Old 10-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Everything Akjam said... PLUS

something you said - that you wouldn't be comfortable in something bigger than a 25 footer. ERASE THAT from your brain. It's fear and it's useless, especially if you start yearning for a 27 or a 30 because your dogs are so big, and .......

First another user hear gave me a BFO (blinding flash of the obvious) - find a truck driving school that has an RV course for newbies. Towing the first time is nerve wracking but once I got over the nerves with my 22' and saw a new 25' I had lust in my eyes, and then the 27' FB and then....
Well I recently bought a used Avion (vintage kin unit) that's a "10 meter" or almost 35 footer - which I towed to Franks Trailer Works to get a "property brothers renovation" and get rid of the mid 80's French Provencal decor

Size matters - but the self imposed limitation goes away pretty darn fast, and oddly the bigger they are (Airstreams!) the slower they sell and the deeper the discount is for a used one.

I generally say get the used one for the first one,

HOWEVER, there is one consideration to the contrary - Financing rates are AMAZINGLY low for people with good credit - I literally got a 2% loan on a GMC truck, and while RV's are a point or two higher, if you've got 30% cash it's a no brainer to go ahead and get new. (AKA - how can you lose?)

Paula

Old 10-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have a 25 and love it for traveling. But If I were you I would look at the 27 and 28 also. They are just as easy to pull and drive as the 25 and actually are easier to back in place. And looking at them opens up the used market for you quite a bit. And the bigger trailers are a bit more pleasant in terms of the bathroom size and storage. It just seems that there are only a few 25's for sale and they are pretty popular. And yes, I like the idea of buying used. As far as not being "handy" there are some things you are just going to have to learn and deal with yourself, new or used. And I agree with the idea of not having to worry about the first dent. We have 2 older trailers and 4 different limbs have fallen on those trailers in the last 2 years. We just can not seem to get away from gravity. One was so bad I had the insurance pay part of it. The other three we just live with the big dents.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Having purchased quite a few RV's over the last 40 years, I've learned that if you buy "right" you can sell right. However, many owners of new coaches never learned that simple philosophy & consequently when trying to sell a 2 year old they ask way to much because they paid to much. Having said that, do your homework, research online & get multiple prices from different dealers regardless of where they're located & don't except less than a 18% discount on a 25 ft. If someone sayes it can't be done then they may have paid to much. PM me if desired.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:37 PM   #18
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Since we're now discussing size, we'll just toss out this little tidbit: the 27FB is actually 28'1" long. It's one inch longer than the 28RB, which comes in at 28'.

To be certain of the length of a particular trailer, read the specs rather than the model number. Don't let that model number fool you like we did. We're happy with our 27FB, make no mistake, but we chose it partly because we let ourselves be fooled into thinking it was a foot shorter than the 28. Haha, the joke was on us. Good thing we love our floor plan anyway!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Since we're now discussing size, we'll just toss out this little tidbit: the 27FB is actually 28'1" long. It's one inch longer than the 28RB, which comes in at 28'.

To be certain of the length of a particular trailer, read the specs rather than the model number. Don't let that model number fool you like we did. We're happy with our 27FB, make no mistake, but we chose it partly because we let ourselves be fooled into thinking it was a foot shorter than the 28. Haha, the joke was on us. Good thing we love our floor plan anyway!
Agreed, as the 25 ft is actually 25'11".
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:17 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Arlington , Texas
Thanks to all for your advice and buying hints. This forum is so helpful for someone just starting the Airstream life.
Dell
Old 10-08-2015, 11:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Family (2 adults, 2 boys ,1 dog) camped for years in a tiny popup. A 25 foot Airstream is huge by comparison.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Family (2 adults, 2 boys ,1 dog) camped for years in a tiny popup. A 25 foot Airstream is huge by comparison.
Great point. Comfortable size depends a lot on previous experience. We traveled the country for 35 years with VW Camper vans (and still believe it's a good concept) so when we got our 20' Airstream we were amazed at the space.

Trouble is we decided to spend a lot more time traveling, six months a year so got a 25' Airstream, smallest of the large Airstreams but with all the features. This thing is huge by our experience.

Talk to someone who has a big motorhome and they will tell you they could never get by with our little 25', not even close. They're cramped in a 30' Airstream, often stuffed to the gills with stuff.

This point is made regularly in this forum, and followed with a similar argument about tow vehicles.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Used or new?

Do as I say, not as I do...LOL

Having purchased several new RV's, I can attest to the huge expense, primarily depreciation. So, my suggestion would be to hang around forums like this, possibly visit dealers and listen to what they are saying, not purchasing anything for awhile, and after a few months you will be given an education.

Then, begin the purchase of a new model if you really want to, or used if you want to be sensible.

Size, while some of the 25 footers have the best bathroom facilities, i.e., the front beds, i believe, a 27FB has a large amount of room and is one of my favorites. The 25D is impossible to make the bed, so I would avoid this.

If new..a 26U is IMO very attractive.

Discounts...almost always about 18% on new, so figure what you want to pay for used based upon this as the "new" price....I would drop off an additional 20% for a one year old model and additionally 10% off for each year after this for the next couple years. Then they seem to hold value.

More opinion.....problems can occur with new or used and while I believe a used one may have been through its "teething" period, not always.

AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote