Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2003, 10:27 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Model differences?

To begin with I do not as yet have a travel trailer, but am contemplating buying one. With all of the various manufacturers out there, selling many different models, finding the one that will suit my needs can become quite daunting. Regarding Airstream trailers, can anyone clear up the question that I have about models. I read about International, Safari, Sovereigh, Excella, and others but have no idea what the differences are between these. At first I thought that the differences were based solely upon the length of the trailer, but now have found that this is not the only factor. Can someone provide a brief description of the differences between the A/S models, or direct me to a source that would have this information? Thanks.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Model differences?

Greetings and welcome to the Forums!

Airstream hasn't been known for its consistency with model name usage since about 1968. Since 1968 the meaning of a particular model name had a tendency to change from year to year. Prior to 1968, the model name (Safari, Overlander, Ambassador, etc.) referred to the length of the trailer while Land Yacht applied to the standard equipped model and International referred to a upgrade option that featured a variety of components that did change from year to year. About the only way to determine just what equipment was included in a particular year's trailer of a given model is through the sales literature as even when the model names were more consistent in the 1950s and 1960s, the standard (Land Yacht) equipment level varied to a degree and the components included in the International package varied from year to year.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote