Old 08-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
I use PayPal regularly for purchases and occasionally for selling, and have never had an issue.

Grant Davidson
Milton, ON

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Opened the PayPalaccount for deposit amount only. Reminder will be a bank wire transfer with balance in cashiers check upon pick up.

Did not feel good putting all my personal information in there. I know most all people use it with good experiences.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
OK Michael, what are the details??

Remind me at the next rally.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
2004 28' International CCD
Daphne , Alabama
Paypal showing up everywhere

Have used paypal for over 500 transactions, typically $500 or less. Paypal is showing up at a lot of commercial places like (I think) walmart, Krogers, etc. Check out fees but they are a good place to transfer or receive money
IAMGLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:48 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2008 19' Safari SE
Bandera , Texas
Nothing but good results with PayPal, both buying on the internet, and accepting payments through PayPal for our Guesthouse vacation rental.
banderabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Big +1 on PayPal. I couldn't run my little ecommerce business without it ( ). Never a problem since 1999. It's especially convenient for international transactions with fair exchange rates.

And most folks don't mind using the family and friends option once you're trusted, which eliminates the fee paid by the seller.

John & Vicki
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Very good information being shared. Mostly positive and some good warnings and tips.

Seems we need to exit our comfort zones sometimes and get a little more modern.

Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I'll pose this as a question as much as a comment, to see if my thinking is correct on this. My assumption is that when I pay using PayPal, the seller does not receive information regarding my credit card. So if I buy something from a seller I am not familiar with, I would prefer to use PayPal. PayPal already knows my credit card number, so I'm not risking anything new by using PayPal to buy something. But if I give my credit card number to someone new, then that puts my credit card at risk in one more place.

Another thing I just found out. If you set up an automatic renewal with your credit card, you can't cancel it. You have to get the seller to cancel it. Of course, you can cancel your card, which cancels the automatic payment, but that is a hassle. if you have an automatic renewal on PayPal, and want to stop the payment, you just inform PayPal that you want it stopped and it is stopped. I like that, and have never understood why you can't do that with a credit card automatic payment.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have used paypal for many buying/selling transactions and the fees are high, customer service is nill.
I had a bad experience with their customer service earlier this spring. My computer anti-virus was set up for automatic renewal and paypal was set to pull directly out of a special internet purchase only account I have set up. Well I did not have enough in the account to cover the anti-virus purchase (my fault) and it started to hit the bank account - over draft fees......
I called paypal and they would not stop the transaction and charge it to my credit card instead. It took over a week to get this straightened out and I got smacked with a bunch of fees.....
I hate paypal......but for the most part it works.
Steve, Christy, Anna and Scout (Border Collie)

1994 30'11" Excella - rear twin
2009 Dodge 2500, 6 Speed Auto, CTD, Quad Cab, Short Bed
Hensley with adjustable stinger

WBCCI # 3072
AIR # 6035
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:29 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
I have recently used PayPal when selling a BMW car and a BMW motorcycle out of state. In both cases, I never met the seller. I called PayPal to find out what I needed to do to protect myself. I was told to make sure that the delivery address that the transporter had was the same address on the PayPal account. In both cases, I transferred the money from my PayPal account to my bank account before I released the car and bike. I also charged the buyer the PayPal fee. It's the safest way I know of to make a sale. One of the buyers did not have a PayPal account and I told him I would wait until he set one up and it was verified by PayPal.

The buyer of the car had a pre-buy inspection done by a national company that does them and the bike buyer just relied on pictures that I sent him.
2016 Flying Cloud 26u
2006 2500HD Duramax 4x4 with all new injectors
Equalizer Hitch
Banks 6-Gun
Southlake, TX
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
I have bought and sold items for up to $2,200 on Ebay over the last 18 years using Paypal both in the US and overseas, and still do. My only recommendation is if you are selling something, only do so in a manner where you can document that it was delivered. Paypal will side with the buyer if they claim it wasn't and if you have no delivery confirmation. They will pull the funds back from your account or credit card with no recourse.

My learning experience was fortunately not too expensive. I sold several small items to one buyer over about a week and mailed each in an envelope with stamps as sold. The buyer upon receiving the first bought several more then immediately claimed he had not received any. He did not file a claim with Ebay but directly with Paypal. Even though the claim was made the day of purchase, ie. no way to deliver the item, Paypal pulled the funds and would not look at the details of transaction because USPS could not document delivery. Paypal always backs the buyer! I now mail items that would only require one stamp with delivery confirmation which ups shipping cost to about $2.50

Paypal fees for sales have gone up, but it is a convenient way to do postage and I have sent funds between family members and also to the Vintage Airstream Club with no charges.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:28 PM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I had good luck with Paypal also both in selling and buying. At one time I did buy something that the seller never delivered on. Paypal attempted to contact the seller. When they got no response within 2 weeks, they credited me back the purchase.

I do use Paypal's credit account for larger purchases, which used to be named "Bill Me Later". Most of my purchases are done through that service which gives me the option of spreading the payments out 6-12 months with no interest payments. I always like using someone else's money when it doesn't cost me any interest.
Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
PLEASE BE CAREFUL. A lot, almost all, airstream scam postings on eBay or online try to get people to pay using a eBay or pay pal escro account for the transaction.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:15 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member
Rohnert Park , California
For the most part, PayPal has been great when I've made relatively small purchases over the Internet. But you have to keep an eye on your PayPal account and the bank account that it's attached to.

A couple of years ago, some scammer somehow started making deductions from my bank account that showed up as PayPal purchases. At first, it was very small amounts that I didn't notice, but over time, they grew larger and larger. PayPal had no record of any transactions at all.

It took a while to get it all straightened out and it was a major pain in the neck. I had to close my bank account and open a new one. Along with that, I had to change all of my banking passwords. I also had to close my PayPal account and open a new one. Additionally, I had to instruct the bank not to transfer any PayPal "purchases" made on my old bank account to my new one while things changed over. Other normal purchases were OK to transfer.

To this day, I still don't know how a scammer could get fraudulent transactions to show up as PayPal purchases without PayPal being involved.

SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote