Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Jefferson Co , Ohio
Question new purchase price?

We are new to this forum, Hi all

The wife and I are considering in buying our first air stream classic, my question is , are we expected to pay msrp, or is the room for play. If so how much % should we expect from the dealer.if buying off their lot should we get options thrown in for free. confused in Ohio.
Thanks for the help..
stonymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. You should be able to get at least 10% off MSRP depending on the specific model and how fast they are moving. Also, time of year can be a factor. Dealers are hungrier in the winter.

We were able to buy a new 2005 Safari FB in 2006 for 22% under MSRP. This good percentage was based on the fact that we were buying an '05 when the '07s were about to come out. Shop all of the dealers within 500 miles. We experienced quotes on identical units that varied over $5,000.

You can shop all of the dealers' inventories via the Company website at Airstream, Inc. :: Travel in Style. Dealers that will not quote you a firm price on an in-stock unit over the phone should be avoided.

Best of luck in your search.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:16 PM   #3
Craftsman

At the right dealer you should be able to save at least 20% off of list.I don't think you'll get any options for free.. maybe if you were paying msrp. Negotiate the final price with all options factored in. Let me say that unless you're very handy or know someone who is and works cheap it's probably to your advantage to get any options that your interested in installed by Airstream or your dealer before taking delivery. You may save a few bucks by buying and installing yourself but after the research, purchase, time installing etc.but it may end up being more of a headache than it's worth and it won't be covered under warranty. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Colonial Airstream to anyone looking to purchase new. I give them an A+ on all aspects of my purchase.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
19% is the average price off list without trade. Some a get better, some worse, it all depends how you horse trade.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
stony---as most have said 19 -20 precent is a pretty smoken deal. The time of the year and the year model makes a big difference. Those in stock for long periods of time and new but model years old have the deepest discounts. I've found that dealers farthest away from home are also more likely to discount better. The further you live from them they know you won't be bugging them with little warranty items. --- pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
new purchase price

Along the same lines, has anyone compiled a dealership rating list on the forums anywhere? I am also looking for my first new A/S (a Safari 20-footer). I live in Seattle, and the nearest dealership in Tacoma is quoting me a price for a unit that is several thousand dollars more than a similar one in Utah. I wondered if anyone has provided input re: willingness to negotiate, quality of after-purchase service, etc. Is it worth it to spend more money at the nearest dealership if there are a bunch of little (or big) things that need to be fixed after the purchase, or should any dealership be willing and able to correct problems under warranty? I'd love to hear what others think. Thanks in advance.
fifel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
We ordered a 2007 27FB Safari last week and talked to about 6 dealers in Ohio and Michigan. We finally settled on Woodland in Grand Rapids, MI after they came within $2 of the lowest price we could find. I certainly didn't "shop" the prices from other dealers, I simply asked for their best price on the unit and list of options including delivery. I told them we would buy within a week and I didn't want any "admin fees" or surprises like that when we went to pick it up. We got about 21% off list price including delivery.

We are expecting an April delivery (our choice even though they could have had it for the end of February). The salesman Steve was great to deal with, no pressure and really knew his stuff. What really clinched it was their 40 years experience with Airstream. This gave me a much warmer feeling than the one Ohio dealer who was looking for his first AS sale!!

Good luck with your purchase.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
WJBoswell, did you buy one off the lot, or did you order it from the factory? Sounds like you got an amazing deal!
fifel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifel
Along the same lines, has anyone compiled a dealership rating list on the forums anywhere? I am also looking for my first new A/S (a Safari 20-footer). I live in Seattle, and the nearest dealership in Tacoma is quoting me a price for a unit that is several thousand dollars more than a similar one in Utah. I wondered if anyone has provided input re: willingness to negotiate, quality of after-purchase service, etc. Is it worth it to spend more money at the nearest dealership if there are a bunch of little (or big) things that need to be fixed after the purchase, or should any dealership be willing and able to correct problems under warranty? I'd love to hear what others think. Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure there is a dealer rating list per se, but if you do a search by dealer name, or ask a question about specific dealers, I'm sure you'll get quite a bit of input.

In my opinion, a dealer's ability and willingness to provide after sales service is worth at least 5% of MSRP and more in some instances. Plus, there is a pretty wide variation in the quality of service provided by Airstream dealers, ranging from very good to horrible.

Of course, if you are located near to the Airstream factory, you can always take your unit back there for service, which from my own experience and everything I've heard from others, is supurb.

John