Old 02-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #15
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
I'd say that trailer is worth $1000 and no more.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #16
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Its hard to see from the picture, but what is that on the roof? Is it a huge skylight?

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Not sure...I saw it too. I'm going to take a trip out to look at it next week. I hope it's not some goofy "fix" to the AC unit. We'll see.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
That is not a 78. The door hinge is a giveaway. It is a 71 - 73 based on the door handle and a few other things.

The items of concern are really not visible in the picture. The quads are hiding the axles and the other major concern is the rear bumper to shell connection. Standing on the rear bumper will tell you a lot.

What you can see looks good, but a good inspection will tell you much more.
Richard,
Is there a resource where I can enter the VIN # to confirm it's age and/or build date prior to making the trip out to look at it?
Thanks.
Matt
Old 02-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #19
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Richard,
Is there a resource where I can enter the VIN # to confirm it's age and/or build date prior to making the trip out to look at it?
Thanks.
Matt
The 70s were the easiest years to determine they year from the VIN. Take a look here:
Airstream, Inc :: Serial Numbers

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #20

Currently Looking...
North Las Vegas , Nevada
Phrunes, I've been looking for an AS to buy for over three months. That doesn't make me an expert on AS, but I'm getting pretty good at reading between the lines of the sales talk. The problems you know with this one may only be the problems known by the seller. I've talked to a LOT of sellers who don't know what year, length or model they have, so how can we expect them to know about the true condition of the unit?

As said repeatedly, the 70s Sovereigns are ALL OVER the place for sale, and they're probably not ever going to be collectible or "RARE" in the sense some sellers trying to present them. While it's not what I'm trying to find, I've seen the ads. There are plenty out there priced the same as the asking on this one that SOUND like they're in better condition than this, and some are even near you. The prices you see here for the systems components you'll need are a good guideline.

Take a breath and don't rush into this one. Take advantage of the inspectors who are members on the forum. Good luck and let us know the outcome.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Found Another One - and need some more guidance

Hi Folks,
Thanks again to all those who offered help and support on my "1978 Sovereign hunting lodge" find. I have located another one (this time it's a 76 Ambassador) in the same price range and have received a number of pictures from the owner. I have a few concerns with this one as well, that perhaps the experienced members can shed some light on.

According to the owner: "The bed needs put back in". It looks lile new carpet - maybe that's why the bed was removed in the first place? My concerns stem from some of the mechanicals showing in the pic of the rear bedroom...what is that electrical box? Is it supposed to be there? and I see plkumbing coming thru the wall. Is that normal. According to him, EVERYTHING works! If those fixtures should not be there is it possible that the bath was moved?

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STA72829.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	122160   Click image for larger version

Name:	STA72835.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	122161  

Name:	STA72837.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	122163  
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #22
x

XXXX , XXXX
Phrunes the Ambassador is a center bath rear twin beds model. It is nearly impossible to move the bathroom due to window and vent stack locations. It looks likea clean unit with the original stove and fridge. The stove top is clean and free of rust.
The electrical box looks to be original and I can't see clearly the plumbing coming through the wall that you speak off but the city water line does enter the trailer at that point.
Does the seller have the beds? Can you post somer more pics of the exterior which will help determine the condition of the shell and hint toward the axle/tire condition as well. The crease that can be seen in the front curbside lower end cap section is liveable and doesn't look that the shell has been punctured.
I would again look closely at the floor by pulling up the edges of the carpet. I'm always suspicious of new flooring/carpet unless a total renovation has been done. This type of quick fix is lipstick and mascara and can be used to hide the real condtion of the floor. One member here pulled up new laminate flooring only to find tin cans and scrap metal for a sub floor.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If you can't pull up the carpet, take an ice pick with you to test the subfloor. The pick will pierce the carpet without damaging it. Pay particular attention to around the wheel wells and where the walls join the floor beneath windows and at the door.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
In my experience, with a 1976 trailer, unless it's been stored inside, I'd budget frame repair (if not replacement), new air conditioner, new vent fans, window gaskets, door gaskets, tires, axles, new 7-way & probably new running lights, new break away switch, new water heater, new furnace, new cooking stove, new converter, new refrigerator, new floor covering, new drapes, and probably new water regulator, back-pressure regulator, and pump. Another 15k should do it if labor is free.

If it needs a whole new frame, add another 5k.

A rock guard will cover the front dent. I think those are less than $500.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
A Big thanks for your words. I'll put up some more pics in a sec.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Here are a few more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	STA72830.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	122217   Click image for larger version

Name:	STA72833.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	122218  

Attached Images

Old 02-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Phrunes the Ambassador is a center bath rear twin beds model. It is nearly impossible to move the bathroom due to window and vent stack locations. It looks likea clean unit with the original stove and fridge. The stove top is clean and free of rust.
The electrical box looks to be original and I can't see clearly the plumbing coming through the wall that you speak off but the city water line does enter the trailer at that point.
Does the seller have the beds? Can you post somer more pics of the exterior which will help determine the condition of the shell and hint toward the axle/tire condition as well. The crease that can be seen in the front curbside lower end cap section is liveable and doesn't look that the shell has been punctured.
I would again look closely at the floor by pulling up the edges of the carpet. I'm always suspicious of new flooring/carpet unless a total renovation has been done. This type of quick fix is lipstick and mascara and can be used to hide the real condtion of the floor. One member here pulled up new laminate flooring only to find tin cans and scrap metal for a sub floor.

Yes, he has the beds
Old 02-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Oh, and this is another west coast coach...does that effect the rust situation much?