Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Carnation , Washington
Negotiating Advice Needed on 2011 27' Flying Cloud

What say all the gurus out there on the pricing discount to push for on a 2011 Flying Cloud 27' FB that has been on the lot in Florida for 13 months? I have minor concerns that this unit has likly seen a fair amount of foot traffic and show duty but not a deterent to me. That is a fair amount of interest for a dealer to rack up and thier intial discount when contacted was 19%. I cant imagine this one lasting much longer so any input you have would be appriciated.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Ultimately you'll have to decide yourself how far to push it, informed by how badly you want this particular trailer.

When buying it pays to have alternatives available. I would suggest that you contact the major nationwide dealers in New Jersey and California if you have not done so already.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We bought one that had been on the lot for a long time and regretted it. Customer's are not kind to them, and corrosion had already begun because dealers don't apply preventive maintenance. Worse if it's near the coast of Florida.

Florida is a long way from Washington, that will cost you some money, getting it home and where's your service dealer?

There are some good improvements on the 2012 Airstreams over the 2011's, and you will suffer a year's depreciation before you own it.

If you're getting a new one, spend the relatively small difference and get one fresh from the factory. Even better yet, order the exact model, features and colors you want. You'll still get a good discount and you'll never regret it.

The opportunity is not with this "old stock" trailer in Florida, it is the chance to order new.

doug k
Old 02-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Carnation , Washington
The unit in question has been near the gulf coast so there is a concern to be headed there. We have relatives in Gerorgia that would be storing the trailer for us until pickup later this spring/summer as part of a larger vacation.

This is one of three units I am discussign with dealers right now so my options are definitly open. What I am trying to determine is the potential savings here vs. the risk of repairs on a older stock unit so keep the feedback coming.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
My unit was a factory order. I purchased it after a deal fell through on an 18 month old used trailer. I found my local dealer quite willing to negotiate on a factory order, though it was not ready until about a month after originally promised.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Carnation , Washington
It seems the average discount to be expected on a new unit is ~20%. What is considered pushing it for a new or old stock unit?
Old 02-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Much depends on the season and the dealer's perception of the saleability of the unit in question. My experience, this time of year, is that they will not discount the stock units as much as the factory orders. On the other hand, I have also found that dealers will discourage factory orders if they have more inventory than they want.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Carnation , Washington
So one of the negotiations I had underway on a 2012 fell through today as we found that there was a discrepancy in the listed - the unit had a twin bed rather than the expected queen.

This shifted the offer by the dealership to an "identical" inbound unit (with a queen bed) that was described as a 2012.5 with factory upgrades of a grill connection and pillow top mattress in addition to the known 2012 updates. It also came with a price increase. I am skeptical by nature so a couple of warning lights went off.

Anyone else catch word of new updates and/or a price increase from the factory?
Old 03-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberock View Post
Anyone else catch word of new updates and/or a price increase from the factory?

We are looking at buying a 2012 FC, I had a dealer tell me yesterday that he has had two 2% price increases this year along with a fuel surcharge for delivery. The dealer also tried to steer us toward a unit he had on the lot rather than order one.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
There was a post on here not too long ago by a dealer that talked about the new LP grill hookup and exterior LED light that was a mid-year change and he mentioned the increase in price.

I purchased a unit from stock back in October and was very happy with the pricing the dealer gave me. I had spoken to quite a few and every dealer was offering a different price. They're all in different situations. I drove 3.5 hours to get it but got 21% off of the sticker price.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberock View Post
What say all the gurus out there on the pricing discount to push for on a 2011 Flying Cloud 27' FB that has been on the lot in Florida for 13 months? I have minor concerns that this unit has likly seen a fair amount of foot traffic and show duty but not a deterent to me. That is a fair amount of interest for a dealer to rack up and thier intial discount when contacted was 19%. I cant imagine this one lasting much longer so any input you have would be appriciated.
That sounds exactly like our story with Lucy. Lucy is a 2005 25FB that had languished on the dealer's lot for 16 months. The FB was a brand new floor plan then, and was not selling well. We purchased Lucy new in June of 2006 and got 22% off of MSRP. Six years, 1,013 nights of camping, and 90,000 miles later, we are still very happy with our purchase.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:21 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Carnation , Washington
Castaway the price hikes are for real and not just a dealer ploy. We verified it through two dealers before settling on a new 2012 that was inbound. The mid year update included a minor lighting change, a quick connect at the propane tanks for an LP grill, and a new matress will a pillow top.

Dont loose hope though we still got our new 2012 Flying Cloud at a 19% discount which effectively became close to 21% when the dealer threw in 18 months of free storage and "Adventure Pack" which included a number of the basics you need to get going (sewer hose, Lynx Levelers, ect...)
Old 03-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
In another recent thread, someone posted that the factory is now selling 2013 models. Is this accurate?
Old 03-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We just picked up our new 2012 16' International Serenity from Colonial this week and while picking it up Patrick did say that ordering is closed for 2012 models. I believe that there are still 2012's being delivered to dealers. The other news is that Airstream seems to be leaning toward simplifying their model line up. It is thought that for 2013 the smaller trailers will be Sport models only, the mid size trailers will be Flying Cloud/Serenity and the largest models Classics or something along those lines. I learned this when I was told that there would be no more Internationals offered in the 16' size. After we purchased Colonials last International 16 Patrick said he tried to order one more and that the order was rejected.....
Bruce