Old 01-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Individual definitions of what constitutes "Boondocking" vary greatly. That having been said, larger units are more comfortable, particularly for longer term stays or full-time. On the other hand they drastically limit the places you can boondock simply because you can't get them into a location/campsite. If you're really going to boondock, shorter has its advantages.

Seriously weigh how you're going to use your unit before you plunk down your bucks.

Just one person's opinion.

The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International
Chicago , Illinois
We live in Tucson and have had experience with several of the dealership and repair facilities. Lazy Days looks nice but when they repair our trailer sheetmetal work they failed to hook up the indicator lights correctly, charged us an arm and a leg and gave the rig back dirty - our go to place is Oasis RV. Does not look like much but Gene the owner and Ritchard the mechanic are fabulous to deal with and we trust them with our "best toy". Would not go anywhere else. I'm certain they could arrange an inspection for you and cost out any recommended repairs.

Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cegardner View Post
There is a person in Tucson that buys and flips AS. My caution is, that person may say it is a remodel, but what dies that mean. Are the floors inspected, frame inspected. Did theyvadd cabinets that added internal weight. What kind of insurance can you get for a ‘92. Age of the appliances. We personally have upgraded our AS 3 tiimes in 6 years. We wete fortunate that we had very good resale on our units. What is your tow vehicle? Have you gone to Colonial in NJ and actually see their expentive selection bthey have used and now is a good time purchase. Go sit in a variety of AS before you go new, used or vintage
Thanks for the tips on what to consider for the inspection, and attaining insurance, etc. We have not yet had it inspected but are in the process of setting this up before going any further with making this decision/negotiation. We do not have a tow vehicle yet - we decided to get the cart, and then the horse. We are leaning towards a 150 with a max tow package - does anyone have any recommendations?

We were able to visit Colonial NJ and felt that the 25 ft was manageable but a 27-30 ft would best for full-timing. We didn't see too many used trailers available but are keeping our eyes peeled at their listings as well.
DG822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasterlife View Post
We live in Tucson and have had experience with several of the dealership and repair facilities. Lazy Days looks nice but when they repair our trailer sheetmetal work they failed to hook up the indicator lights correctly, charged us an arm and a leg and gave the rig back dirty - our go to place is Oasis RV. Does not look like much but Gene the owner and Ritchard the mechanic are fabulous to deal with and we trust them with our "best toy". Would not go anywhere else. I'm certain they could arrange an inspection for you and cost out any recommended repairs.
Oasis RV has some great service reviews - but unfortunately they are the ones who have the AS we need inspected. While I have some confidence (based solely on the service experience others have had there), we would have some peace of mind having someone non-affiliated take a look it for us to get an outside perspective. If it turns out to be a great trailer, we will book our flights accordingly to get an up close look ourselves before anything. Good to know about Lazydays though!
Old 01-19-2019, 07:32 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice Man View Post
Individual definitions of what constitutes "Boondocking" vary greatly. That having been said, larger units are more comfortable, particularly for longer term stays or full-time. On the other hand they drastically limit the places you can boondock simply because you can't get them into a location/campsite. If you're really going to boondock, shorter has its advantages.

Seriously weigh how you're going to use your unit before you plunk down your bucks.

Just one person's opinion.
That's definitely a decision we have been wrestling with! We really think the 27-30 is the right length we need to be in for full-timing, but would that severely limit us at state parks, and other off-grid locations? Our plans are to be boondocked 95% of the time, travelling US and Canada. Would love any suggestions/advice!
Old 01-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #20

Currently Looking...
Oro Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG822 View Post
Hi There,

I have been addicted to this site since my husband and I have made the decision to hit the road full time (never ever before having done so). We have fallen in love with airstreams and have done quite a bit of research on its alternative cousins.. Here are the several options/questions we have:

1) We have found a 1992 29' Excella for sale that has been fully remodeled, but we live in New York and need help finding someone to inspect this before we even begin negotiating. It is located in Tucson AZ. Seller says it's ready for boonkdocking and all, pictures and specs look great on paper.

2) We are also going to look at 2007 25' Safari this weekend that is not remodeled, needs solar and composting toilet - the trailer is said to be in good condition, but about 20k less than option 1. Does option 1 still seem like a great idea? Need your advice..

3) We are debating going ALL IN and hiring someone to locate a 25-29' AS, and customize it is for us - we want to go boondocking and spend time traveling regularly. What should something like this cost in your experience and did you find it worth it? We plan to be on the road for a minimum of 2 years till we find out plot of land to build on (if we decide to settle in one area - we may love full-timing too much to give it up).

3a) Has anyone financed a customized AS - if so, what were your options?

4) LAST RESORT OPTION - do we just settle for something that isn't an AS and always say we can trade up - has anyone gone this route? Was it worth doing this? Did you learn from it? Regret starting there?

Need and greatly appreciate all of your advice, suggestions, and plain 2 cents..

Thank you in advance!
Hello...I live in Tucson and would be willing to look at these units for you..
Send me all details and a contact phone.
wampler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:05 AM   #21
marcia921

1993 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Inspection in Tucson

We believe that the best Airstream repair facility in Tucson is Oasis RV. Richard is your man. We are longtime Airstream owners and have camped all over the country for months at a time. My husband and I discovered Oasis and Richard 5 years ago when we needed help while passing through. We now live in Tucson.
Please contact me if you would like more information. Happy to help.
Marcia
marcia921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Your inquiry has been haunting me since yesterday. Here's a whole collection of opinions that are worth exactly what you're pay for them - Zero, nada, zip.

Just one persons views:

Everything said about LazyDays and Oasis I echo - most of it in spades.

I took my 27fb down to Oasis last Thursday and on the way out walked through your prospective 29. It's the second time I've been through it. It's beautiful, but in my view it's the antithesis of a boondocking rig. It looks like it belongs in some upscale AS park or on your lot up in some mountains somewhere. You could get it to lots of places in Quartzite or over on Snyder Hill, but I'd bet you can't for half of the good boondocking sites in the West simply based on size and the upscale remodel. My recollection is that it has a microwave but not an oven - not boondocking friendly. I also suspect there's added weight over factory original.

If Gene says it's a good unit you can bank it - they're good for their word and will fix anything that needs fixing, but only at their location.

This unit is on the down-wind leg into 30 years - count on one significant failure of some sort in some system at least once a year. Since you're talking full-time, likely more often unless the systems are new (and I don't know whether they are or are not).

In short it's not my idea of a boondocking rig, but as I said before - everybody's definition of boondocking varies.

One final thought: We'd welcome your flight from New York to Tucson, and the Airstreamers here would extend you every courtesy as evidenced by several of the replies above. We only ask that you come here, spend as much money as you can, and leave. It's starting to get crowded.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Just a few comments here that popped into my pea brain.

I think it is much safer to go with a stock Airstream in terms of layout, storage and just how things work like the shower and toilet. Looks low on storage. I question how well the shower design works. What is a Domestic fridge? Why do you need a black water tank with a composting toilet? Sounds like somebody designed their own dream Airstream and had Hoffman build it. They have used it briefly and are now selling it. Why? Did it not work out as well as they visualized it? If you buy this one and it doesn’t work out well for you, this will be a hard Airstream to sell.

My advice on buying an Airstream is to look at lots of them and learn. It is kind of like finding a mate. I like the suggestion of looking in an Airstream park. You might even find and Airstream and TV combo due to the owners aging out. Not a bad time for a quick trip to Florida to look at Airstreams and talk to Airstreamers.

I would look for a gently used 25’- 27’ unit. Study up on solar, batteries and boondocking and get out and camp and boondock. I would get a 2,000 watt generator and start with a 200 watt portable solar setup. After camping with this setup you can decide if you want permanent solar and how much.

We boondock almost exclusively and have designed our Airstream for this. It works fine for us but wouldn’t work for everyone. PM me if you would like to talk about it.

Good luck in your education and search.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Oro Valley, Arizona
You’re getting a lot of good, if fragmented advice, it is up to you to synthesize all this prior to making a move. I am certainly no expert but I do have some experience, we do live in Tucson, which is what triggered my read of your whole post in the first place .
We began RVing five years ago with the lance travel trailer. It was a good little unit it served us well.
In 2017 I got the bug to have an airstream and did an extensive search both locally and online, Airstream forums classified, finally settling on a unit that was located in Ontario Canada. 2015, international Signature 27ft, Front Queen. 30 amp, like new condition with weight distribution hitch, 16 inch wheels with Michelin tires, rear camera and a number of nice additional decorative appointments.

After purchases I hired Marvin Braun, Precision RV, to do a full-Monty solar install, http://precisionrv.com. 600 watt panels on top, 600 amp hour lithium ion batteries, battery management system, EMS surge protector, 3,000 watt hybrid invertor/charger, weboost cellphone amp/booster and WiFi amp booster. Marvin, in Casa Grande AZ, is among the best in the business a true craftsman in his install as well as a RV solar expert.
In addition I had the rig towed to me from Canada by putting it to bid on uship.com. This too was a fortunate decision as Uship was first class and less expensive than going to pick it up. I also hired an RV tech inspector near the prior owners location which gave me added confidence in buying a rig sight unseen.
So far in the 15 months of ownership we’ve spent 140 nights in her, towed her over 6,000 miles and had only a couple of minor maintenance issues.
The sticker on the 2015 from the factory was nearly $91,180, This didn’t include the wheel/tire upgrade, camera system or hitch and extras.
As previously mentioned the “bugs”, had been detected, corrected, while under warrantee. The prior owner, a German Engeer and his fastidious wife, (I use both terms as complements and he joked with me about it), had treated and cared for the unit with unmatched love and devotion)
With all these additions we can live, off grid Boondocking, in similar manner as we live at home or in a full hookup park.
My total expenditures are still considerably less that the original Airstream Sticker.
In summary, good value is out there, it’s up to you to perform your due diligence both in product knowledge, understanding and comparable other units currently on the market. This can be an exciting, fun “hunt for the prize” or a first class pain-in-the-ass. If it’s the former you’re more than likely going to enjoy Airstreaming, if it’s the latter, forgetaboutit.,LOL RVing is not an enexpensive way to live, it’s a lifestyle choice, one that can be most rewarding and challenging, all at the same time. If you’d like a more thorough discussion and visit on all this PM me and we can talk on the phone. All the best in your quest.
ride2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
DG822 -> I'm currently having some self-inflicted repairs done to my AS at Oasis in Tucson. I have been through the 1992 29-footer you mention. I'll PM you my cell number.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:41 PM   #26

Currently Looking...
crete , Illinois
We have not used Joe at Oasis RV in Tucson but know they specialize in Airstreams and have been there for many years. They quote $350.00 to do a complete inspection. Unit must be at their location for the inspection.

Joe Pershing

Oasis RV Center Inc.

2111 E Benson Hwy

Tucson, AZ 85714

Phone (520) 889-6361

Fax 520)889-2478

http://www.oasisrv.com

Jackie1953 is offline   Reply With Quote