Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California
Need Advice On New Airstream Purchase

My husband and I would like to purchase a new Airstream. We noticed that people have two options when purchasing new:

1) Order a new one from the factory with the options you want

2) Save quite a bit of money by buying one that is new but has been sitting on the dealer lot for months.

The money savings of buying one that has been sitting on the dealer lot for months appeals to us but we wondered:

What are some of the things people should be aware of when considering buying a unit has that been sitting for a while on the dealer lot?

Thank you for your time and help with this
sierrafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It's no more of a concern than the same scenario on a car lot. Look for obvious signs of lot damage and "guests" who may have broken or soiled something. Look for weather (hail, etc.) damage. Unless it's been in inventory more than a year (without significant price reductions), I wouldn't be concerned.

Heck, we got my daughter an Impala that was a year on the lot due to a misorder (long story) that made it undesirable due to price vs. trim level. With past model allowance, dealer discount, rebate....she got it for 28% off sticker. She got way more car than she thought she could afford and the only ramification was a musty smell in the AC from being started and shut off often. A disinfectant bulletin procedure took car of that. She now has had it 2 1/2 years and 37,000 and it has been fine.

I actively look for these kinds of deals.....but I can do my own out-of-warranty work.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You won't save much if any buying an in-stock trailer, and some of them have been treated badly by tire-kickers and RV shows. I recently looked at new inventory and half had minor corrosion starting from sitting on the lot last winter near a salted roadway, or being towed on salted roads to RV shows.

We have bought both ways, much more satisfied with the factory-fresh trailer. Research and get the one you really want, order it, maintain it well and keep it a lifetime.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Unless you have an RV history I suggest you not buy a NEW rig. Almost no one can predict what they will want in a trailer to justify the cost of new unless they have some RV history.

Now if money is not an object disregard this.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks SO much for the feedback so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Unless you have an RV history I suggest you not buy a NEW rig. Almost no one can predict what they will want in a trailer to justify the cost of new unless they have some RV history.

Hi HowieE,

Thank you for your feedback. We were both surprised to read what you said because we would have thought just the opposite We thought, since we don't have ANY RV experience, we better buy NEW so that we could ease into the process and learn little by little as things slowly begin to break down. Apparently our logic is amiss...what are we missing???

Thanks again for your help - much appreciated!
Old 09-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
One more thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

Hi HowieE,

One more thing, we assumed that because we are in a position to buy new, we would be avoiding the maintenance nightmares that can occur with older RV's. Are we missing something?
Old 09-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrafun View Post
Hi HowieE,

One more thing, we assumed that because we are in a position to buy new, we would be avoiding the maintenance nightmares that can occur with older RV's. Are we missing something?
You may have just opened up a can of worms......
Some people here are quite vocal about their dissatisfaction with their new Airstreams quality. We purchased a new 16' Serenity this spring and could not be happier. Our trailer has had a few little "failures" but nothing of real consequence. My advice is to do your homework, read everything you can on the subject (remember all of us posting here are "experts" in the way everyone online is!), exercise prudence in choosing your dealer ( this may be the most important thing you do!!!) and buy what you want. If you really have no experience in the field or in another parallel hobby (we sail, a hobby/lifestyle similar enough to give us a clue) then move slowly! Good luck and have fun!

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Hi HowieE,

If I had the money to buy new, I would buy new. In my opinion, you just need to study all of the models and options and do the best you can to pick the right model with the right options the first time because of the high rate of depreciation on travel trailers. You need to take into consideration the vehicle you plan to use as the tow vehicle. There are a variety of opinions about tow vehicle requirements.

Also new travel trailers (all brands) do not seem to have the same level of trouble free operation that a new car has. You need to be prepared to have a good inspection and preventive maintenance startegy from the start for a new or old trailer.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Bud is right. IMO the RV industry is about where the auto industry was in the 70's, at best.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Bud is right. IMO the RV industry is about where the auto industry was in the 70's, at best.
Oh no! You are not comparing my lovely new Airstream to a 1971 Chevy Vega???
Or worse perhaps a 79 Olds Cutlas Supreme with a Diesel
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Oh no! You are not comparing my lovely new Airstream to a 1971 Chevy Vega???
Or worse perhaps a 79 Olds Cutlas Supreme with a Diesel
Bruce
Nooooo, more like a 1971 Corvette.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
New VS Very Gently Used

22 months after buying my first brand spanking new Airstream, I bought my second. Just coveted more room. Hence my Avatar, Foiled AGAIN.

Since I don't have those decisions to live over again - I'm going to give YOU the precious gift of 20-20 hindsight - and a possible $15K or so savings.

Consider GENTLY USED - almost new! People will buy these things, camp twice and decide "NO momma wants a hotel and room service!" Or one of the partners loses a job, or one has a stroke and can't drive, or "honey I know we gave up on having children but we're preggers with twins!" ...And the Airstream becomes yard art or (better yet for you) the Airstream becomes a disasterous expense which must be unloaded quickly.

I really respect people who unload rather than just let their Airstreams rot away - and I'm all for getting one with six to eight months left on the warranty IF it's been reasonably well cared for AND you can get it for 30%-40% lower than list for the current model. (You should be able to get a new one for 20% off list if you bargain hard enough and aren't entering the spring buying season... perhaps a bit less on the west coast due to transport cost)

LOOK before you leap. This is your best chance to get a good fit on your first Airstream. (courtesy note - wear clogs and socks - kick the clogs at the door so you aren't tracking in dirt or putting foot funk on the floor.)

Visit a big dealer with a robust inventory. Spend a lot of time touring each unit. Check all the bathrooms, dinettes, beds, etc. for size. (I'm left handed and some of the bathrooms are very right hand friendly) There are also many WBCCI and Forum Rallies you might attend (WBCCI - check if it's open to prospective owners). At virtually every one almost all owners are delighted to show you their units - uh scratch that - their AIRSTREAMS. Tour as many as you can. This is where you see "lived in" versus "showroom floor" or floorplan. Ask OWNERS "what do you like most? and what would you change?" The one I first thought I wanted - well the layout is perfect for a size 8 or smaller woman which unfortunately I AM NOT. Tall people often find some bathrooms are kneebangers and that the throne has to be remounted at an angle and used with the door open to accommodate them. I've seen a few where the owners replaced the door with a curtain for just that reason (I particularly like one where the inside of the curtain was a cloth shoe caddy.)

Size of bed, bed orientation (can both people get out without crawling over each other) or twin beds which can allow the bedroom to be used as a child's game area with a folding table and give easier access to under the bed storage are also choices.

If you buy used it is imperative that you check the floor for evidence of leaks and that means nose to the carpet/vinyl and peeling it back if possible. Look here for the Volunteer Inspector's list.

As another poster said, if this is your first foray into RV ownership, you don't know what you want until you've paid for it and find you're missing something, or have something you wished you didn't.

If there is an "Airstream only" park in your area - visit it. For sale signs abound as people age out - sometimes these units are older though.

Happy trails. Paula
Old 09-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
When looking for our first Airstream, first RV actually, we decided it had to be new. Yes, they're hellishly expensive but we reckoned on this being our only RV purchase so we'd make it a good one. There was also the thought that new meant that no one else had used it, lightly or otherwise, and that was quite important for us.

Our dealer actually offered us a very good deal on an unused model on the lot but it had been there a while and showed signs of internal wear just from the prospective buyers moving through it, quite possibly at RV shows.

We've had no major issues with our Airstream and the minor things were quickly sorted out by the dealer. I know that's not everyone's experience but buying new has been pretty good for us.

That said, I think there's a lot of valid advice offered in the other posts in this thread, too.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Hi HowieE,

Then buy new! You have the two-year warranty and can learn a lot in the interim. You are also establishing a relationship with a dealer who can help you. I think dealers treat the maintenance customers who bought from them better than those who did not. I knew absolutely nothing; the thought of me trying to fix an older trailer is laughable.

There's something nice about christening the interior fittings and conveniences too. Then the trailer truly feels like yours!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
None , Happy
I bought a new AS Internaional Sig 23 about two months ago and I'm glad I did. I also bought a cheap other brand earlier in the year thinking I would learn from that. Wish I had just bought the AS first! Waste money not getting the AS from the start...
thomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
New versus Old

Several KOA campgrounds around the USA have a special 25FB units you can rent overnight. The 25FB is one of the most popular floor plans and the KOA units are very similar to Flying Clouds. There are two KOA's in California with these units and I encourage you to spend a couple of nights in one before buying new or used. My wife and did the KOA overnight in Bar Harbour, Maine and it helped us greatly understand what we might be getting into. The California locations are:

Santa Cruz / Monterey Bay KOA (CA)
Stockton Delta KOA (CA)

There is also a KOA Airstream for rent at Circus Circus in Las Vegas. A link to the KOA trailer web page is: Unique Lodging and Accommodations | KOA Campgrounds

We spent considerable time considering new versus used in making our first Airstream and first RV purchase. We ended up following the approach suggested by Paula and Howie to buy lightly used. Our 2008 Safari 27FB SE unit (purchased by us in August 2011) had experienced less than 10 nights of camping and looked brand new. We've spent some money since buying it making repairs (we unfortunately had leaks and floor rot, plus we installed new 16" wheels and Michelin tires). Financially we are still way ahead of the cost of even a discounted new unit. Most people who see our trailer today are surprised when we tell them our trailer is four years old. Based on prices I'm currently seeing on eBay, and the AirForums classifieds for equivalent Airstreams, we would likely break even if we decided to sell it today. Fortunately the size and floor plan work for us so we don't anticipate any need to change.

I hope you will enjoy your new (or used) Airstream purchase as much as we've enjoyed ours. Not long after we started our search an owner of multiple Airstreams over time told me, "If you take the time to look, your Airstream will find you." We spent a year looking before our Safari found us.

If I can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to send me a PM.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Great advice given on this thread. Now just take your time, follow the advice and you will end up a happy Airstream owner. Buy informed. Buy new or gently used, whatever works for you.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
WOW - Thank you SO much for your advice!

A BIG thank you to everyone who has been generous and gracious in giving us their advice.

Bruce B - Thank you for the heads up on the possible opening of a "can of worms"

Ridgerunner3 - Thank you for the heads up on allotting for a preventative maintenance budget. Do you think $50 monthly is enough? We understand we'll need to add that CorrosionX stuff every 3 months. Not sure if that will cover it?

Paula - Thank you, thank you, thank you for your gift to us of 20/20 hindsight! You gave us a lot to consider and for this we are grateful

MrUKToad - My husband is still in your camp thinking it has to be new and shares your opinion and will try hard to get the best price possible to make this a reality. After reading the advice here, I'm leaning more toward gently used but we'll see...thank you for your time and advice.

Fly at Night - Your words are music to my husband's ears But honestly, you bring up a good point...if we buy new, plan to use it A LOT during the first 2 years so that warranty will cover us. Thank you for this!

Thomp - Great to hear that your AS has served you well! Very encouraging to those of us considering new. Thank you for sharing!

Florida 55 - Great advice that we rent first We just looked and the closest KOA to us is Las Vegas...yet another reason to go to Vegas baby As for floor plans, the last 3 weekends have been dedicated to nothing but dissecting floor plans and writing out the pros and cons of each one. Honestly, neither of us ever thought we would be spending so much time on something like a floor plan! Who knew? Also, thank you for confirming that "gently used" has worked well for you. Finally, we really appreciate your invitation to PM you for any questions we may have in the future...we may take you up on that

Touring Dan - Thank you for reminding us to take our time...good point. Sometimes in the zealousness of it all, we can make rush decisions. Honestly, it's mainly me...I'm biting at the bit to explore the great outdoors. So thank you for the reminder to pull back the reins a bit.

Again, we appreciate everyone's time and generosity with this and look forward to more advice should anyone be willing to share...
Old 09-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
My husband and I would like to purchase a new Airstream. We noticed that people have two options when purchasing new:

1) Order a new one from the factory with the options you want

2) Save quite a bit of money by buying one that is new but has been sitting on the dealer lot for months.

The money savings of buying one that has been sitting on the dealer lot for months appeals to us but we wondered:

What are some of the things people should be aware of when considering buying a unit has that been sitting for a while on the dealer lot?

Thank you for your time and help with this
Hi, I will try to keep this simple. We bought a brand new trailer and got a great deal too. Our trailer was in line to be made, so the dealer took our order of what we wanted. So we got a good deal and exactly what we wanted. Our best deal was in Oregon, not California. Good luck.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hi Bob,

Thank you for this tip! We were under the impression that if we ordered brand new with exactly the options we wanted, we would have to pay full MSRP! Glad to hear that is not the case :-) If we were to go this route, what would you say we should expect to pay i.e. 10% off normal MSRP or even more like 20% off?

Thank you again Bob!