Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2016, 09:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
New Purchase Walk Through Advice

Excited to say we are picking up our new FC23D this week from the dealer. We have scheduled the walk through and training, and my daughter will be with me to film the process in case we forget.

Those of you that have gone through this, any recommendations?
What do you know now that you son you knew and did for your walk Through?
What do you wish you checked or what questions do you wish you would have asked?

Thanks for your help and advice!

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
Old 12-15-2016, 10:10 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
I know your excited...that said, my best advise to you is if this is your first Airstream (or RV) you need to find a friend or relative that has experience with this stuff to go with you.

Looking, I just walked a new 2017 26U on a local dealers lot today and could have made a full page list of stuff. Granted, nothing major but still stuff I saw because I have owned 3 Airstreams.

Stuff like...doors that don't close correctly, entry screen door screw loose (maybe stripped), countertop scratched in bedroom, covers missing on some screws, screws missing (or broke off) in cabinets, trim pieces not installed correctly, TV mounted too low in opening so to prevent reaching release, Pantry pullouts not closing correctly, wrong size handle for stabilizer jacks (wouldn't fit the crank ends and I tried it, no go).

This is just stuff I saw. Didn't check any water or electrical systems. I would have if I was buying it.

Don't forget to make them demo the black tank flush. These have been known to come not hooked up correctly. Same with outside shower.

Make them run the furnace not just the heat pumps. Make sure hot water heater works on electric and gas. Same for refrigerator. Sometimes the gas air mixture needs adjusting to light and run correctly.

Check all the lights, inside and out. Take a 120 volt plug checker (it's small has three LED lights) and check each inside and outside plug for power and proper ground. Run the radio and check speakers. Make them play a dvd and see it works on tv. Check all water systems. Make them disconnect city water and fill water tank. Turn on water pump and open faucets to get air out. Then leave pump switch on while you look and do your walk through. If there are any water leaks you will hear the pump momentarily ever so often. This can take time if the leak is small so do it at the first.

Make them bring you a ladder and look at roof on all 4 sides. Look for bad caulking joints especially around sky lights.

There is a lot of other stuff but I don't want to overwhelm you. I'm sure others here will add more too.

Remember, your not going to catch every little thing on the walk through...that is why you have your 2 year warranty.

Let us know how it goes...and Congratulations on your new shiny home on wheels!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The dealer should have done a full systems operational check in preparation for delivery. Can you trust them, I'm not sure.

I would spend my time looking over the aluminum shell in and out for damage. Then the doors and windows for operation (be sure they're latched when done). Then cabinetry, partitions and flooring for fit, damage and operation of doors and drawers and that they close and latch securely. Then the accessories (range, fridge, microwave etc) and lighting for installation and security. Propane tanks full. "Starter kit" of hoses etc for hooking up at the campground. Airstream does not provide a jack or wrench for changing tires, you may want to get them. For tandem axle Airstreams, companies make a ramp (Trailer Aid I think it's called) to run one wheel up on, thereby lifting the one next to it; very easy and I think much better than a jack.

I would think the plumbing ought to be winterized before you leave.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
This is the checklist I used when I picked up mine. It may give you some ideas.

http://www.ourflyingcloud.com/2016/0...checklist.html
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Wow, great advice and input. Unfortunately this is my first and now the pickup is this afternoon. I don't know many if any experienced RVers.

I am pretty thorough and your inputs thus far have been great. I will give it a try and take my time. I did call the dealer and they told me I could crawl through the unit for hours if I like.

When I had asked them to pick it up Saturday, they wanted me to come in on a day when service was still working, so they could address anything I found. Service doesn't work on Saturday. I felt this was a good sign.

Keep the info and suggestions coming, I'm like a dry sponge soaking up water! And thanks for the input thus far

Rich

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
Old 12-16-2016, 08:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Ask them to test the batteries with a hydrometer. I have seen multiple posts on here about batteries being fully discharged while the trailer sat on the dealer lot or at the factory. If they have it plugged in to shore power the voltage reading doesn't mean anything.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If they offered you hours, plan on taking them. Take your time. No rush. If it is not perfect, be prepared to walk away. Don't be pressured into buying something that you are not 100% comfortable with. This is one of the biggest mistakes AS buyers make.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:25 AM   #8
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
Just plan on taking it home and having fun learning all the systems
You won't learn them all today,,,it takes time,,we spent 5 hrs at the dealer and still had to figure out somethings ourselves ,,,the newbies book is great,,,read it from cover to cover,,,have them show you how to do the awning ,,,that's the hardest thing to learn,,,and how to hitch and Un hitch
Spinonedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Wheatley , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Wow, great advice and input. ....I'm like a dry sponge soaking up water! And thanks for the input thus far
Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
I am piggybacking here. I purchased mine already but have yet to pick it up (in April)... so thank you everybody for your input
lovetokite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Take notes, photos, videos-
Ask the demonstrator to slow down or repeat himself if necessary to get notes, photos, video, understanding...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Make a video for yourself, and make sure that they you understand everything they are showing you before you sign off on their list for the walk thru.

If everything is good then go have fun, remember that you can not go back and tell them after the fact you did not understand what they show you if something goes wrong.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Scarborough , New York
Smile New AS Warranty Warning

Greetings All.
I warn all new purchasers of brand new AS trailers to be aware that AS USA will try to force you to consider your "purchase date" to be your "warranty in-service date". You can easily lose four months of warranty if you buy now and ultimately pick up your trailer in April...as I did last year.
Got into a legal discussion with the president of AS who did not immediately realize that I had a legal background in the automobile industry at the importer level..when he tried to defend AS as being compliant with auto industry legal standards relating to the difference between purchase and ultimate delivery. Guess what? My warranty now expires 24 months from my actual delivery date.

All be forewarned and know that AS is not all peaches and cream. That said, we absolutely love our Bambi and the super wonderful dealer staff and management of Colonial Airstream in New Jersey. A "shout-out to the service and parts guys....
Bob Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
My dealer really "tainted my pickup" by hitting me hard with a number of "upgrades" that I needed to make to so called "improve" what I'd just spent 50 grand on. I must have said "NO" over a dozen times during that time period.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi

I never ran into that problem...
It was always understood by Airstream that I purchased the trailer in October 2012 so my warranty expired in October 2014.
I kept a running "punch list" of warranty items until I got all issues repaired at the factory service center in Jackson Center, OH in September 2014.
No charge and no questions asked and a job well done to my 110% satisfaction.
They did, however, ask me multiple times if we full-timed in the trailer, to which my knee-jerk reaction was always, "What difference does that make? Who wants to know? Is that anybody's business? Your trailers aren't sturdy enough to live in?"
Apparently full-timing voids the warranty?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
New Purchase

1. Make a list of everything you find that needs to be addressed by either the dealer or the manufacturer.
2. Take pictures of each item.
3. Give a copy to the dealer and keep a copy.
4. Refuse to take delivery until everything is checked off.
5. Contact the lend to advise them of the delay in delivery. Tell them to expect the first payment 30 days after delivery. They won't like it. Tell them to contact the F&I guy at the dealer for an explanation.
6. Get names and numbers of everyone that the dealer has doing the walk through and QC check.
7. Get a proposed new delivery date.
8. When the dealer says it is ready, begin at number one again.

I like my dealer, I like the Airstream. The factory needs a wake-up call. Make everyone in the sales and preparation stream live up to the Airstream reputation!
QC TORPEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
We purchased our Airstream from the same dealer as Troutboy in the Denver area.

My wife and I walked through a number of trailers, and when issues were found... walked to the next. We did find a trailer that had no issues, although we did like a 2015 25 foot Flying Cloud with Solar for less money than our 2014 25 foot International... but the FC had real BIG ISSUES.

Shades and ceiling fans were common issues for noise or not working. Front leveling jacks varied in noise of operations. Checking for obvious misfitting walls and loose screws or rivet heads on the floor. Check the shower for cracks in the walls or floor...

The 2015 Flying Cloud must have been towed from Jackson Center, OH to Denver in the Winter. The corrosion of salt was obvious... where most buyers never look. The outside compartments for the Hot Water Tank and the Refrigerator were corroded inside. The exposed copper... corroded. Iron bolts... corroded. You could wipe your finger over a surface and taste the salt.

Our trailer was manufactured in the Summer and we bought it in August.

Those of you buying a WINTER towed Airstream... if it has any salt... do an extensive car wash to remove any possibility of corrosion issues. Especially the belly, fender wells, outside compartments, inside the propane cover and tanks, etc...

Later that year I took a ladder to look at the top... hail dents.

So... even experienced trailer owners miss a few things. We did get a good price for ours and have the routine tinkering that I take care of for Boondocking. After a couple years... the small stuff will all be taken care of.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:06 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
the woodlands , Texas
Let us know how it goes and who the dealer is. I pick up mine in 12 days. All this info was very helpful. Keep it coming. Anybody want to look through mine in Orlando or Kissimmee for punch list items? Thanks.
Leslieotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
. . . They did, however, ask me multiple times if we full-timed in the trailer, to which my knee-jerk reaction was always, "What difference does that make? Who wants to know? Is that anybody's business? Your trailers aren't sturdy enough to live in?"
Apparently full-timing voids the warranty?
Possibly, sort of. This is in our Airstream Owners Manual and I was curious if it was in your Classic. It is, on Page C - 10.

"NOTICE: Your trailer is not designed, nor intended, for permanent housing. Use of this product for long term or permanent occupancy may lead to premature deterioration of structure, interior finishes, fabrics, carpeting, and drapes. Damage or deterioration due to long-term occupancy may not be considered normal, and may under the terms of the warranty constitute misuse, abuse, or normal wear."

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi

The same applies to my brick house!
It needs maintenance and upkeep.
Occasionally we get new furniture...
After a little bit of conversation I would divulge to them that we do not live in it full time, but use it every week/weekend...
Everything wears out.
Nothing lasts forever- or maybe it does with maintenance, upkeep, and occasional refurbishing...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
When we picked up our new FC, in June of '15, we were so excited. We were not newbies to camping, having had a couple of SOBs for over twenty years. How different could a AS be? So we sort of paid attention to the stuff like fresh water inlet for fresh water tank, which was pretty obvious, and the dump valves which are pretty much like all other trailers. I thought we paid attention to the new Dometic controller for the heat pump heater and AC, but there was a lot of stuff and no way I remembered it all. Later in the day, (we had arranged to camp in it the first night to check out the systems) I had to call the dealer to ask how to work the AC, forgot about the little switch for the tv antenae, and some other stuff. But the good news is, even if you forget stuff, if you take the time to read the user manuals, you can figure it out. And a couple years down the road, it all becomes second nature.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote