Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2002, 02:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

newbie doing restore

almost just purchased new 22ft as. now want 16ft to make my own little ccdiy. i have found a 57 that looks pretty good in pix.

will anyone point me or offer advice on what important things to look for? the intierior will all come out and be redone. but, i'm sure there are some things inside as well as outside (certain welds, trouble spots, etc.) to check before purchase.

i will tackle the running gear and exterior first. i guess polish, frame paint and axle/wheel/tire once-over.s

i will be pulling with 98 tacoma 4wd 6cyl extnd cab. i am thinking about putting airbags(?) in the rear and getting a hitch going.... (don't even know what i have to do electrical and brake-wise).

my first trip would be pulling back across state from it's current home.

help, i have the bug (bigtime) and am getting ahead of myself, someone, please, bridle me!!

thanks all!
hairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 03:08 PM   #2
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Welcome to the forums

What is a ccdiy? There is a wealth of information in these forums but for specific answers about tow vehicles, etc, we will need the year and model of your AS.
The link below has a lot of general info on buying, restoring, polishing, etc. You can also use the search engine at the top to browse this site for specific topics. Good luck.

http://www.airstream.net/faqs.html#restoring
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 03:38 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Rog0525,

I think he is trying to say an CCD-DIY or CCD Do It yourselfer model. I have had the same idea rolling around in my head since I saw a 1955 Airstream shell go for 500 bucks on ebay. I have the knowelge, and all the power tools a man could want. I just know I could make a 6 Million dollar CCD-DIY!

The best advice I can give is to take a close look at the floor, and where the floor and underbelly meet to look for rot. Replacing a floor is a big project that can also run into big $$$.

Also since you plan to tow with a smaller tow vehicle, I would look at how the original designers tried to minimize weight and keep the unit balanced for to aft.

Lighter weights means the tow equiptment upgrade that you are considering may not be necessary, and carring less weight means better everything. Mileage, stopping, climbing, Etc.

Just some food for thought.....

CCD-DIY, I like it!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 04:42 PM   #4
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
ok, now I'm curious

I did a quick search for CCD on the web and all the results relate to photography or astronomy. So are we talking heavenly Airstreams (aren't they all?)
More enlightenment please? This old dog is always looking to learn new tricks.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:53 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Search

Do a search for "Airstream AND CCD".

Better yet, just go to airstream.com and when the CCD comes by in the slide show at top riight of the screen, click on it. It'll tell you all you want to know and more.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 05:11 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Didn't have time to run thruogh it all (wife is hungry! ) but CCD means "Contemporary Christopher Dean" right? Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 05:46 PM   #7
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Thumbs up Thanks Pahaska

I'm a little slow on the draw about the new models since my '60 Overlander is the newest Airstream I've had
the pleasure to own. The CCD is a fine looking machine.
Now, assuming that Silver Bullet is right about CCD = Contemporary Christopher Dean, what could the AS as in the new International AS possibly stand for? Hmmm................let me think...........
Old 12-17-2002, 05:54 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
CCD stands for.. They are the designer’s initials

Christopher C. Dean(M)
Old 12-17-2002, 06:49 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Aaarrrrggghhh!!!!

Close but no cigar! Now for the big (and stupid to some) question, who in the "bloody pit of Hadeys" is Christopher Dean? A second cousin, twice removed from Wally perhaps? Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 09:41 PM   #10
Contributing Member

The architecht/designer

Christopher Deam is a west coast architecht that designed the CCD interior. This is an offshoot of a design concept he did earlier.

To splashy for me. Ineresting thing is that A/S is currently coming out with a 28 footer with the CCD interior.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-17-2002, 09:58 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Correct Spelling

I meant to add in the last post that yje man's last name is "Deam", not "Dean". He has web pages ... do a search on his name.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-21-2002, 05:39 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

sorry for the delay in explaining myself. i did mean do-it-yourself. i thought some very thin brushed stainless laminate would go nicely over some areas of the new bambi wood interior (not that the new interior is not nice unto itself). and an upgraded faucet, something a little easier to maintain than the light colored carpet of the bambi, etc. maybe that seems strange that someone would want to start mucking with a new rig (can i use that term - newbie), however, i like the ccd look/feel but not the price. i am fairly new here, but i notice a steep drop-off between the bambi and the rest of the line - riveted and wrap windows (...except the 22ft international as , i saw, with a wet lavy). sure would be nice to have me a 19 with front and rear wrap windows and and some bentwood cabinetry, etc. ...wonder what the 19ft international ccd will be priced at?? ...if they produce it. ...how about an as interior for a 19ft bambi.

(this just in.... i hear that thor may produce a 16ft "bambi" due to customer and dealer feedback since they dropped it in mid 2002 (L couch option appears to be high on the wish list, as well). also, i am going over to the 2003 16ft bambi thread to attempt posting the floor plan from the new brochure. thanks for the feedback everyone.
hairstream is offline   Reply With Quote