Old 04-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Welcome aboard Paul. Reading your purpose, I should have sold you our mint 95 VW poptop camper van that we sold last year to get the Airstream. I called it the Ultimate Travel Machine, and still believe its true. No camper is as easy to drive and set up.

But we have a 20' Airstream we can report on.

What you are seeing here about single axles is b.s. Ours tows perfectly, and the relatively light, smaller trailer is wonderful to get around with. It comes down to more room, more stuff, and how much stuff do you need on the road. And that is a lifestyle question.

The 20' places the bed at the front using four feet of length, and no extra aisle space. This allows for a large kitchen and bath, full dinette with leg room, and lots of cabinets. Additional storage is under the bed in supplied containers. A remarkably spacious design. We have been in ours on a 5 month trip now and it is great, but then we went last year with the VW camper and it was great as well.

dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #16
. , .
the 20 is a nifty layout and packs a LOT of features in to the silver baguette...

Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
...What you are seeing here about single axles is b.s...

HOW is suggesting that single axle trailers aren't easier to tow bs ?

and no one has suggested they are HARDER to tow, well almost no one...

Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
... Ours tows perfectly...
4 a guy with a perfect towing experience this seems to be a LOT of gyration on the topic...

and "unnerving" seems NOT to fit with perfection...

2 axles track better compared to MOST single axle streams...

they handle BUMPS better, have 2x as many BRAKES, and so on....

with the POTENTIAL for larger holding tanks and Cargo Carry Capacity...

they also have 2 batteries standard, so 2x as much juice banked.

even when LOADED perfectly and connected perfectly and with the perfect tv...

having 1 flat tire is a much different issue on bambi, than with 2 axles/4 tires on the ground.

and MANY folks report BACKING UP a 2 axle trailer is easier.

that is not to suggest folks who OWN a bambi don't love them

but a LOT of those folks love the NEXT larger TRAILER too...

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I have not towed travel trailers... YET!! But I have towed boats and horse trailers before. The longer the wheel base on the trailer, the easier it is to (especially) back up. I also just happen to prefer tandem wheels, but I wouldn't not get a trailer if it was an otherwise perfect-for-me trailer based on the tandem wheel...

It's going to be more about the layout and the livability for YOU that will make the decision. Tell the salespeeps to go have lunch, you hang out in the trailers and read a book, imagine yourself eating and cooking, etc. Bring the dogs with you and see how you feel with the door shut- imagine being in there for a day or three in a rainstorm.. etc. Mentally go through your daily routines-- which will be altered here and there of course, but get a feel of how it will be.

Good luck and happy trails!!

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Yes twice-as-much-air, I have posted looking for the safest possible hitch, not complaining about my own trailer. As for the road-rut question, I drove back over those ruts WITHOUT the trailer in December, and still felt the same unstable sensation. My experience is that the single-axle trailer tows perfectly, carries what we need, has 2 batteries, and you are repeating the same old b.s.

But I don't care to argue trailer size, we like ours and you like yours, and the o.p. asked for a report on small trailers.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Each length/floorplan has its advantages/disadvantages and compromises. However, having lived with several of them, my personal experience was that anything less than 23' was below "critical mass", and I was soon back at my Airstream dealer, helping him send his kids to nice colleges.
fmrcaptevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2010 27' FB International
Birmingham , Michigan
I am a newbie too. I looked at a number of different units over a period of a year. I even rented a few to see what size I wanted. I did the 19 (too confining)...I did the 23 (didn't like the layout) and finally ended up ordering a 27 foot front bedroom. There's just two of us, but we wanted the storage space...the amenities...the queen bed...the bigger kitchen.

We purchased a Ford Expedition which has proved to be great.

I did a ton of research and decided to go with the Propride hitch. This was pretty darn expensive...but I wanted the proven assurance of a hitch that would TOTALLY ELIMINATE the possibility of trailer sway...which is the single biggest cause of trailer accidents.

I'm learning as I go. The forum has been a great help...but you can scare yourself silly if you listen to EVERYBODY.

Good luck in your choice and happy camping.
Aquabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2008 23' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Hi pspaul,
I noticed that you decided on the 16 foot Sport. Great trailer! I've only had the chance to see one, and loved it. You definitely have to post pictures. We love pictures. Also, when you start on your MCM architecture blog, post the link. Two of my favourite topics are Airstreams and MCM architecture! Looking forward to reading about your travels.

Lisa and Paul

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod"
1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler" (

WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
TAC- SK 23223
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote

16' sport, new buyer, 19'