Old 02-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Unsolicited therapy time

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse View Post
It just seems to me that AS should be made to last and last. I know the old trailers are still around after all these years. My question really is:
Will the new trailers be around as long as the old ones? Do they still make them out of the same material? If we really keep a close watch on our new (or relatively new) AS, will it still be here in 30 years?
Would love to hear more replies Thanks!
It seems you are looking for reasons to not buy one, except, then I read another post and think you are looking for reasons to buy one.

Since you've already been told they are made of different things at different times, there's no answer to that question without looking in detail into every model built. No one can tell you whether anything will be around in 30 years until 2041. These questions are so general in scope they can't be answered without a treatise.

Do you go through this every time you buy a car or any big ticket item? I wonder too about such things and I do ask questions and do research, but there's nothing definite in life and eventually you have to make a decision, hope for the best and sometimes, hopefully not often, you will do a really dumb thing. Everyone makes mistakes and regrets get you nowhere. Regrets before you buy anything are especially toxic.

Ask yourself which model you wantócheck out floor plans, amenities, water storage, everything that's important to you. Decide how much you can spend. Answering those questions will vastly limit the models available. Then ask about problems with those specific models and years and you may get better answers.

I hope I am not too harsh. It seems like you are stuck on how to go forward and going around in circles.

Gene

Old 02-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Airstream Longevity

Funhouse- I agree with all the comments from other posters. On longevity, I believe that some of the older AS trailers are built better than the present ones, but I also believe that any new AS trailer made today will be around in 40 years if it is well cared for.

Dan

Old 02-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #17
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
Very happy to hear all the above responses! FYI, we are keeping our 40' park model. It has a very nostalgic past with all of our sweat equity and looks brand new inside. We wanted to get a trailer to hit the road with. I love to camp in the state parks in WI. We've been camping for the past 30 years and I would love to travel too.
It just seems to me that AS should be made to last and last. I know the old trailers are still around after all these years. My question really is:
Will the new trailers be around as long as the old ones? Do they still make them out of the same material? If we really keep a close watch on our new (or relatively new) AS, will it still be here in 30 years?
Would love to hear more replies Thanks!
Realistically does it need to last 30 years? I bought my trailer new at about 53 years old. Frankly I cannot see myself hitching and unhitching, setting up a trailer when I'm deep into my 70s. I'd say a ten year run with anything is a good run in life. My '05 is aging very gracefully, in fact it looks almost brand new. I think it will still look great at 10 years old. And probably will be very serviceable at 15 years old with normal maintenance.

My point is unless you're young we're the limiting factor, not the trailer.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Yes, I think the new ones will be around just as the old ones are. The basic construction design has not changed significantly over time. They are still made of aluminum. The suspension system has not changed in 40 or so years. What has changed are interior decor items, and the exterior finish on the trailers. Ours is 14 years old and spent much of its time sitting (the worst thing you can do to a travel trailer) It is still sound. There are little items we have fixed and some more items we want to fix (like worn upholstery) We did have one leak when we bought it, but it caused no lasting damage other than a fabric stain.

The Airstream is a wonderful trailer as well as family camping experience.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1965 Caravel , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
It seems you are looking for reasons to not buy one, except, then I read another post and think you are looking for reasons to buy one.

Since you've already been told they are made of different things at different times, there's no answer to that question without looking in detail into every model built. No one can tell you whether anything will be around in 30 years until 2041. These questions are so general in scope they can't be answered without a treatise.

Do you go through this every time you buy a car or any big ticket item? I wonder too about such things and I do ask questions and do research, but there's nothing definite in life and eventually you have to make a decision, hope for the best and sometimes, hopefully not often, you will do a really dumb thing. Everyone makes mistakes and regrets get you nowhere. Regrets before you buy anything are especially toxic.

Ask yourself which model you wantócheck out floor plans, amenities, water storage, everything that's important to you. Decide how much you can spend. Answering those questions will vastly limit the models available. Then ask about problems with those specific models and years and you may get better answers.

I hope I am not too harsh. It seems like you are stuck on how to go forward and going around in circles.

Gene
I am trying to justify paying three times as much for a trailer as the ones I've seen at the trailer shows. Not only do we have to pay a huge premium to buy one, but we will have to travel half way (in either direction) to find a deal (which probably won't turn out to be a deal after all). We can buy a new 23' Jayco with a queen bed, sofa sleeper, and dinette for $13,995. The only trouble is, I don't like it. I love the layout, I just hate the color of it. DH says forget it, you will never be happy with it. Very true, but if I pay $30,000 for a used 2006 23' AS, that potentially has just as many issues as an old one, I feel like I can't do it. Like I said before, I'm not the "Coach" purse type. I need a reason to pay twice the price. I'd love to find an old one in WI, at a reasonable price, but I'm not the only one looking. As guess it's really about the tug at your heart. People love them and are willing to pay more to have them. Very much like a Coach purse.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1965 Caravel , Wisconsin
Sorry if I offended anyone with comparing Jayco to Airstream. I LOVE Airstream. I just think it will be next to impossible for us to find a small. late model AS that is under $15,000. It is disheartening but I will keep looking (for a while anyway). Thanks for your replies.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #21
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Sorry if I offended anyone with comparing Jayco to Airstream. I LOVE Airstream. I just think it will be next to impossible for us to find a small. late model AS that is under $15,000. It is disheartening but I will keep looking (for a while anyway). Thanks for your replies.
I think it will be next to impossible for you to find ANY year small Airstream that is in really good shape for under $15,000. The smaller they are, the more expensive they are.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Sorry for the hijack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
I think the answer to your questions may be fairly easy. You mentioned that your SOB was junk after only 3 years. That speaks volumes in itself. The reason you see much activity on forums restoring/updating AS is because they last 40, 50 & 60 years or more (with proper upkeep). Most sob's have a hard time making it 10 years.

Quest. #1 - The floors are made from plywood.
Quest. #2 - Not sure any change here other than type of wood perhaps (others will chime in with info).
Quest. #3 - Routine inspection.
Quest. #4 - No. Most AS go much longer than any of the sob before leaks develop. Some never leak. I've seen AS being used out in the woods for hunting camps that have not moved for 40 years with no leaks. You will need to do your routine inspections just like you would with any camper or even your own house. If you find a leak in your AS, sob or house you catch it early and have it repaired.
I found a 65 Safari 2 years ago. I spent the better part of a year restoring/updating the entire trailer. It is currently 45 years old and I expect that it will out last me. Happy hunting.
Tim - please tell me details on your wheels, manufacturer, size, width, bolt circle etc. Many thanks
Old 02-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
In 1 million years, whos gonna care? Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I'm not trying to talk you out of Airstreams, but you do know many pop-ups now are available with electric lifts?

And if you're very concerned about post-purchase "issues", a new Airstream may be better than a used or vintage one. There's the 2 year factory warranty to help calm your apprehensions.
pop up with electric lift? Sounds good to me.... Esp since the Airstream is so far from being ready....
Old 02-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1965 Caravel , Wisconsin
I'm very happy to say we found just what we wanted! A 1965 Caravel that was only a few hours away. She is beautiful! Yes, it will need some work, but after what we put into our park model after it flooded, this is a walk in the park! I think my dh loves it as much as I do. It's the first time I've seen him interested in something in a long time! Wish me luck
Old 03-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Luck.

Glad this part of the journey is over, some miles to go.

Gene