Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
New build customization?

So I'm probably going to get a new AS trailer this year & wondered about customization at the factory. I've read they charge $500 upcharge for each change & I've seen reference to them charging $3k extra for the twin option on an International - although I've seen other reference to this being no charge.

So, my perfect AS would be:

25 Rear bedroom twin layout
with flooring, cabinets & counters using the new 22 sport colors
overheads from the signature series (or FC in same 22 sport color)
with oyster ultraleather from the signature series

& an awning pack!

So, I'll probably end up with a FC 25RB Twin. But just for fun - anyone with experience asking for customization on new builds? Something like different flooring or cabinet colors that they already use on a different model?

Oh, & I still want a descent discount - will that go out the window with what I would call pretty minor customization?

Too bad they don't still do the Sea Breeze decor.
da7id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Not a chance in the world. Airstream, does not do that type of customization. The $500.00 fee you mention is normally for removing something - for instance you order a model that comes with a skylight and you don't want it they charge that for removing the skylight from the design. Check this. They may be able to help but forget the discount. http://www.ultimateairstreams.com/home.html
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
They basically like to build according to standard trim levels, and that's how their production line is set up. From what I've seen here, changes are very limited and may disrupt the usual build and result in some disappointments.

The Airstream service Center is right next door, and they will do anything you want and can afford. You'll have to return the Airstream to them, and if you have worked out a plan with them, will rip out the old and put in the new while you wait. They've got everything at hand, or you can bring it.

We had the entire front living area of ours completely reconfigured. I made a design using mostly stock components, took out the old at home; they built and installed the new in two days, $4,000. We couldn't be happier with our Airstream.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #4
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
I have an International Signature 25A (Twin Bed) on order. I was informed that JC is now offering the twin option on the International series. I pick it up in Mid-April. The magical words are "No Charge"!
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:20 PM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
To the OP

The one change I would ask for is the subfloor to be made out of Coosa board; lighter than plywood or OSB board, mold, mildew, and fungus proof, as it has no organic material. It will not rot and is structurally as strong, if not stronger, (depending on which density used) than plywood. It also can be cut, shaped and machined just like plywood. You probably would have to supply the Coosa board to the factory but it would be worth it in peace of mind.

http://coosacomposites.com

If you want your trailer to last and never have to do a shell off, Coosa the subfloor and Krown rustproof the frame underneath.

Start with good bones and it will last your lifetime and someone else's.

Just MHO
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:05 PM   #6
Trying to run away.....

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
To the OP

The one change I would ask for is the subfloor to be made out of Coosa board; lighter than plywood or OSB board, mold, mildew, and fungus proof, as it has no organic material. It will not rot and is structurally as strong, if not stronger, (depending on which density used) than plywood. It also can be cut, shaped and machined just like plywood. You probably would have to supply the Coosa board to the factory but it would be worth it in peace of mind.

http://coosacomposites.com

If you want your trailer to last and never have to do a shell off, Coosa the subfloor and Krown rustproof the frame underneath.

Start with good bones and it will last your lifetime and someone else's.

Just MHO
Tony
Are they really willing/able to swap out materials on request? I'd love to get it done, but doubt they will go that far.
HeavyAssault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:47 AM   #7
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Who the heck is paying huge dollars for a trailer!!! You or them??

Tell them that you will provide the factory with the Coosa board. That it is no different machining than plywood (the boys will love how much less it weighs).

You want this trailer to last.....period.

Cheers
Tony

PS If they try to upcharge you, tell them exactly where they can submit the bill.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 02-18-2016, 05:22 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I'm pretty sure that a change to the structure of the trailer (base floor material) won't be able to be accommodated. Unfamiliarity with the product, and having to stand behind something they don't use in the construction of the trailer would be the biggest reasons why not. You can always ask, it doesn't hurt to try. Just don't be surprised if the answer is a firm "No".
Old 02-18-2016, 06:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
When you bring them the Coosa board be sure to bring them all the MSDS info,environmental procedures, safety protocol, new bits for their machinery, warranty info, and the timing schedule for worker training.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We had a $500 up charge on the 2014 Classic to install the same "stock" flooring as for the International Serenity versus the fake wood look and have a bare aluminum back splash for the bathroom sink instead of the wall fuzz (memory just blanked - wall covering in the Classics may be called Zonolite in the 2014 and older Classics).

If a change order is factory approved, it would behoove you to be there during the build to ensure the change order is incorporated into the shop floor work order. Our dealer/salesman, despite many factory connections in his little black book, failed to follow through to be sure the change order was implemented.

I caught the wrong flooring with the shower and bathroom already installed. Everything had to come out to start over on the flooring. An employee attitude problem developed which led to issues with the replacement linoleum flooring and we had to replace it with Marmoleum in a few months.

Note that all of our other extremely extensive modifications to both trailers have been done by a third party - A&P Vintage Trailer Works in Paradise, TX. They can build custom interiors, install solar systems and make any mechanical modifications one might want.

http://apvintagetrailerworks.com

From my experiences, I would not trust a dealer to change a screw in light bulb and I would want to be there to oversee that it was done correctly.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:08 PM   #11
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
You are not replacing the standard subfloor with an inferior product, but a superior one. If Airstream doesn't want to honour any warranty to the subfloor for rotting issues and water damage, that's just fine as Coosa doesn't rot!

I was clear when I said that machining Coosa uses the very same woodworking machines, such as routers, CNC, hole saws etc etc that Airstream would need to machine the existing subfloor.

Health and Safety. Coosa dust is different than plywood or OSB dust. It has a larger particle and is less prone to remaining airborne. I'm sure that workers wearing the very same mask working with plywood or OSB would work for Coosa as well. I'm not 100% sure but the expoxy glue binding the wood layers in the marine plywood or OSB used in subfloors is just as toxic as Coosa.

There is no reasonable reason to say no to Coosa.

Cheers
Tony

Old 02-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Maybe you could bring some heavier aluminum over to the Ford stamping plant!

No production line company exists that would allow a customer to sub in their own choice of material for exactly the reasons I listed previously. I wasn't joking.

How to you know the speeds and feed of this material matches up with the equipment used to cut the ply? You really expect the health and safety officer at Airstream Inc. to spend time making sure the material meets the plant standards?

They probably would with a 5 or possibly 6 digit up-charge.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #13
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
There are people and companies in this world that make the world a better place by saying YES!, we can do that; and there are people and companies in this world that make the world a darker place by saying NO! we can't.

It is unfortunate that companies have forgotten customer satisfaction and service and just find saying NO is easier, not right, but easier.

I'm a person that says YES! and to heck with all the self righteous nannies that say NO!

Cheers
Tony