Old 09-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Made and offer on a 1977 Airstream Sovereign.

I went to check out this airstream with a friend. He was interested and he asked me to look with him since I restored one. It needs some work, but it is in better shape then my Overlander was when I bought it. It has been sitting for 10 years but it's intact. All the tires are dry rotted and they had removed the female part of the 7 way plug. My friend said he does not have the time do that much restoration, so then I became interested

I low balled the asking price, but she said she had to think about it. I figure all said and done it will cost me about five grand to bring it back to its old glory.

I like everything except the plastic in the windows that has cumbled. That would have to be corrected.

Do the 77 have mechanisms on them to remove the frames from the windows to clean them? It looks like a big job.

Brian

Old 09-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I went to check out this airstream with a friend. He was interested and he asked me to look with him since I restored one. It needs some work, but it is in better shape then my Overlander was when I bought it. It has been sitting for 10 years but it's intact. All the tires are dry rotted and they had removed the female part of the 7 way plug. My friend said he does not have the time do that much restoration, so then I became interested

I low balled the asking price, but she said she had to think about it. I figure all said and done it will cost me about five grand to bring it back to its old glory.

I like everything except the plastic in the windows that has cumbled. That would have to be corrected.

Do the 77 have mechanisms on them to remove the frames from the windows to clean them? It looks like a big job.

Brian
Brian.

I assume your talking about "double pane" windows.

Yes, they are difficult to take apart, and even more difficult to get them back together again, because of internal corrosion of the steel plates that join the 2 halves together,

Then, keep in mind, the gasket between the sash and glass, is not available.

Then you have to rivet the hinge back into place.

Also, check the suspension system out. Any torsion axle that has an appreciable amount of weight on it, and not moved in years, will more than likely havea rubber rod problem. Either the rubber has given out, or solidified. In either case, you would need to replace the axles.

You might also check all the exterior gaskets, for cracks and old age, especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets.

If the 77 has disc brakes, that will be another issue of needing attention.

Andy