Old 08-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Asheville , North Carolina
Overlander listing....red-flags??

Anything about this particular model one would be concerned with....

She’s all cleaned up and ready for your finishing touches. *We bought this 68 Overlander Land Yacht (26 footer) with the intention of fixing her up to live in at retirement time but personal issues have forced a change in plan. *Exterior is in near mint condition. *Interior cabinets all original beautiful condition. *Lots of storage. *Appliances all worked last time we used her. *Comes with original 3-burner gas cook top, oven, frig, double sink. *Central gas heat. *Bathroom has toilet, small tub, shower, sink, lots of cabinets and really cool retro lighted makeup mirror that pulls out from the wall. *Two new windows. *One already installed, the other ready to install. *Good tires (not too old) and good brakes. *Removed all of the original beds to put in new vinyl flooring which is all done now. *We haven’t put new beds in because we figured this was something new owners might want to configure to fit their needs and this is reflected in the price. *Originally it had one double bed in the front which we were going to make a queen and one single in the back which we were going to make into a table area with seating because we didn‘t need the second bed. *We also set up the plumbing to attach a new water tank in that back area. *She’s a real “classic beauty” ready for someone handy to take her over and finish restoring her to all her former glory. *Wouldn’t take much to make her all yours. *Clean title. *Just want to get our money out at this point so we can move on to Plan B. *Asking $8,750.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
This trailer should be painted RED. Sounds like a lot of work, Interior out, Windows removed,Needs new axles, Appliances may not be working. Who knows what was done to the plumbing. Sounds like it should be half the price at most.

98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Overland listing....red-flags??

Greetings jjkitt!

Welcome to the Forums!

I don't know that I would go so far as to call them "red-flags", but there are several concerns that are raised by the tex of the description:
  • *Appliances all worked last time we used her . . . This statement leaves one hanging . . . when was the coach last used? What has transpired since the coach was last used? At the price being asked ALL appliances should be fully functional and I would expect most to be new . . . particularly water heater, furnace, and refrigerator. The original Armstraon air conditioners can be repaired by a knowledgable air conditioning technician and IMHO provide better service than their modern replacements.
  • *Interior cabinets all original beautiful condition . . . This statement is inconsistent . . . if beds have been removed then some of the original cabinetry is missing and could be difficult to replace if one wants to match the original wood finishes.
  • Two new windows. *One already installed, the other ready to install . . . This raises the question of how many windows are in need of replacement. The 1966-1968 coaches utilized Owens Corning tempered glass curved windows that are subject to damage and replacements can be difficult to find . . . they are being reproduced, but often it is necessary to wait for a production run of the size that you need . . . and be prepared as the replacements are not inexpensive. Often, in years past and even today, some owners utilize either Lexan or Plexiglass to replace these windows with varying degrees of success.
  • *Good tires (not too old) and good brakes. . . . If tires are four years old or older be prepared to replace as LT tires tend to have a lifespan of no more than four or five years before blowouts become problematic.
  • *Removed all of the original beds to put in new vinyl flooring which is all done now. *We haven’t put new beds in because we figured this was something new owners might want to configure to fit their needs and this is reflected in the price. . . . This could be a "can of worms" if they have disposed of the original cabinetry and mechanisms (as well as cushions that could act as patterns). This coach would have had either individual twin beds on either side of a central aisle mounted on base cabinets . . . and a front pull-out lounge that made up into a full-size bed.
  • *Originally it had one double bed in the front which we were going to make a queen and one single in the back which we were going to make into a table area with seating because we didn‘t need the second bed. . . . This coach evidently started out life as an Overlander Double which meant that it had a pull-out lounge that converted into a double bed on one side of the center aisle with a dressing table/wardrobe on the opposite wall . . . a similar convertible lounge would have been found in the front of the coach that would convert into a double-bed as well.
Nothing is mentioned about axles . . . a near certain item that will need to be replaced particularly if the coach is still riding on its originals. New axles could add in the vicinity of $2,000 to the cost depending upon where they are sourced.

I would be reluctant to pay much more than half of what is being asked for the coach given the information provided . . . things that might increase my valuation of the coach would be the following:
  • Proof that the following appliances are less than five years old or have been rebuilt by a qualified rebuilder:
    • Furnace
    • Water Heater
  • Positive proof that the axles are less than five years of age.
  • Proof that the range and oven are both fully functional. The ovens have been noted for having temperatmental thermostats and to a lesser degree pilot light assemblies. The ranges don't have any particular nuances with which I am familiar.
  • The Air conditioner has been checked out by a qualified air conditioning technician and is known to be fully functional and not in need of immediate parts replacements. If the air conditioner is not an Armstrong Bay Breeze or a similar Armstrong unit, I would be wary if the air air conditioner is more than six or seven years old.
  • Absolute assurance that all Corning windows are present and in good condition . . . an missing or non-glass windows can be a costly situation to correct.
  • Assurance that the floor is solid throughout the coach and that there is no evidence of frame damage, or rear end separation.
IMHO . . . this coach is over-priced . . . at the asking price, I would expect a camping ready coach needing almost nothing to complete. Based on the description there may be significant costs in the future to have a fully functional coach. If you would like to see the original floorplan for this coach, see this link.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
  • Two new windows. *One already installed, the other ready to install . . . This raises the question of how many windows are in need of replacement. The 1966-1968 coaches utilized Owens Corning tempered glass curved windows that are subject to damage and replacements can be difficult to find . . . they are being reproduced, but often it is necessary to wait for a production run of the size that you need . . . and be prepared as the replacements are not inexpensive. Often, in years past and even today, some owners utilize either Lexan or Plexiglass to replace these windows with varying degrees of success.
I'm just curious because I almost bought a trailer that had these windows about a year ago and in doing the research I found that the Corning windows had been reproduced for a short time only (and there were installation problems because they were thicker). Do you know of a source that is currently making them?
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Asheville , North Carolina
Thanks!!!

Kevin,

The pdf with the different floor-plans layouts is exactly what i needed to distinguish the difference in the models. Also, much obliged to you all for the tips...as a first time buyer the knowledge and experience you all have is re-assuring and quite frankly comforting as I begin the exciting journey in finding and owning my first AS!! Thanks again!!!