Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #21

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Dealers that can not or will not build the inexpensive adapter to handle a Hensley or ProPride hitch system should be considered incompetent and not someone who you would trust with your Airstream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:10 PM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Good catch, UB...power stabilizers...not power leveling jacks. And...yea, the batteries were AGM LifeLines….still impressive they are improving all the time...along with the price hike! Lucky for us they just sold their last twin model!
Hi

A full up power leveling jack system is pretty high on my list of "dream options" on an AS. The gotcha is that the frame really isn't up to the task. My guess is that the weight impact of beefing everything up would be a bit crazy.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

A full up power leveling jack system is pretty high on my list of "dream options" on an AS. The gotcha is that the frame really isn't up to the task. My guess is that the weight impact of beefing everything up would be a bit crazy.

Bob
Could be right....I know they sell a powered leveling jack kit; I saw one with scissor jacks on a rig earlier this summer in Glacier across from us...they stuck out a bit past the side of the SOB when retracted; his wife said they took longer to set up then using a drill with manual jacks that came with his rig. Plus the cost... I agree with you on the frame of the AS...I once this year, tried to raise the tongue jack to hitch, and forgot to retract my rear jacks...couldn't figure out why the jack motor was struggling and could not get high enough to get on the ball! I noticed when I opened up the door to get coffee, the screen and door would not shut...trailer frame had cocked...I caught what was happening, lowered the tongue and retracted the rear stabilizer jacks, and everything went back to normal...wife was not happy! One more lesson learned the hard way...

While at Camper Clinic this past week looking at the 30Classic, as we were leaving, we noticed a guy pulling in with kayaks pulling a 27'FC...wife noticed all 4 of his stabilizers were down...she waved him down and asked if he knew...WOW--he and his wife jumped out and could not believe they had just driven from their campground by the lake all the way to Camper Clinic and did not notice....they were all bent to heck...another good lesson; thankfully, it was not me this time!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Finalizing purchase of fc 23 fb and want eaz lift based on advice from Andy and Can Am. Looks easy to set up so was going to bring one to the dealer and get the better shank from Andy and have them set it up. Also passing on the solar as my 1 1/2 year old dealer installed on my sport just stopped producing amps. A portable Renogy works dandy.

And thinking of buying PD 4655L, trimetric BMS and Full River DC 220-6 (Randy said they have dist center near me so no ship cost, $299 each) as well as Easy Start myself and ask for installation of all as part of deal. Make sense?
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #25
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Hitch - depends on the dealer - ask - if you go with a PPP hitch, get a lot bar so any service dept can move it. Consider doing the hitch install yourself. You will learn a lot and that is key to your RVing success.

Factory Solar - pass on it - if you want to charge the batteries by solar power, get a suitcase solar pack and then you can put it in the sun. Talked to fellow with a late model 25. Very unhappy with his solar. Poor quality components. Wasted money in his opinion. If you must have solar get an aftermarket system installed, but research completely before you do it. Only consider factory solar if you will never upgrade any electrical component on your coach or if you are willing to scrap out the components as you upgrade.

Good luck with your purchase. Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:36 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your input on this thread. Very informative and helpful!!!
johndag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:37 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Could be right....I know they sell a powered leveling jack kit; I saw one with scissor jacks on a rig earlier this summer in Glacier across from us...they stuck out a bit past the side of the SOB when retracted; his wife said they took longer to set up then using a drill with manual jacks that came with his rig. Plus the cost... I agree with you on the frame of the AS...I once this year, tried to raise the tongue jack to hitch, and forgot to retract my rear jacks...couldn't figure out why the jack motor was struggling and could not get high enough to get on the ball! I noticed when I opened up the door to get coffee, the screen and door would not shut...trailer frame had cocked...I caught what was happening, lowered the tongue and retracted the rear stabilizer jacks, and everything went back to normal...wife was not happy! One more lesson learned the hard way...

While at Camper Clinic this past week looking at the 30Classic, as we were leaving, we noticed a guy pulling in with kayaks pulling a 27'FC...wife noticed all 4 of his stabilizers were down...she waved him down and asked if he knew...WOW--he and his wife jumped out and could not believe they had just driven from their campground by the lake all the way to Camper Clinic and did not notice....they were all bent to heck...another good lesson; thankfully, it was not me this time!
Hi

I've seen a full power auto leveling jack system on some 5th wheels and a few SOB's. Push a button and it does it all for you.

We've done the "stabilizers down" getaway attempt on at least one occasion. I don't think anything was damaged as a result. (At least they still work ok).

I can indeed tell if either the stabilizers are a bit "tight" by the way the door closes. There also is a bit more "spring" in the floor by the bathroom if the rear ones aren't down as far as they could be.

All that said, I very much like the power stabilizers and power jack. Pulling in and out of campground in the pouring rain is still not a lot of fun, but they do make it less of a pain. At least for us, the power awning is a plus, simply because we can take it in quickly.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote