Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Morton , Illinois
I would not pay in full until delivery. As mentioned above, SCAM comes to mind. I would understand a deposit, but not payment in full. They might be legitimate, they might have other buyers, or they might have financial difficulties and disappear before you get there. I wouldn't risk it, unless it was through PayPal, even then, I would be very, very cautious. We work way too hard for our money to let someone else use it!
CLKIESER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wayzata , Minnesota
If I were you, I would amend the paperwork by crossing out the "send money" part and handwriting in that payment is due upon satisfactory inspection. Anything else in the paperwork you don't like should be treated the same way. And if you don't have anything in writing about the deposit, I would write in on the page somewhere that the deposit of $xx is fully refundable if one of the parties wants out. Don't make any agreements over the phone. I am not a lawyer, but I worked for some... Good luck!

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." (E.B. White)
WendyW. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #23
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
...But on a used model the dealer is not really out anything if you choose not to buy upon inspection.
Unless LolaT doesn't buy and the dealer [I]could[I]have sold it to someone else.

LolaT, I would tell the dealer you'll pay for it after you get there. Just check to see if it's still available right before leaving home for it.
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Any reputable dealer will let you change your mind and give you the check back if you change your mind. I got cold feet and almost changed my mind. The dealer was OK with that.
It is customary for the dealer to put fresh water in the holding tank. You want water in the holding tank if you need to use the restroom or cook while underway. Mine tows a lot smoother with a full tank of fresh water. Having said that, I need to put fresh water in the tank tomorrow. The truck gets the same mileage whether the tank is full or empty. I have about 1,200# of cargo capacity left on the trailer and 1,600# towing capacity left on the truck when fully loaded ready to camp.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
They are a legit dealership. They're not going to shut it down before we get there : )
They have taken it off their internet sales page with our deposit.

But, I agree with WendyW, that's probably the best way to handle it at this point if that's how they want to play it. I guess I would have preferred a bit of hand-holding treatment on our first Airstream purchase instead of strong-arming. It's not really strong-arming, more like passive-aggressive collection of money. Ha ha.
LolaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
NEVER pay for cars, boats, trucks or trailers without swapping your cash or certified check for a duly-assigned title. The dealer's floor plan lender may be holding the title. You need to make sure the dealer is square with its floor plan lender and that there is no problem getting the title.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:50 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
We aren't used to the Internet age way of buying. I was @ a VW dealer to see a used Jeep not yet out on the lot. I couldn't buy it. A guy from CO bought it 1 hour after ad was posted on IN, about 2 hours before I arrived. He wired the cash & paid for shipping. When he sees it, it will be his.
The used A/S dealer may fear missing a sale if holding a unit for a buyer who never comes. What is a refundable deposit? A couple of weeks sounds like a long time.
If U want that trailer, go buy it . TODAY
Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:47 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
My suggestion would be to do a very thorough Internet search as to reviews of the seller. I have had what appears to be legitimate sellers yet it was totally a scam to steal my money.

Ms. Tommie Lauer
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:44 AM   #29
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
When you go and when you fall in love and when everything is as it should be, extend them a certified check. They held waiting for you, now let them have their money immediately with the certified check.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:59 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
As an option you might offer to bring cash to the sale, instead of a check. In that way ease their mind a bit about a bounced check, if in fact that is their concern. I would, however, not pay for the AS prior to a final walk thru, inspection read thru of their inspection by their certified AS mechanic and the mechanics sign off. Private party different, but you are buying from a dealer so you are paying a premium for that "service".

Good Luck
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:47 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Alaska View Post
We aren't used to the Internet age way of buying. I was @ a VW dealer to see a used Jeep not yet out on the lot. I couldn't buy it. A guy from CO bought it 1 hour after ad was posted on IN, about 2 hours before I arrived. He wired the cash & paid for shipping. When he sees it, it will be his.
The used A/S dealer may fear missing a sale if holding a unit for a buyer who never comes. What is a refundable deposit? A couple of weeks sounds like a long time.
If U want that trailer, go buy it . TODAY
Let's Roll !
Wolf
We can't get it any sooner because we have to drive out of state to get it. Because we haven't towed before, we need to install a new air compressor for the suspension in our car, the brake controller, wiring, new hitch etc. and order the WD anti-sway system.
LolaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:27 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wayzata , Minnesota
One more thought -- I've heard of purchasing a "right of first refusal." If you see something you like but have just started your search, you can negotiate paying some amount for a right of first refusal, wherein when someone else wants to actually buy the RV, at that point the seller must contact you to either come buy it right then or forfeit the amount that held your right. But if you do go back and buy, the earnest money is applied to the purchase price. I've heard of sellers selling rights to third and fourth refusals!

