Old 08-30-2006, 11:46 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
2002 16' Bambi
mountain view , California
Buying at a distance

This is just to relate our recent experience in obtaining our (wonderful) Bambi from a private party which we found here in the classifieds. I knew right away I had to have this one because of its' floorplan, but it was 3300 miles away! The seller wanted me to send a check and then volunteered to drive it out.

Instead, I drew up a contract to protect both of us, and the seller modified it until we were both content. The terms of the contract provided that I put the money into an escrow account ( ....charges @ 10% for a fee.) We provided signatures via "fax."

The contract also stipulated that "Bambi" pass an inspection, and I located an RV dealership for this. (The closest Airstream dealer was not in the least interested in doing this!.) It did not occur to me to look in the forum for an inspector, but I think that is possibly a better alternative. Anyway, the dealer was extremely helpful! Even though it was their busiest time of year, the service department took pity on me, looked it over and repaired a couple of small plumbing leaks. They told me it was in excellent shape,... although no one (not the seller either ) ever mentioned there was one v. slight longish dent on the side, or that the inside was stained with oxidation, or that the holding tank pan was damaged! (We all have our own definition of excellence! )

The head of the service department also agreed to act as my "agent" at no extra charge) and agreed to store the trailer "free" for up to one week while the shipper arranged for pick-up. (Isn't that nice?)

Upon passing inspection I asked the seller put the "title" into overnight mail, and when I received it, I released the escrow monies to her bank account.

I found the shipper from and was v. pleased with their service.

I'd be happy to e-mail a copy of the contract we drew up if you need a sample to modify to your needs. I'm new at this...I think...there is probably a way for you to contact me through the forum?

teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:00 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Well we did the deed. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have been comfortable with the way we worked it out, but in this case all's well that ends well.

We flew out to see the trailer and do the best inspection that, as newbies, we could do. (Kudos to the inspection checklist I found on this site - it helped a lot.)

We did the deal onsite (1000 miles away), got insurance (again, thanks for the forums tip on using Progressive) and then wrote up a separate contract to have the dealer deliver the trailer to us - once we had the title. A few days later our trailer arrived, and we're happy as clams.

Visiting the dealer helped ease our concerns because we got a tour of his many wonderful completed trailer restorations and of a few jobs in progress. It was clear to us that this was no fly-by-night operation.

So yeah! After thinking about this for several years, we finally have a, a tow vehicle : )

Thanks to you all for your help!

just starting to search!
darkStar is offline   Reply With Quote