Old 06-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #15
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
dlb435,
A few of the dimensions you list aren't correct. The wide body models came out around 1994. Wide body models are 8'5.5" wide on the outside. 8'1" wide on the inside. They are 6'7.5" inside height. Some models are a little shorter in height.
The older trailers, 1969-1982, were 7'8" exterior width. They were 6'7" inside height.
Most Airstream specifications can be found here.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
dlb - thanks for the info. That explains a lot. Mutcth - re: the Safari bunkhouse - love it! Especially the desk next to the door. I think that bathroom set up would work for me - all I'm really looking for is enough room in the bathroom that I can close the door when using the toilet. Some of us are shy. I think the extra single bed could be converted to storage and/or a place for kitty's litter box. Robert - you make a good point - I'm coming to the conclusion that I'd be better off getting a new or almost new trailer (like the bunkhouse - really like that floorplan) to start with, spend 2 or 3 years touring the U.S., and then go back to living in a house and use the trailer for trips. At that point it might be fun to get something smaller and vintage and rebuild it. How will I be able to afford a house then if I can't afford it now you ask? Well, as they say "And then a miracle happens." Or, "I'll worry about it when I get there."

Old 06-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
Top - my next question was going to be "is there a website where I can see the floorplans for all the old Airstream models?" - but you answered the question before I asked it. Thank you! After looking at the photos of the Bunkhouse I like it even better. I can see my cat running up the bunkhouse steps and sleeping on the top bunk.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I don't believe you can buy a large Airstream and a substantial tow vehicle, then tour the country for a couple years, for less than living in a small home. In fact, it will be a lot more expensive.

My guess is that if the adventure fails, it is good to have a backup plan that does not involve homeless shelters.

Maybe its best to keep the little house somehow, then make some smaller treks from time to time. Get some practice before jumping into the game. An Airstream is an expensive indulgence, there are other ways to see the country.

doug k
Old 06-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb435 View Post
The biggest reason for the weight gain in AS trailers was the body type. The older trailers were 8' wide and only about 6' 2" high inside. During the late 1970's the FB (fat body) trailers came out. ...
That would be very late 70s. Mid 90s in fact, see http://www.airforums.com/forums/f258...5-a-76248.html for one discussion of when the wide body models began.

My 1983 34' Excella is a narrow body.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
Yes, I agree that touring the U.S. in an Airstream would not be less expensive than staying in my house. However, because of the housing prices in the San Francisco Bay area I could sell the house, buy a brand-new 30 foot Airstream and new 3/4 ton pick-up to pull it and still have enough cash left over to live on (combined with Social Security) for at least 5 years. If I stay in the house I'd have to take out a reverse mortgage and go into debt about $1,500 every month, and not be able to afford to go any farther than my patio. Bear in mind that I have heart disease and diabetes and have already had a major heart attack that more than one cardiologist told me I shouldn't have survived, so I don't really need to plan too many years ahead (my wife has relatives that can take care of her when I'm gone).
Old 06-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
Yes, I agree that touring the U.S. in an Airstream would not be less expensive than staying in my house. However, because of the housing prices in the San Francisco Bay area I could sell the house, buy a brand-new 30 foot Airstream and new 3/4 ton pick-up to pull it and still have enough cash left over to live on (combined with Social Security) for at least 5 years. If I stay in the house I'd have to take out a reverse mortgage and go into debt about $1,500 every month, and not be able to afford to go any farther than my patio. Bear in mind that I have heart disease and diabetes and have already had a major heart attack that more than one cardiologist told me I shouldn't have survived, so I don't really need to plan too many years ahead (my wife has relatives that can take care of her when I'm gone).
Because we have made some "mistakes" along the way, and have literally paid the price, I would add caution regarding the choice of a tow vehicle. We once owned a heavy fiver and eventually had to buy a one ton dually which was adequate for that 15K monster, but believe me, it was not overdoing it!

When we traded for the AS---30'---we thought we had "too much" truck, and perhaps we do, but after experiencing the ease with which our truck handles the towing load, AND all the STUFF we eventually placed in the covered bed of the truck, we are very happy that we have this truck.

It is better to have "too much" truck at the onset, and by the time you have that rascal loaded and motoring down the road, then you have "just enough" truck.

IMHO I wouldn't pull a 30' with less than a one ton SRW at least.....
Old 06-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
Very good point. No real downside to having a little more towing capacity than necessary. I ran across some photos of a Panamerica - looking at the little garage in back I'm visualizing a Vespa (with a sidecar) parked in it. Just the thing for getting around town. But from what I can see the Panamericas are rare and costly.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
tucson , Arizona
70's trailer weigh vs newer models.

70's airstreams were much lighter because the interiors were aluminum framing with mostly 1/8" material for cabinets etc. also the floors are plywood not osb which is much lighter. my wife and i looked at newer trailers and the cabinets inside are all particle board which is way heavier than older AS so get older AS and make it your own.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
It is better to have "too much" truck at the onset, and by the time you have that rascal loaded and motoring down the road, then you have "just enough" truck.

IMHO I wouldn't pull a 30' with less than a one ton SRW at least.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
Very good point. No real downside to having a little more towing capacity than necessary.
Mr. Bill,

You should be aware that there is a camp that puts forth believable evidence that too much truck will give your AS a rough ride. A "shake the rivets out, literally" kind of ride.

I don't think that would be A Good Thing...
Old 06-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Mr. Bill,

You should be aware that there is a camp that puts forth believable evidence that too much truck will give your AS a rough ride. A "shake the rivets out, literally" kind of ride.

I don't think that would be A Good Thing...
We have only towed our AS a little over 5K miles, but some of those roads were in sunny, but bumpy California! Our 1 ton DRW drove like a champ and we have never had any problems with the rivet question, altho I admit that it might be a potential problem for some. Speed is often the major consideration with the rivet problem....driving too hard and too fast.

On our return home this past outing we were able to ascend 6-7% grades at 60mph without any hesitation. Could have even driven faster!!

Our suspension may be a bit softer than normal because we towed a fiver for a year which had a tongue wt. of 3400#!!

I would rather have a little too much truck than not enough to provide a large enough buffer with the "weight" considerations. Zigi