Old 05-28-2007, 06:06 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
When we had our 16, we worked in it quite a lot. Two laptops with internet access and a wireless printer. The dinette is pretty comfy for working all day while sitting. The view out the big windows around the dinette is a plus too.

Pecos Pete
Cow Creek, NM
'07 34' Classic
Pecos Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:18 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Originally Posted by JerryMcMunn
Given the fact that we are trying to intermix pleasure with business..........what are your thoughts?
The dinette actually makes a pretty nice work area - there is power, good light, and the wrap around windows. The question is what will your partner be doing - the only options are the other side of the dinette, the bed, or outside.

ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario

We had the same dilema. We picked the 19ft (75th version) for the extra space.. since we may be working while playing as well (if we can ever get internet at our main campground!). The 16ft just seemed too tight.

Also we found one of our favourite 'amenties' is the shower. It is just great to be able to not have to use the camp shower, and its so handy. Water heats up in 5 minutes. In the 19ft the shower seems 'huge', and has the seat. You have enough room to get dressed even with the bathroom door still closed.

In the 16ft... we would have had to shower with a toilet.. which just wasn't our thing... and it seemed real cramped. Otherwise we did love the 16fter and the wrap arounds!

I'm 6ft and we don't have any issue with the bed in the 19ft.

We have done a bit of work in it so far... the 19ft is fine. Not sure if we had 3ft less space. Computers, mice, backup drives, writing material and all that work stuff does need a bit more space... along with future networking gear etc.

Our camping usage is about 35-40 nights a season.
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:34 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2006 16' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
I have an International 16 and it is great. doesn't have stand alone shower but great little rig. Especially good for state parks where size is limited in some cases
Don Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #19
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
go for the largest trailer you can tow. The longer the trip the more room it is nice to have.
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
We had a 19ft. Hated it. Horrible bed and the bath was not only too small but right next to the bed. Not enough windows opened to get a cross flow of air. Kept it six weeks and traded it in.

I'd go for the 16. A wet bath is no biggie for me and the bed is better. I can put up with a lot if I get a good nights sleep.
I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
> Fortunately, there was never any noticable sign of overheating of any of the fluids.

How high did your transmission fluid temperature gauge get?

> Okay, if we had a 19' Bambi (say CCD or 75th Anniv., for example) and carried 700# less stuff (and took any driving speed advice you may be so kind as to to offer), how do you think the Ridgeline would perform?

I think it is going to be working a lot harder than it ever did with the Basecamp. With no options, no propane, no water, and none of your stuff, these 19s start out at least 1,000 pounds heavier than the most your Basecamp should've ever weighed (2700 pound GVWR?) fully loaded. They also probably have more frontal area and higher coefficient of drag than the Basecamp, a major factor at highway speeds.

If you want a 19, get a 19. I don't think it would be an unsafe combination at reasonable towing speeds, 55-65 mph. Just make sure to put the rig on a CAT scale once you get it to make sure you aren't overloading anything.
RoadKingMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member
2007 19' International CCD
Vancouver , Washington
Thumbs up Ridgeline and 19' is A-OK

Jerry - I towed my 19' Bambi from Portland, OR to Central Oregon this weekend. This trip involves going from sea level, up to 4000', down to 3400, up 4100', down to about 2400', then up to 3400', then back home. It was about 80 degrees for most of the trip there. For the most part, I was able to move along at the speed I wanted, except for a couple of miles through the steepest parts, all of which has passing lanes, where I went about 45-50 mph at 4000-4500 rpm. The coolent temperature needle never moved from its normal location. I had a full fresh water tank and water heater, firewood in the truck, a full fridge, 2 adults and a child, and about a hundred or so pounds of gear/clothing. I also have a canopy, which is over 100 pounds. I am not a terribly experienced "tow-er", but the Ridgeline sure seems fine for the job to me. I would highly recommend the Equal-i-zer hitch, it seems to do a great job. Jon
jonyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #23
Head Animal Wrangler
2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
There are probably as many opinions and preferences as there are trailers.

I'm a die hard 16 footer fan. I have the Quicksilver Edition and as hard as the dealer tried to get me to go larger I stuck with the 16 and LOVE it. I can turn on a dime and squeeze into any space. Tows like a dream. It's cute as a button and everyone just loves to check it out. I use the dinette for a work space too and it's no problem. I don't mind the shower at all (kind of fun sitting down to wash the feet) and haven't had any problem with the grey/black tank. It's almost too easy. There is so much storage that I still haven't filled it all.

I would suggest going to the dealer and sitting in all kinds of Bambis and imagining yourself living/camping in them. Everyone's needs are different.
But you can't really go wrong with any Airstream.
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:10 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas

FWIW...I have sold several 16' Bambi's over the last four years and most of those owner's have been back in to trade up to a 19'...just more room...wet bath...better access to bed...and more storage are some of the few reasons that I hear for trading to a larger (but still small and towable) unit.

Either way, you are still looking at the best travel trailer on the road today!

Airstream of Arkansas

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois

Thanks for all the fantastic information you provided. It was invaluable. Based on it and the experience we gained by owning a Basecamp for two months, we have decided to begin looking for a 19' CCD with a decor that is pleasant to us.

In case I forgot to mention, we took one 2000 mile trip in our Basecamp. Subsequently, it was completely destroyed in a fire at our dealer's repair shop. The fire was reported to have started in a diesal repair shop that was adjacent to our dealer's space. The fire destroyed the entire building and all the contents as well as 5-6 RV's sitting outside but close to the building.

We liked the Basecamp but hope we have better luck with the Bambi.

Thanks again,

JerryMcMunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:18 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member
Evanston , Illinois

We did it. We replaced our fire-destroyed Basecamp with a new 19' Ocean Breeze CCD Bambi. It's maiden voyage was successful and we are looking forward to our planned one week trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #27
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Smaller vs Larger

Originally Posted by thecatsandi
go for the largest trailer you can tow. The longer the trip the more room it is nice to have.
The advice given to me by an Airstream owner in the 1980s who had owned several sizes was, "Go for the biggest one you can afford. The difference in towing a small trailer vs. a large trailer is negligible compared to towing vs. not towing.” I have found space to be very valuable.

vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member
Evanston , Illinois
Hi Vaughn,

Obviously, we agreed with the advice given you. We liked the Basecamp and, had it not been destroyed by fire, we would have enjoyed it for years. In its absence, we chose to go with the 19' Intl. CCD Bambi for the additional space & convenience but regret having to give up the toy-hauling capabilities. It was wonderful riding the motorcycle among the mesas in northeastern AZ this April!