Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2019, 09:29 AM   #21
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We're going to strongly recommend a good used Airstream that's a year or two old. Someone else will have dealt with the worst warranty issues, and it will still be under warranty in case you find anything else. Main thing to check on any used model is the seams between the exterior aluminum sheets and to look for any possible water damage from current or previous leaks. In any case, if you buy from a dealer have all those seams checked and then re-sealed where appropriate as part of the sale - even if you have to pay for that service.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:00 AM   #22
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
Think about how you want to use the trailer, with or without shore power? within reach of cell phone coverage? or off the grid?

I personally am afraid that Airstream is adding a lot more power consuming electronics than the the already marginal batteries can support. I would not want the power awning for example, but would want an awning as we use our a great deal. We tend to canp at National Parks and monuments without shore power.

It all depends on your style
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I suggest it is all about your willingness to spend money and your risk profile. A used trailer clearly will cost less, but the risk of unrevealed problems exists. In our case we bought a very, very lightly used trailer that was one year old at a big discount. The original dealer was one with a good PDI history so our initial problems were negligible. However, in the 6 years since, we have encountered numerous, and maybe the usual, AS quality issues.
If you buy new, you pay a lot more but you get a warranty for the stuff you find. Only you can determine what that warranty means to you. How close is the nearest dealer? Mine is 4 hours away and I would try to fix something myself rather than incur the 16 hour drive penalty, since you always have to leave the trailer at the dealer for a while. It is hard to tell whether these trailers are built any better now than 5 or so years ago, because the problems are more evident on a forum such as this. But, there are plenty of reports of new trailer quality issues so you would not be immune.
I am still convinced my decision was the right one and after what I have encountered, I would never spend the money for a new Airstream. They are way overpriced for what you get...that is my opinion and I am sticking to it.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:44 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Belmont , California
Things that worked but broke
Fridge fell out
Half round cabinet doors falling out, still falling out after many trips to the dealer
Half round cabinet doors latch broke
Other cabinet doors falling out
Leaking roof
Popping rivets
Squeaky floor, still squeaking after repair
Tire wear unevenly

Things that should have worked but didn't
Dead battery on delivery
Kitchen faucet self opening

Things that are faulty by design
Owning difficult to operate unless you are a strong 6ft. or better.
Door step difficult to get in and out.
Charger useless unless at full service campground most of the time.

And I left out many small items
chugchug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:53 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We also went from a 20' to a 25' back in 2014.

I looked at used, but it's a popular model so the prices were high for a one or two year old model. It was only a couple of thousand dollars difference so we went for new. That us some newer features and a two year warranty. We had a few minor things taken care of on warranty the first year. No regrets.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
No build issues

Bought a new 2014 FC 25 and last March bought new 2019 Classic 30. No issues with either one.
AT&T is a disappointment, as is the router Airstream chose, but no build issues at all.
Love the Alde heating. So good you forget it exists.
Safetyfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by chugchug View Post
Things that worked but broke
Fridge fell out
Half round cabinet doors falling out, still falling out after many trips to the dealer
Half round cabinet doors latch broke
Other cabinet doors falling out
Leaking roof
Popping rivets
Squeaky floor, still squeaking after repair
Tire wear unevenly

Things that should have worked but didn't
Dead battery on delivery
Kitchen faucet self opening

Things that are faulty by design
Owning difficult to operate unless you are a strong 6ft. or better.
Door step difficult to get in and out.
Charger useless unless at full service campground most of the time.

And I left out many small items
This is our experience with AS quality. We have a 2017 and have heard that year has had major problems, and we have. One big problem we have had is the dealerships we have used, both have been awful and I will never go to again. The quality of dealer service work has been awful, something is missed, broken or not covered under warranty every time.

So don't buy a used 2017, don't buy the extended warranty and find a dealer with good service. The west coast doesn't have any good service dealers other then the dealer in Los Banos Ca.

Good luck, they are beautiful but very expensive to own.
ProTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:07 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
My comment earlier motivated me to look behind my shower wall again (I wish it were clear plexiglass for real, ha ha...constantly uneasy about what’s happening behind my shower wall). Today’s discovery, no leaks, but a broken screw...now I will spend all afternoon on this screw. My Airstream dealership just left the broken screw in there and capped over it, but that’s not my style...it’s all very personal. #ZenandtheartofAirstreamMaintenance Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7524.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	358311

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7522.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	358316

**This photo shows a few things for those interested. You can see how there is caulking behind the shower hot/cold on off silver faucet thing (what is that called for the life of me)? Airstream does not do that or at least didn’t on mine, so literally every time you shower on a factory Airstream any water you get on the faucet leaks down behind the wall and into the wood floor of your Airstream, how bad is that happening, how wild are you with your wand I guess, har har?

You can also see the lovely and now much appreciated by me “telephone chord”.
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:10 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
We've been happy with our '17 26RBT bought new. We only had the 2 year warranty so think the 3 year warranty with new Airstreams is better. One visit to Jackson Center at end of our 2 year period took care of a number of small issues but mostly to replace the front AC which had lost coolant.
Dave-n-Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:16 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
If everyone who was happy with the purchase of a new unit were to post, those posts from complainers would approximate a pimple on an elephants....., well, you get my drift. I can afford new, but for me, why spend the extra to enjoy the immediate depreciation, if you can find what you want pre-owned. We've done that twice, and IF we step up to a larger unit again, that's what we'll do again. Yeah, finding that needle in the haystack may take a little time, which may not be satisfactory for you. But to your question, one shouldn't worry about quality buying new, IMHO.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:06 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
North-Central , Florida
Satisfied owner of new 2019 FC25FBTwin. Only a few minor warranty issues that have been nicely addressed by dealer. I say go for it (and be prepared to do the few "small fixes" yourself) and rely on your 3 yr warranty if you have any bigger problems (hopefully not.)
djbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We have owned 3 different 25's; 06', 08', and a new 14'. Now we have a 28' we also bought new. The 25' is a great size; you can pull with most 1/2T's or larger SUV's, and it is pretty comfortable living size. We got tired of the lounge area for visiting or watching tv, is the reason we went up to the 28'. But, if you got an older model, you might consider changing out the lounge for a wrap around conversion like they do at Airstream Adventure custom shop in Oregon...gives you a nice lounge area and extra storage with useful serving area on top of the drawers. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS NW kitchen lounge.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	358336  
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:46 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Belmont , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by caronair View Post
Hi all- we have had a 2012 20’ Flying Cloud for 5 years. Bought it used and have had no major problems-we are wanting to go bigger as we now have a small dog and while we really like the 20’- it’s just too small. We are debating between a brand new model or a good used one- possibly 25’. Love being part of the Airstream family.

We keep reading about folks who are buying new Airstreams and complaining about quality and consistency of newer product. We don’t hear much from satisfied owners of new Airstreams- are you out there? Should we go new or try and get an older model that might be better constructed?

We welcome your thoughts.
Important questions to ask: How many weeks was the trailer in use? How many miles towed? How many miles of gravel or dirt roads was it towed? How much boondocking vs full service campgrounds? How many adults, kids, pets use it? etc.
chugchug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:29 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
Have owned a few RV's over the years (SOB-TT, 5-ers, MH, popup). Bought our first AS new about 16 months ago and it is by far the best RV we've ever owned. Took it on an 8000 mile trip this past June/July and several shorter trips with no major issues. Have used it in snow weather to 95+deg. Have had a few very minor issues, all fixed at JC in August. With the 3-year warranty, I'd recommend buying new if that's in your budget.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:03 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
We bought new in 2018 and are satisfied. A few minor issues that were easily corrected under warranty.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:20 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
We also bought new in 2018. A classic. More issues than I would have wanted but nothing a couple trips to the dealer didn't fix. We are very happy with it.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:21 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Richland , Washington
Thanks for input!

Thanks all for responding- very helpful info- See you on the road!
caronair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:25 AM   #38
dropped rivet in grass

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Tarzan , Texas
The wife and I bought a 2019 22FB Sport earlier this year and traveled to NY and back. We had no problems other than a popped rivet, which was probably my fault. But, like you, we discovered a need for a bit of extra room, and we felt the 2019 23FB that we traded for was the ideal size, not too big, not too small.

The 22FB we traded in was described as "Gently Used" by the dealer, and sold within a month. I bet the new owners will be happy.
Tall Grass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:26 AM   #39
ZOZ
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
Ours is Good

We bought FC23FB new in 2018. No major failures. The little issues I fixed myself. No regrets.

zoz
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:16 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I second what ProTech said about finding a good dealer on the West Coast. I also bought in Los Banos, Calif.

The best service shop on the West Coast is Vinnie's Airstream Repair in Northern Calif.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote