Old 12-20-2011, 06:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well cost is relative. You can buy a 30 yrs old Airstream that needs some work and it will last till you die of you can buy an SOB trailer and replace it every few years when it leaks and all the wood rots out of it. Airstreams have their problems and a lot of them have problems. However, when properly maintained they will last decades. They are well built and they look cool. I grew up in Florida and every RV, boat, Motorhome that we had all had leaks and rot problems. Airstream problems are in the floor and many that are more than a few years old will have floor rot problems. Sometimes these are minor and sometimes not. Expect to have to rebuild one or learn to inspect well. If you look at a 20-40 yrs old trailers and you don't find floor rot you have not looked hard enough. It will be there hiding under carpet or under newly installed laminate flooring. Anything other than a brand new Airstream will be a project.

Originally Posted by stujan View Post
Would like to know why folks decide on airstream vs others when there is such a cost difference

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
There's nothing that comes even close to the design and functionality of an Airstream. They tow exceptionally well, the interior space is used to its maximum effect and the exterior is, well, timeless; an American icon in fact. We wanted to buy only one travel trailer to see us into retirement and our Airstream, properly maintained, will do that. Yes, Airstreams are expensive, but over the length of time you can expect to own it, it represents pretty good value.

Whilst those properties are general, we were really sold on the specific interior fit, the Serenity, which moved away from the traditional wood paneling effect to a more contemporary feel. I know lots of Airstream folk love their "Classics" but for us this was one of the main selling points.

Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Airstream verses other brands

I don't know what I can add that hasn't already been said...except having an Airstream just sitting in your yard, revives the memories of camping when you were just a kid....And I know alot of the fellow Airstreamers, just goes out from time to time when they don't have time to travel or camp, and just sit inside to reflect on those memories, and memories to come.
ole-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1970 25' Caravanner
Arvada , Colorado
My reason are; their look and style, their value long term, their ease in towing, and the Airstream community.

Several years ago my sister and her husband bought a 34' other brand coach for 85k, took it across country once, the roof ripped off on another trip, and 3 years later they barely were unable to unload it for 25k.

My sister-in-law and her husband got 5th wheel other brand for 45k and about a year later and after her divorce she couldn't unload it for 10k.

We've had our Airstream for 3 years and have been approached many times by people asking if we want to sell it. Also, the airstream community makes it so fun and welcoming to attend rallies, etc., that we regularly use our trailer. Other brands don't seem to have that type of support base or appeal.

Good luck, hope you are able to find what you're searching for. Jenner

jenner 515 is offline   Reply With Quote