Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Found Another One - and need some more guidance

Hi Folks,
Thanks again to all those who offered help and support on my "1978 Sovereign hunting lodge" find. I have located another one (this time it's a 76 Ambassador) in the same price range and have received a number of pictures from the owner. I have a few concerns with this one as well, that perhaps the experienced members can shed some light on.

According to the owner: "The bed needs put back in". It looks lile new carpet - maybe that's why the bed was removed in the first place? My concerns stem from some of the mechanicals showing in the pic of the rear bedroom...what is that electrical box? Is it supposed to be there? and I see plkumbing coming thru the wall. Is that normal. According to him, EVERYTHING works! If those fixtures should not be there is it possible that the bath was moved?

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STA72829.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	122160   Click image for larger version

Name:	STA72835.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	122161  

Name:	STA72837.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	122163  
Attached Images

Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #22
x

XXXX , XXXX
Phrunes the Ambassador is a center bath rear twin beds model. It is nearly impossible to move the bathroom due to window and vent stack locations. It looks likea clean unit with the original stove and fridge. The stove top is clean and free of rust.
The electrical box looks to be original and I can't see clearly the plumbing coming through the wall that you speak off but the city water line does enter the trailer at that point.
Does the seller have the beds? Can you post somer more pics of the exterior which will help determine the condition of the shell and hint toward the axle/tire condition as well. The crease that can be seen in the front curbside lower end cap section is liveable and doesn't look that the shell has been punctured.
I would again look closely at the floor by pulling up the edges of the carpet. I'm always suspicious of new flooring/carpet unless a total renovation has been done. This type of quick fix is lipstick and mascara and can be used to hide the real condtion of the floor. One member here pulled up new laminate flooring only to find tin cans and scrap metal for a sub floor.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If you can't pull up the carpet, take an ice pick with you to test the subfloor. The pick will pierce the carpet without damaging it. Pay particular attention to around the wheel wells and where the walls join the floor beneath windows and at the door.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
In my experience, with a 1976 trailer, unless it's been stored inside, I'd budget frame repair (if not replacement), new air conditioner, new vent fans, window gaskets, door gaskets, tires, axles, new 7-way & probably new running lights, new break away switch, new water heater, new furnace, new cooking stove, new converter, new refrigerator, new floor covering, new drapes, and probably new water regulator, back-pressure regulator, and pump. Another 15k should do it if labor is free.

If it needs a whole new frame, add another 5k.

A rock guard will cover the front dent. I think those are less than $500.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
A Big thanks for your words. I'll put up some more pics in a sec.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Here are a few more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	STA72830.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	122217   Click image for larger version

Name:	STA72833.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	122218  

Attached Images

Old 02-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Phrunes the Ambassador is a center bath rear twin beds model. It is nearly impossible to move the bathroom due to window and vent stack locations. It looks likea clean unit with the original stove and fridge. The stove top is clean and free of rust.
The electrical box looks to be original and I can't see clearly the plumbing coming through the wall that you speak off but the city water line does enter the trailer at that point.
Does the seller have the beds? Can you post somer more pics of the exterior which will help determine the condition of the shell and hint toward the axle/tire condition as well. The crease that can be seen in the front curbside lower end cap section is liveable and doesn't look that the shell has been punctured.
I would again look closely at the floor by pulling up the edges of the carpet. I'm always suspicious of new flooring/carpet unless a total renovation has been done. This type of quick fix is lipstick and mascara and can be used to hide the real condtion of the floor. One member here pulled up new laminate flooring only to find tin cans and scrap metal for a sub floor.

Yes, he has the beds
Old 02-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Oh, and this is another west coast coach...does that effect the rust situation much?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #29
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Oh, and this is another west coast coach...does that effect the rust situation much?
Definately if it has spent it's whole life there. Some of the restorations I have seen from California during the tear down the frame was in amazing shape. The floor however is another matter.
I can see from the pics that the A/C is a replacement unit. Ask the seller who did it as there is a necessary alteration to make this change.
It does look very clean and all original with the exception of the carpet. The shell seems to be almost damage free. If all the appliances work then it is definately a better bet than the other one.
Check the floor for rot and budget in the near distant future for axles.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote