Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2019, 11:10 AM   #1

Gilroy , California
New Member with Questions about Purchasing an AS

Hi all, I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a travel trailer for years. But I haven't made the leap for one reason or the other. Now, I believe I'm ready to pull the trigger

I have never made as large of a purchase as this will be, so I don't have much knowledge about how I should go about this. Purchasing brand new off the lot, I know has it's benefits, but the price tag... I also realize that purchasing used has it's own set of problems, but I am pretty handy and know how to figure out how to fix things with in reason and when to break down and locate someone who has more knowledge and experience. And yes I have been to the dealership recently and looked through all of the models that I could on the lot, 20-25 feet looks to work best for me while the 25ft feels the most comfortable, I'm planning on parking this trailer and full-timing.

That all being said, I saw on the Classified side of the forums a 2013 Airstream International 25ft going for $48,950 located in California. I live in California so that's helpful, but beside the point, if I locate something that will work for me I have no problem going out to get it, if the price is right. What should I be concerned with? Water damage, tires (how old), breaks, when the the batteries were updated, records/manuals of upgrades? Judging by the pictures it's in great shape for it's age.

What I'm trying to do is gather all of the information I need so I make an educated decision and be hasty. So any and all information would be helpful, also if this has already been covered (of which I'm sure it has but my search skills aren't the best) can you all point me in the correct direction? Thanks for all of the help!
Randir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Full timing

Get at least a 25' if your going to full time. When you are going to live in it bigger is better. If your going to full time and pull it around keep it 30' or less so there is less chance of not fitting somewhere. Some parks have restrictions on length. The 25' Airstream in either Flying Cloud or International series feels most spacious when it has the twin bed floorplan. Have fun shopping!
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randir View Post
Hi all, I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a travel trailer for years. But I haven't made the leap for one reason or the other. Now, I believe I'm ready to pull the trigger

I have never made as large of a purchase as this will be, so I don't have much knowledge about how I should go about this. Purchasing brand new off the lot, I know has it's benefits, but the price tag... I also realize that purchasing used has it's own set of problems, but I am pretty handy and know how to figure out how to fix things with in reason and when to break down and locate someone who has more knowledge and experience. And yes I have been to the dealership recently and looked through all of the models that I could on the lot, 20-25 feet looks to work best for me while the 25ft feels the most comfortable, I'm planning on parking this trailer and full-timing.

That all being said, I saw on the Classified side of the forums a 2013 Airstream International 25ft going for $48,950 located in California. I live in California so that's helpful, but beside the point, if I locate something that will work for me I have no problem going out to get it, if the price is right. What should I be concerned with? Water damage, tires (how old), breaks, when the the batteries were updated, records/manuals of upgrades? Judging by the pictures it's in great shape for it's age.

What I'm trying to do is gather all of the information I need so I make an educated decision and be hasty. So any and all information would be helpful, also if this has already been covered (of which I'm sure it has but my search skills aren't the best) can you all point me in the correct direction? Thanks for all of the help!
Welcome to the Forum! Not clear on your goal; you said you plan to "full time" and also said you plan to "park it"; does that mean you will be using it on the road or just relocating it as a trailer/residence, not moving it around? If you plan to tow it around while living in it, minimum size would be 25'. if you just plan to park it, get bigger. Big differences in some of the older models if your planning to go on the road with it; you mentioned several things: (Water damage, tires (how old), breaks, when the the batteries were updated, records/manuals of upgrades?) All those things are very important to understand/check and more...LED lighting for instance...newer models have many upgrades that save your battery life, if your on the road. If your going on the road with it, brakes, tires, batteries are very important..AS's owners "usually" are pretty good about taking care of their units; assuming this is a "one" owner model, you should ask questions on the items you mentioned...also if there has been any damage to the skins or maintenance work done by dealers. Walk around the unit, ask the owner to demonstrate the AC, heatpump, furnace, water tank, how to empty black and gray water, (check the sewer drain pipe and remove the cover to see if the black/gray valves are tight or if there is sewage in the pipe..thats a sign of the valve leaking) If leaking, that can be costly to repair. Then go thru the gauge display to see tank readings; look at the batteries and check voltage unplugged...wall meter works, but if you have a direct volt meter better yet. Look under the unit to make sure their aren't any damage to the belly pan covering your ducting and water pipes.

Many times, a well cared for unit has no issues, unlike buying new and fixing stuff that should not be broken. There are lots of contributors here on the Forum to help you figure out stuff. If your happy with the answers from the owner, the price, and it looks/checks out, go for it!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Take a look at this link. Ohter good things on youtube to educate yourself.
Good luck,

https://youtu.be/06Euf0ICHOQ
Old 01-31-2019, 07:32 AM   #5

Gilroy , California
Ah, yes sorry, I'll have the unit parked. For now the only time I'll be moving the unit it will be when I have a job change....Of which that will remove me from the San Jose area soon.

Thank you for the information, some of the information given I wouldn't have thought of until after the fact. I'll have to do more research before I go forward with anything. Now I've got a better starting point and what I should be asking, which is more than what I had to start! ^.^
Randir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
If you decide to buy used from a private party, you might want to utilize the inspector feature on the Forums. You can contact someone who is an AS owner and will come inspect the trailer with you and give you help on what to look for and whether the trailer is in good condition or has issues you will have to address. We have done this several times for others who are out of state and need an inspection in MN. Given the weather this week, we might even fly out to California for you! Well, maybe not, expenses you know.
But, really, look for inspectors to help you.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote