agree that this is a very scammy request and recommend that you have no further contact with the "seller." I have dealt with the ad in question.

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto ó 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Silver Cliff , Colorado
run run run as fast as you can

Run as fast as you can, it is a scam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimp View Post
Hello everyone.

Just a quick question. I have recently contacted a seller on Airstreamclassifieds about their post for a Caravel. I finally heard back tonight, and I am confused. The seller wants me to "send my full name and shipping address" to process the sale through PayPal. To quote "use PayPal vouchers for your proof and they will give you 3 days inspection period".

Has anyone heard of making a secure purchase with PayPal this way?

He claims, "the vouchers will remain in my pocket until I test the trailer" and he "will have the peace of mind that I'm a serious buyer".

I have searched "PayPal Voucher Scams" and haven't found anything. This just seems totally convoluted way to make a sale. Any thoughts?

Crimp
Old 03-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 21' Globetrotter
Anderson , California
Hmmm... that sounds kinda fishy.

I would tell him I will send a refundable deposit to him through PayPal to secure the deal contingent on, and full payment only if the inspection and deal goes through. If it doesn't it's easy to get your deposit back through PP.

And not a big deposit neither. List those terms on the send money PP payment note. PayPal gives him your address only if he's a member in good standing.

He doesn't need it from you.

Pat
Old 03-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Sounds exactly like the SCAM that is going on with selling other stuff on line. In this case, it's very common for someone to offer a certified check. The way it works is that the certified check is either counterfeit or actually stolen. They make out the check for an amount greater than the sale price, and want you to refund the difference with your own check. You end up with a worthless piece of paper (which, by the way, is initially accepted by your bank, but 30 days later they close your account when they discover the nature of the check.) And by now, you may have also delivered your Airstream (although in the case of the other scam, they simply abandon the goods, but you're out the thing that you're selling, the cash that you refunded, shipping costs, and on the hook for a bogus form of payment.

RUN away from this!!!!! Or better yet, if you're so inclined, either contact your local District Attorney, or at the very least, notify PayPal of the scam.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:24 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Port Orchard , Washington
I have used PayPal for several years and purchased my AS using PayPal. They are very helpful and have retrieved my funds a couple of times form a bad seller. If you go to the PayPal site there is a number to contact them. I would call them and have them verify what this person is telling you.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #9
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Here is a payment option that I will be using when I finally have mine ready to sell, It will cost me a bout $250 to go this way. Maybe you could contact the seller and ask if he would be willing to go this option...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...om-131792.html
Old 03-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #10
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Paypal is awful. It's the easiest way to get ripped off. Make sure what you are looking at exists. Trailer, valid title, bill of sale, signatures, hand him the cash and its a done deal. Welcome to the forum!
Old 03-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Cash! It takes all of the worry out of dealing with strangers.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 03-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Cash! It takes all of the worry out of dealing with strangers.
Cash... it's the only way to fly. I give you cash, you give me the trailer and the clear title. No warranty expressed, implied and should not be inferred. All sales final.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
On that note though, I see folks all the time selling cars and and saying stuff like 'no test drives unless you have cash', and there is NO WAY I would take a wad of cash to a stranger's place to check out their car. I can always come back with the cash later.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
What ever the situation when dealing with strangers it is prudent to use due diligence and maintain condition yellow (if you have to ask, Google it) until clear.