Old 05-03-2014, 05:54 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Making the Deal

We are the classic first-time buyers. I have watched AS as long as I can remember (and that goes back 60 years of camping). We were accomplished cruising sailors who gave up the last boat 14 years ago to paddle kayaks and camp in the Adirondacks. Sleeping in a tent has grown old along with my bones and the dream of having an AS is soon becoming a reality. All my research has been online for the last few years and I expected to make the 8-hour drive to Colonial when a dealership 20-minutes away was awarded the AS franchise two months ago. I have been reading the threads on buying/discounts/markdowns/tradeoffs. We arrived at our first choice of a 23FB as the best model for us. While the first two years will be dry camping in the Adirondacks, we are planning longer trips out west and like the big bathroom, booth dinette and 60" bed of the 23. There is a 23FB just in and the newbe AS dealer is showing it today at their spring Open House. The question, after I rambled on so long, is this:
We are specific on what we want. It has to be the Golden Night UL. This one is Mica, but the comment from the dealer is "we can change out the countertops to Night, it would only be about $500. I want the unit to be as close to right as possible. Do I consider having a change of countertops, or do I look further even if it would mean waiting for the 2015s to come out?

Old 05-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
Trying to run away.....

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
I think they want to make a special order and have an incoming unit changed to your liking. I'm in the same boat as you trying to find a AS that is configured to my tastes. In the end is the compromise going to hamper your experience? I for one say get what you want don't settle. Otherwise you will spend time online looking at inventory and hoping to snatch one up.

Keep it simple. Search an area that would be worth your time to drive. So if 8 hours to Colonial is it then make the deal in NJ. Maybe get the local dealer to order/build the one you want and wait.

I would drive 8 hours for the right AS at the right price. I wouldn't drive 8 hours without a good price for the right unit.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Gee not that I know much about this. But my guess would be the 500.00 up charge to change out the counters really is nothing in the big picture. Further I'm guessing that 500.00 could be negotiated into the purchase price as the dealer will never let you walk over 500$$.

Finally, This same 500.00 will be nothing compared to the price increase one will see with a 2015 model compared to a 14.

Anyway, that's my .02

Cheers
Doug
Old 05-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Well, the update after Saturday is change counters n/c and 14% off MSRP. I said I would think.
Today they offered to transport back to factory to change counters n/c and haul back next day. I'm thinking....
Old 05-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
Trying to run away.....

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Damn...get it in writing, get the factory work order and seal the deal. Since they are going back to the factory for the work that sounds pretty decent. Just need to be sure the work is done at AS.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Sounds to me like you have a dealer who wants your business and is willing to do what he (feels) he has to to get it.

So if your happy with the deal as offered - make it happen and enjoy your new Airstream!
Again just my .02

Cheers
Doug
Old 05-07-2014, 06:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Sounds like the dealer is really trying to work with you. If that trailer is speaking to you, don't let it go. Nice weather is here and it is time to get camping!!!
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
If you do the deal, rather than have them trailer it why don't you drive it to the factory and go camping along the way. Do the factory tour, experience the night life of Jackson Center, maybe even get to see them working on your trailer especially if it only takes a day to swap the counters.

Ok, only kidding about the night life...
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Funny how time passes. Now it's February and we never pulled the switch on the 23FB. I'm still working and we fell in love with the 2015 25A! I like the ducted Air and my wife likes the new shades, the separate freezer and roomy dinette. The twin beds make getting up at 3am much easier.

The Hunt continues!!
Old 02-05-2015, 08:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Just remember that you can keep waiting for the next improvement to get it "just right" forever. If you've got the money for it, find something that looks close enough and go for it.

That 14% off MSRP sounds pretty low to me. Most coaches are going for somewhere around 25% off MSRP. I'd offer 30% off and settle for somewhere around 20% off.

Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote