Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Merced , California
Newbie needs help

Hi everyone,
Just joined although have been visiting for a while. I'm in the market for a mid to late 70's sovereign. My intention is to place it in my backyard and convert it into a man cave/beer hall. I found one that fits my criteria and it's only 90 miles from me. It's completely gutted although the owner claims it has all the side panels (?) inside. I'm planning on taking a look at it over Halloween (Sunday morning/early afternoon) weekend and was wondering if there was anyone with vintage airstream knowledge in the Fresno, CA area that would be willing to take a quick 30 minute trip with me to take a look at it and help me inspect it. If I can't convince anyone for a short trip (lunch would be obviously included) any tips would be appreciated as well. If this isn't appropriate for this forum, let me know and I will remove it immediately.

Thanks!
Davin
Zernen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

If you can post or private message me the ad for the trailer and whatever information you may already have from the seller, I can look it over and point out any red flags that I see. Otherwise, go to the Portal tab at the top of the page and find the "Buyer's Inspection Checklist" This list will walk you through everything in terms of checking the trailer over.

Now, if your intention is to park it in the back yard and never move it again, there is a fair amount of stuff that you needn't worry too much about, as long as it is safe to tow to your location. Also, how long are you planning on keeping it? Are you concerned about relatively short-term resale value? Is there any chance you will get the camping bug and decide to fix it up and tow it around? Do you want working plumbing (ie., running water and toilet facilities) for your beer cave?

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote