Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2007, 07:35 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Michael -- Your profile says you have a 2006 F-150. Your manual would be the definitive source but a similar perspective is at 2007 F-150 specs (click on Payload Package Selector). Your truck has a maximum GVWR. You will find that emergency maneuvers and durability are enhanced if you don't exceed 85% of that GVWR. Curb weight (empty) + maximum payload = GVWR.

Figure out what aftermarket options you've added to the truck (truck cap?) and what you want to carry (driver + passengers, pets, cargo in box). Add any prospective Airstream's tongue weight -- probably add 200# for weight distribution gear, LP in the tanks, and minimal personal gear aboard - actual weighing is the only way to be sure when you are loaded camp-ready (see http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/hitch-weight-bathroom-scale-24195.html). You need to stay honest to being within this limit, regardless of what public relations big tow capacity number comes with your package. As many of us have found, if you stay within a tow vehicle's payload capacity you'll probably rarely approach tow capacity or GCWR. Manufacturers compute these latter numbers with an un-optioned truck, almost no gas, and the lightest steeplechase rider they can put behind the wheel -- not very 'real world.'

Vintage Airstreams can be about 1000# lighter than their modern length equivalents. It would be dicey trying to tow a heavy 28'. You might need to load with some care to pull a newer 25' with a 1/2-ton truck -- just pay attention to the payload capacity and you'll be okay. I know you're putting a lot of consideration into your pursuit of the perfect Airstream for your family!

What engine do you have in your Ford?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:40 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Michael -- Your profile says you have a 2006 F-150. Your manual would be the definitive source, but a similar perspective is at 2007 F-150 specs (click on Payload Package Selector). Your truck has a maximum GVWR. You will find that emergency maneuvers and durability are enhanced if you don't exceed 85% of that GVWR. Curb weight (empty) + maximum payload = GVWR.

Figure out what aftermarket options you've added to the truck (truck cap?) and what you want to carry (driver + passengers, pets, cargo in box). Add any prospective Airstream's tongue weight -- probably add 200# for weight distribution gear, LP in the tanks, and minimal personal gear aboard. Actual weighing is the only way to be sure of the hitch weight range when a travel trailer is loaded camp-ready (see http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/hitch-weight-bathroom-scale-24195.html). You need to stay honest about being within this limit regardless of what public relations big tow capacity number comes with your package. As many of us have found, if you stay within a tow vehicle's payload capacity you'll probably rarely approach tow capacity or GCWR. Manufacturers compute these latter numbers with an un-optioned truck, almost no gas, and the lightest steeplechase rider they can put behind the wheel -- not very 'real world.'

Vintage Airstreams can be about 1000# lighter than their modern length equivalents. It would be dicey trying to tow a heavy 28'. You might need to load with some care to pull a newer 25' with a 1/2-ton truck -- just pay attention to the payload capacity and you'll be okay. I know you're putting a lot of consideration into your pursuit of the perfect Airstream for your family!

What engine do you have in your Ford?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:20 AM   #43

1976 Argosy 28
Holly , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG911
Hello all, please forgive me if this question is getting old however our local Airstream dealer doesn't have much in the way of inventory for us to get a feel for these beauties.

So, how does one know if a 25' model is too long or not big enough? We're hoping for weekend get-aways to week long vacations and we are a young family with one 18 month old daughter.

Also, the floor plans have me baffled a bit. We've found a nice 1999 25' Safari but the bed lay out is a twin. That does not seem romantic nor cozy. Who is this lay-out geared towards? The price is right, could one make it a double with relatively easy modifications? I assume the couch pulls out to a double but the seller hasn't confirmed that yet.

Since reading a few posts, perhaps I should be considering the CCD's also. I thought the Safari was the way to go but have been hearing good things about the CCD's. I really don't know the difference however...

Thanks for your time and I look forward to any insight.

Mike
I am trying to Reply to Mike's question. We have a 28 Argosy so we have some experience which may be helpful, if you want to contact me. I am having difficulty getting a reply out to you.
Jean
jeanvess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:21 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Hi Jean...I picked up a 28' Safari in Holland, Mi. just last week. All is good! We LOVE it so far.
Mike
MG911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:39 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
Many 25 ft Airstreams have twin beds in the floor plan. The front sofa makes into a bed for 2 also.
Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:50 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
Canfield , Ohio
I am glad to see you went with the 28'. We are also a young family and find that our 28 footer is enough space for us. Congrats and enjoy.
Heather
Hamb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Hi Heather, somebody much wiser than I told me in an earlier post to go with the largest trailer you can possibly afford as you'll always grow into it. He was absolutely right - we love it!
MG911 is offline   Reply With Quote