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." (E.B. White)
WendyW. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:02 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Earnest? Ernest? Money-
A small refundable deposit showing that you are interested and not just playing around-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:23 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Not sure if it's possible, but you might see about putting the total amount into an escrow account held by your attorney in their name, released to them upon your approval at pick up. That way they would know the funds are there. OR you could do what I do when buying a car, which I do a lot of. I always finance with a simply loan. Money is there, up front but cannot be paid until truck or car is signed for per financial institution. Then when first months payment is due I pay it off. With trucks at Ford I often get another $1,000 off for using Ford Credit, go figure.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:04 AM   #35
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
I'd pass on this Airstream if the dealership insists on advance payment in full prior to your arriving to inspect and accept the trailer. Let me repeat, I'd pass!

On a forum about Adventure travel, there is a two year long thread about a pop up camper where the person was required to pay in full. The camper had multiple faults, the builder wouldn't stand behind the product, and the owner eventually sold for a big loss.

Granted, I don't expect similar issues from an Airstream, but something doesn't pass the sniff test on the deal.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:24 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
A few years ago I sent $1000 to someone who had a great review on the web, and when I drove up to Cleveland to pickup my "fully restored" Citroen 2 CV, the paint had runs, the interior was literally rotten, and I later discovered the car came from France, had been painted in the French prison shop.....somewhere near Hell, for those unfamiliar with French prisons.

To get my deposit returned I had to put my review up first. As in blackmailed!

If one drops large bucks into an unknown company's hands, this would not IMO be wise. Every business I know of accepts a deposit to hold, full payment at delivery.

The motivation of a seller demanding full payment may be grounded in others refusing to accept the goods once they could do an inspection. Trailers like buses come along every minute. Wait for one you can purchase using appropriate business practices.

Ms. Tommie Lauer
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
I'd make a trip out to see it. Then buy with free storage for two months. Make another trip/ vacation to pick it up and try it out.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:59 AM   #38
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
If this dealer is asking you for full payment on a trailer you have not seen (and they know you have not seen it) something is wrong. This is not the way business is conducted. I agree with previous poster, if they are not happy with your current deposit and the time it is going to take you to close the deal (essentially time for you to get there) then I would request your deposit back. The attitude of this dealership is bad Carma and don't get in deeper then you should.
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Others have given great advice - I can offer only one additional piece. Tell us where this used Airstream is located and see if we've got a member who will go and inspect it for you, taking multiple photographs inside outside underneath and on top. I'd hope that we might find a retired police officer of retired FBI agent to do the inspection, too. That could be amusing - but not necessarily so for the seller.

You are First Time RV buyers. You might as well wear a deer costume and romp in the woods on the first day of hunting season. There are dishonest sellers out there dreaming of finding buyers like you. The deal might be legit, but I'd give odds of 90% against it. The MOST important thing you should know is that Airstreams are not one of a kind - they made hundreds if not thousands of the model you're looking to buy... if this one isn't right there will be another one around the corner.

The advice to go yourself and buy with 2 months of free storage - good, but a little incomplete. If the seller is not a dealer with a good reputation, there's not a whole lot to stop him from re-selling your unit after you leave town. Again if you could jointly evaluate the Airstream with a forum member who's a professional restorer, or can bend rebar with his bare hands - that would be a bonus.

On the other hand - if this is a legit dealer, they need to turn over their stock and having something as destinctive as an Airstream sitting on the lot for a couple of months isn't good for business. So, is this a full fledged dealership and do they have a storage lot?

So, share please.

Paula
Old 05-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Shady Airstream dealer ? I can't imagine they would last long. Never pay in full and walk away without title in hand. FOILED, I can bend cooked spaghetti...does that count?
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote