Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New York , New York
Needed: Inspection in Tucson AZ, Suggestions, and your 2 cents..

Hi There,

I have been addicted to this site since my husband and I have made the decision to hit the road full time (never ever before having done so). We have fallen in love with airstreams and have done quite a bit of research on its alternative cousins.. Here are the several options/questions we have:

1) We have found a 1992 29' Excella for sale that has been fully remodeled, but we live in New York and need help finding someone to inspect this before we even begin negotiating. It is located in Tucson AZ. Seller says it's ready for boonkdocking and all, pictures and specs look great on paper.

2) We are also going to look at 2007 25' Safari this weekend that is not remodeled, needs solar and composting toilet - the trailer is said to be in good condition, but about 20k less than option 1. Does option 1 still seem like a great idea? Need your advice..

3) We are debating going ALL IN and hiring someone to locate a 25-29' AS, and customize it is for us - we want to go boondocking and spend time traveling regularly. What should something like this cost in your experience and did you find it worth it? We plan to be on the road for a minimum of 2 years till we find out plot of land to build on (if we decide to settle in one area - we may love full-timing too much to give it up).

3a) Has anyone financed a customized AS - if so, what were your options?

4) LAST RESORT OPTION - do we just settle for something that isn't an AS and always say we can trade up - has anyone gone this route? Was it worth doing this? Did you learn from it? Regret starting there?

Need and greatly appreciate all of your advice, suggestions, and plain 2 cents..

Thank you in advance!
DG822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
What is your timeframe? I live in Tucson but leaving for a week long conference today. If your not in a rush send me a PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

If you go to the Portal page [grey tab at top left]:

http://www.airforums.com/

. . . on the right edge of that page there is a system for locating an inspector in each state.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
If I were you I would take UncleBad up on his offer to look at the 29' Excella. I can't imagine how you could live in a 25ft for two years

You said the 2007 was $20,000 less but you will spend that amount to get a proper solar system and batteries unless is already has these.

Sure you can settle on another brand but don't expect much on re sale after you are done.

You need to spend some time at a rv dealer or show and get a feel for the size that will fit you first.

If you want a total remodel to fit your needs you will far exceed the price of the Excella.

Just my thoughts for you to ponder.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Fort Davis , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG822 View Post
Hi There,

I have been addicted to this site since my husband and I have made the decision to hit the road full time (never ever before having done so). We have fallen in love with airstreams and have done quite a bit of research on its alternative cousins.. Here are the several options/questions we have:

1) We have found a 1992 29' Excella for sale that has been fully remodeled, but we live in New York and need help finding someone to inspect this before we even begin negotiating. It is located in Tucson AZ. Seller says it's ready for boonkdocking and all, pictures and specs look great on paper.

2) We are also going to look at 2007 25' Safari this weekend that is not remodeled, needs solar and composting toilet - the trailer is said to be in good condition, but about 20k less than option 1. Does option 1 still seem like a great idea? Need your advice..

3) We are debating going ALL IN and hiring someone to locate a 25-29' AS, and customize it is for us - we want to go boondocking and spend time traveling regularly. What should something like this cost in your experience and did you find it worth it? We plan to be on the road for a minimum of 2 years till we find out plot of land to build on (if we decide to settle in one area - we may love full-timing too much to give it up).

4) LAST RESORT OPTION - do we just settle for something that isn't an AS and always say we can trade up - has anyone gone this route? Was it worth doing this? Did you learn from it? Regret starting there?

Need and greatly appreciate all of your advice, suggestions, and plain 2 cents..

Thank you in advance!
You might want to consider renting an AS in the size you're thinking about for a week or two before you commit to two years on the road. The last thing you want is to make a significant purchase only to find out it's too big or too small 1/4 of the way through your big trip...
rlphillips00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...-29-arizona-4/
this one?

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Universal City , Arkansas
Short answer to long question

We needed service on our Airstream while in Tucson and went to LazyDays RV, a certified RV dealer. Excellent service and really helpful people. I would recommend you have them check the AS. We've been boondocking in our Airstream Bambi with year and have had not problems, other than our own ignorance. We did buy a Champion Dual Fuel Source generator for power.
Best wishes and great camping.
Barnyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Too old..go new...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
fallbrook , California
Inspection inTucson

Oasis RV in Tucson is great and Could be a big help! Purchased a 99 Safari and liked it so much that I traded it for a 2000 Excella that we still have and use frequently
bruceganoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Airstream Availabilities

Welcome to the world of Airstreams! Not sure of your TV, but that impacts the trailer size that you may select? Your Tube channel “Big Trucks, Big RV” recommends considering a Super Duty if you will tow at least 6,000 lbs, or more. Many folks will recommend purchasing a three to five year old AS, since it will have all the kinks worked out! New AS prices - We attended the Tampa RV show and the new AS’s were being offered at about 12% below MSRP. Contacted Colonial RV in NJ and they offered to beat that price. Seems like it is a sellers market for new AS’s right now? You are receiving excellent advice. I would add another source of used AS - the AS RV parks, just look them up on the web and call the office. We are members of Top of Georgia and are purchasing a share at Land Yacht Harbor in Melbourne, FL. We just returned from a two week visit to LYH and were advised of four AS’s that were for sale. Two were sold, one for $8K and another for about $5K while we were there. These are 30’ or longer and folks in LYH like the additional space for extended visits to LYH. Advantage of these units - several folks in the park can attest to the condition and care of the trailer. IF any work is needed on the trailer, we were informed that can be obtained in the park. One older Excella was being polished while we were there. Enjoy the journey and continue to seek out advice from current Airstreamers on questions that you will come up with during this process.
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:49 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New York , New York
@OTRA15 Thank you for the tip! Very helpful!
Old 01-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
If I were you I would take UncleBad up on his offer to look at the 29' Excella. I can't imagine how you could live in a 25ft for two years

You said the 2007 was $20,000 less but you will spend that amount to get a proper solar system and batteries unless is already has these.

Sure you can settle on another brand but don't expect much on re sale after you are done.

You need to spend some time at a rv dealer or show and get a feel for the size that will fit you first.

If you want a total remodel to fit your needs you will far exceed the price of the Excella.

Just my thoughts for you to ponder.

Dave
Hi Dave!

Thanks for the advice. The Excella seems like a too good to be true opportunity but it would be our preferred option based on what we are looking to do.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:30 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
There is a person in Tucson that buys and flips AS. My caution is, that person may say it is a remodel, but what dies that mean. Are the floors inspected, frame inspected. Did theyvadd cabinets that added internal weight. What kind of insurance can you get for a ‘92. Age of the appliances. We personally have upgraded our AS 3 tiimes in 6 years. We wete fortunate that we had very good resale on our units. What is your tow vehicle? Have you gone to Colonial in NJ and actually see their expentive selection bthey have used and now is a good time purchase. Go sit in a variety of AS before you go new, used or vintage
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
Yes! Looks too good to be true We have been in contact with the seller but need someone to inspect it before we would go any further in making a decision or negotiations.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Individual definitions of what constitutes "Boondocking" vary greatly. That having been said, larger units are more comfortable, particularly for longer term stays or full-time. On the other hand they drastically limit the places you can boondock simply because you can't get them into a location/campsite. If you're really going to boondock, shorter has its advantages.

Seriously weigh how you're going to use your unit before you plunk down your bucks.

Just one person's opinion.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #16
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
We live in Tucson and have had experience with several of the dealership and repair facilities. Lazy Days looks nice but when they repair our trailer sheetmetal work they failed to hook up the indicator lights correctly, charged us an arm and a leg and gave the rig back dirty - our go to place is Oasis RV. Does not look like much but Gene the owner and Ritchard the mechanic are fabulous to deal with and we trust them with our "best toy". Would not go anywhere else. I'm certain they could arrange an inspection for you and cost out any recommended repairs.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cegardner View Post
There is a person in Tucson that buys and flips AS. My caution is, that person may say it is a remodel, but what dies that mean. Are the floors inspected, frame inspected. Did theyvadd cabinets that added internal weight. What kind of insurance can you get for a ‘92. Age of the appliances. We personally have upgraded our AS 3 tiimes in 6 years. We wete fortunate that we had very good resale on our units. What is your tow vehicle? Have you gone to Colonial in NJ and actually see their expentive selection bthey have used and now is a good time purchase. Go sit in a variety of AS before you go new, used or vintage
Thanks for the tips on what to consider for the inspection, and attaining insurance, etc. We have not yet had it inspected but are in the process of setting this up before going any further with making this decision/negotiation. We do not have a tow vehicle yet - we decided to get the cart, and then the horse. We are leaning towards a 150 with a max tow package - does anyone have any recommendations?

We were able to visit Colonial NJ and felt that the 25 ft was manageable but a 27-30 ft would best for full-timing. We didn't see too many used trailers available but are keeping our eyes peeled at their listings as well.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasterlife View Post
We live in Tucson and have had experience with several of the dealership and repair facilities. Lazy Days looks nice but when they repair our trailer sheetmetal work they failed to hook up the indicator lights correctly, charged us an arm and a leg and gave the rig back dirty - our go to place is Oasis RV. Does not look like much but Gene the owner and Ritchard the mechanic are fabulous to deal with and we trust them with our "best toy". Would not go anywhere else. I'm certain they could arrange an inspection for you and cost out any recommended repairs.
Oasis RV has some great service reviews - but unfortunately they are the ones who have the AS we need inspected. While I have some confidence (based solely on the service experience others have had there), we would have some peace of mind having someone non-affiliated take a look it for us to get an outside perspective. If it turns out to be a great trailer, we will book our flights accordingly to get an up close look ourselves before anything. Good to know about Lazydays though!
Old 01-19-2019, 07:32 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice Man View Post
Individual definitions of what constitutes "Boondocking" vary greatly. That having been said, larger units are more comfortable, particularly for longer term stays or full-time. On the other hand they drastically limit the places you can boondock simply because you can't get them into a location/campsite. If you're really going to boondock, shorter has its advantages.

Seriously weigh how you're going to use your unit before you plunk down your bucks.

Just one person's opinion.
That's definitely a decision we have been wrestling with! We really think the 27-30 is the right length we need to be in for full-timing, but would that severely limit us at state parks, and other off-grid locations? Our plans are to be boondocked 95% of the time, travelling US and Canada. Would love any suggestions/advice!
Old 01-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #20
Rick

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Oro Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG822 View Post
Hi There,

Thank you in advance!
Hello...I live in Tucson and would be willing to look at these units for you..
Send me all details and a contact phone.
wampler is offline   Reply With Quote