Old 05-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
Currently Looking...
Ramat Gan , none
newb questions on buying a used airstream

Hi everyone,
So good to have this forum! We are buying a 2005 25 ccd (our first trailer) for a 6 month adventure around the country with our 3 kids. We have a few newbie questions we and hope you can enlighten us.
When one buys a used airstream, is it generally recommended to have it serviced to make sure all systems are clean, full, tuned and ready to go? Also we know nothing about operating the trailer and thought we would rather have a professional walk us through it rather than relying on the owners to instruct us. Are we being overly cautious with this?
Also we decided on a 2007 Mercedes benz GL450 as a tow vehicle since we want to use it after the trip as our main family car as well as for towing. Will it do the trick? In addition to installing a tow package in the car what should we add to this duo?
Thanks a lot,

bendormaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I would certainly hear what the owners have to say. They will know all the little quirks your trailer may have, that a professional would not. If you feel better about having a professional walk you through too, it would also be good. You'll get double instruction, and that's never a bad idea! I'd get very familiar with how to do everything, before you take off on your trip. Reduces stress and makes it less likely you'll have problems on the road.
Welcome to the forums!

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
It depends on who you are and what you expect from the trailer, and where you're going, and what you think of the seller.

I myself, would ordinarily not go to the expense of dealer service, in a similar situation, but rather would rely on my own assessment. The systems in the trailer aren't that complicated. I'd go for a shakedown trip to a nearby campground, spend the night, and be sure everything works that way. Then any problems found can be addressed as necessary.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote