Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #1

2013 23' International
Boyes Hot Springs , California
New member in search of a vintage airstream

Hello everyone!

I just registered today and am excited to have found this website. Thank you for all the great info available here.

I am looking to buy a 20 - 27 foot long vintage airstream (1950-1970s) that has been either fully or partially renovated.

I want to use this as my part time home in California (bay area).

Here are a few questions I have:

1) Just how rare are these types of trailers? Does it take years usually to locate on that is in decent condition for the right price?

2) How do I find an expert to help me in the inspection process?

3) Is it worth the additional cost to just hire an Airstream Renovation person and avoid the work myself?

4) Are there books written on this subject of Vintage Airstream purchasing and ownership?

Thanks for your feedback.

Misty
Anesthgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
What is a good price? What budget are you working with? They are out there, it will come down to what your willing to except and willing to spend. Have someone restore one for you is very costly. Finding one already done and used buy the pervious owner and looking to pass it on and start a new project would be cheaper.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New member in search of a vintage airstream

Greetings Misty!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Airstreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post
Hello everyone!

I just registered today and am excited to have found this website. Thank you for all the great info available here.

I am looking to buy a 20 - 27 foot long vintage airstream (1950-1970s) that has been either fully or partially renovated.

I want to use this as my part time home in California (bay area).

Here are a few questions I have:

1) Just how rare are these types of trailers? Does it take years usually to locate on that is in decent condition for the right price?
There isn't one answer to this particular question. You are located in one of the "active" Airstream markets where you are likely to see a wider variety of coaches for sale. The determining factors will be based upon your expectations and available budget. You are likely to find the 1970s models to be the most plentiful followed by the 1960s and then the 1950s.

With the model years that you are considering, you will find that there are a number of comparatively unique "eras" within your range. Some of the 1950s models may not have any waste holding tanks while those Airstreams produced in 1974 and later will have both blackwater and graywater tanks as well as the fresh water tank. Coaches built in 1964 and earlier will have jalousie windows beside the entry door with the entry door being the door-within-a-door type of entry. By the early 1970s, the Airstream interiors were typified by plastic laminates while prior to 1969, the interiors were varying species of quality plywood veneers. As you explore, you may find that you want to focus upon one era and size/floorplan which could influence the length of your search process.

Quote:
2) How do I find an expert to help me in the inspection process?
There are a number of routes that you can follow. One of the easiest may be to check the list of volunteer inspectors here on the Forums (see the Forums homepage right-hand column for the link). It is also possible to hire an RV Technician to provide an inspection, but it can be difficult to find one with specific experience and knowledge of Airstreams outside of an Airstream dealership or authorized repair center.

Quote:
3) Is it worth the additional cost to just hire an Airstream Renovation person and avoid the work myself?
This is a question that only you can answer. If you are adventurous, and have confidence in your ability to master tools, you can likely tackle many rennovations projects yourself. As something of a klutz with tools, I chose to hire profssionals to do most of the rennovations on my coaches . . . even using professionals, I still have spent less on my Overlander than I would have paid for a brand new Airstream of similar size.

Quote:
4) Are there books written on this subject of Vintage Airstream purchasing and ownership?
There are a number of books on Vintage Airstreams, not necessarily on purchasing and ownership, but several that will supply pointers on ownership and use. Try searching the Forums (the custom Google search usually returns the best results) "Airstream Reading", and you will find several threads discussing a variety of books on the topic of Airstreams and Airstreaming.

Good luck with your investigation and search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #4

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Warren , Michigan
Jackson Center has a nice referb'd 24' 66 Tradewind for sale.

Sean
Aluminatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:25 AM   #5

2013 23' International
Boyes Hot Springs , California
Sean,

Where can I see pics? Where is it located?
Anesthgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Chambersburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Misty!

With the model years that you are considering, you will find that there are a number of comparatively unique "eras" within your range. Some of the 1950s models may not have any waste holding tanks while those Airstreams produced in 1974 and later will have both blackwater and graywater tanks as well as the fresh water tank. Coaches built in 1964 and earlier will have jalousie windows beside the entry door with the entry door being the door-within-a-door type of entry. By the early 1970s, the Airstream interiors were typified by plastic laminates while prior to 1969, the interiors were varying species of quality plywood veneers. As you explore, you may find that you want to focus upon one era and size/floorplan which could influence the length of your search process.
This is a silly question, but what is the difference between blackwater and graywater holding tanks?
cptkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Black water is the toilet and grey tank is sinks and shower.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote