Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2017, 05:04 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Sarasota , Florida
Thanks so much for ALL your info. We are thinking about RVing for retirement, BUT we have never done it before. We both think we will love it, and we would like to travel and explore. We are a few years from retirement, so at this point I am researching, studying, and learning all I can. I have a small dog, so I don't want to travel without him. Anyway, thanks for all your advice!
Dwain
Dwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
Diamond Bar , California (winter) Montana (summer)
See how they are built...

I am in the road with my 2018 23D for the first time...camping in the driveway of son and daughter-in-law’s new house, 400 miles away, serving as construction and moving “supervisor.” Wife will join me in a few days.

May I make one more suggestion as you shop? It may cost you a few bucks, but I strongly suggest a trip to Jackson Center, Ohio, to visit the Airstream factory. Take the tour (M-Thur best days—they quit at noon on Fridays) and see up close how Airstreams are built. Talk to the workers and then your guides. My brother, with three engineering degrees and two Airstreams, learned so much in the first tour he flew back two weeks later to ask still more technical questions.

Yes, I have toured other RV assembly lines.

After seeing how Airstreams are built, I determined it was the only one to buy.

Your opinion may vary. Looking forward to many years of family fun with our new International.
DRBusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:37 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
Which RV you choose depends on the multitude of things everyone mentioned but an initial question came to my mind...have you ever camped in any other manner before? We jumped to RVing cause we too, love to travel with our pets and got tired of the hotel hassle involved. If you're experienced with camping, RVing is marvelous. If not, you'll be busy learning all that it brings. Prepping, packing, traveling, setups & take downs, campgrounds, handy work, learning to improvise, etc...and wonderful experiences you won't get any other way. It's one of the last ways there is to enjoy comfortable 'adventure'...all the best to you!
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:44 AM   #24
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
One of the best perks about RVING is you can take your furry family members with you. Mine love to go with me everywhere. Each has their own car seat, booster chair and their own window to look out of while rolling down the road. I have never seen such happier dogs as when we are on a trip. They watch everything and are better behaved than when we are at home. The only time they start to cry is when they need a potty break usually around the 3 hour mark.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:53 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Here's my take, for what it's worth...
Oliver might quite possibly be a better quality trailer that costs less. I think Oliver trailers are great, but...
I absolutely hate/loathe/despise the wet bath in the Oliver/Escape/Casita/Scamp/Burro.
I also don't like the white fiberglass furniture and cabinets.
Another concern less with Oliver and more with Casita/Escape?Scamp is the entry door is shorter than an Airstream entry door and you can only stand fully erect in the raised roof "trolley style" roof section right down the middle. I'm an average height guy at 5' 7" and this makes these trailers extremely claustrophobic to me.
A second concern less with the Oliver and more with the Casita/Scamp/Escape/Burro is just how small they are. No walk around room whatsoever. Walk in the door and turn around and walk right back out again.
Of all of the molded fiberglass shell trailer Oliver is definitely the king.
Another concern I believe may exist with all brands of molded fiberglass trailers is no dealer network. I know that Oliver must be picked up at the factory in Tennessee and Casita must be picked up at the factory in Rice, TX. I think with the Canadian built Escape arrangements have to be made for delivery to the border and then you pick up the trailer at the border.
So far no leaks in my 2013 Airstream purchased in October 2012.
If I could get over my 2 major concerns about the Oliver, I might own one, but those 2 major concerns are just that- major concerns... Things that possibly I might have a hard time dealing with day by day.
I do. however, acknowledge the quality of Oliver/Casita/Escape/Scamp and understand perfectly well why people buy them. I respect those manufacturers for being good at what they do.
I prefer Airstream even though in some aspects it might not be as good as an Oliver for a few reasons.
The iconic,classic, retro, art deco, aircraft fuselage styling-
The dealer network-
The size-
The full bath with separate toilet and shower-
Aluminum just looks nicer/has a better aesthetic in my eyes-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Go check them all out, we move every couple days, our airstream works good for us, I do like the Oliver ,it is built for rugged use , like up mountain trails...check them all out.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We spent decades looking at this and that before our first AS purchase. We also spent a lot of time out camping in various types of gear (mainly tents). There is no need to dive into this in a week or two. On the other hand, there also is no need to wait for years to take your first trip.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Boone , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Dwain, I would also strongly suggest that you go rent a couple. Yes, you can rent RV even Airstreams. Google RV rental and you will get tons of sites, options on all kinds of RV’s. Renting is not exactly cheap but it is much cheaper than buying any RV and using once or twice and finding out you hate the whole thing. If you rent you will know for sure then you can start your search for your perfect rig, you may find out you prefer a Motorhome and not a travel trailer. Airstreams2go, rents only Airstreams, not every model but you will at least find out if you want to buy one. There is a lot to learn and it can get rather expensive so go slow, learn everything you can, go out and look at everything you can, sit in them, drive them, etc. There is much more to Airstreaming than just the trailer, what do you plan to pull it with? How often are you planning to use it, are you going cross country or to the local state park?
Enjoy the process and welcome to the forum.
great advice
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:20 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
We started out with a 16’ CampLite from Liv’n Lite (a sister company to Airstream under the Thor holding company.) These are very high quality all-aluminum trailers that hold their value well if bought used. On a par with the Oliver. After that great experience we learned what we liked and didn’t and moved up to a Flying Cloud 25FBT. Something small like this is also a great way to learn how to back up
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I agree that buying a used trailer- any old brand- is a good first step. You will learn what you really want/need without taking a hit on trading in an expensive one.

The old saying is that the third trailer is the one you want. That's been true for us.
AMEN! Agree with every word. When you get interested in RVs you suddenly start noticing them everywhere. Simply taking a second look will show you that half of the ones sitting in people's back yards have been sitting for years slowly rotting away. The dream.... didn't match up to the expected experience... AND the owner found out that he qas going to lose 40% of the original cost after only six months use. HINT: list price for almost any new RV is 25% more than an experienced buyer will pay. 20% is more usual for Airstreams. Fiberglass "egg" campers that are sold only factory direct are sold at list - especially because there is normally a six month waiting list to get one. Don't overpay on a new one to reduce the hit if you need to sell it!

Casita eggs depreciate about $500 per year... that alone makes this kind of trailer an almost "free trial" first RV in a world where even renting a trailer can cost $2000 for a week! YIKES.

I was in a camp in Texas last winter where a couple pulled in with a new bigger Casita, parked it door to door with their older smaller Casita and started moving their stuff. They had listed the old one for sale as they left the factory after picking up the new one. My sister wants one, so I wandered over to peek... and they were already getting calls. There were a few lowballers and lowlifes but they got their asking price the next day, then went to the bank and paid off the new trailer with only about $700 out of pocket.

Olivers are probably about the same but they are a new brand that actually stopped manufacturing during the 2009 meltdown and aren"t that well known. There are many brands of egg trailers ro choose from; just try a Google search to find if one appeals to you.

Been where you are... Airstream is a great 2nd or 3rd trailer. I didn't go that way, and I want to stay in denial... so

Happy trails! Paula
Old 11-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
When my wife and I started to get "the itch", we started going to RV shows. Brought a flashlight and a digital camera and crawled over and under, around and through lots and lots of trailers.

Some were horrifying -- 1" X 2" inch studded walls with wafer thin exterior fiberglass. Romex wiring stapled into place (sometimes), particle board sub-floors...

Some were nicely built (Arctic Fox comes to mind) but, again, a lot of plastic or fiberglass on the exterior and, as I live in South Florida during the winter, the sun will beat that stuff up.

So, ended up buying a 1986 Airstream Sovereign (20 years old when we bought it). It was ugly but everything worked and the price was right. Figured if we hated the lifestyle we could pretty much sell it for what we paid for it.

Eleven years and some 78,000 miles later, we still have it. We have replaced two panels, the water heater, the toilet, floor, the AC and rebuilt the reefer. This year, new axles, wheels and tires.

All told we have spent about $25k (including the original purchase) over that last 11 years. By now, I know every rivet, wire and water line.

If my Powerball ticket comes in, I'm buying a 33' Classic. Otherwise, I am going to tow my old Sovereign until they bury me in it.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:32 PM   #32
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
When my wife and I started to get "the itch", we started going to RV shows. Brought a flashlight and a digital camera and crawled over and under, around and through lots and lots of trailers.

Some were horrifying -- 1" X 2" inch studded walls with wafer thin exterior fiberglass. Romex wiring stapled into place (sometimes), particle board sub-floors...

Some were nicely built (Arctic Fox comes to mind) but, again, a lot of plastic or fiberglass on the exterior and, as I live in South Florida during the winter, the sun will beat that stuff up.

So, ended up buying a 1986 Airstream Sovereign (20 years old when we bought it). It was ugly but everything worked and the price was right. Figured if we hated the lifestyle we could pretty much sell it for what we paid for it.

Eleven years and some 78,000 miles later, we still have it. We have replaced two panels, the water heater, the toilet, floor, the AC and rebuilt the reefer. This year, new axles, wheels and tires.

All told we have spent about $25k (including the original purchase) over that last 11 years. By now, I know every rivet, wire and water line.

If my Powerball ticket comes in, I'm buying a 33' Classic. Otherwise, I am going to tow my old Sovereign until they bury me in it.
Normally I'd say this with the Thanks button: Great post!!

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote