Old 09-21-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Looking at a Flying Cloud

Hi,
I'm starting to look at purchasing a Vintage Airstream for restoration and have an appointment to look at a 1963 Flying Cloud next week. Wonder if someone could just give me a list of the top things to look for.

I expect it will be a lot of work, I just want to avoid getting something that's basically unfixable.

Old 09-21-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi dmaiden ~

Although I'm not an expert on this particular model, I can offer advise on what to look for on trailers of this vintage. First would be the floor. Check around the entry door, under the windows, toilet and sinks. Open the cabinets and check out the flooring there too. Verify all of the windows are glass and the hardware is in place. Inspect the top vents to see if they're present and keeping out rain. Check out the appliances. Look over the A frame and bumper for rust, surface is OK - rusted completely through is not. Stand on the back bumper and see if it feels solid. Look underneath and check for holes in the belly skin. Holes would be an indication of repair work on the waste water plumbing. Verify if it has a black and/or grey water tank. Don't worry about the soft goods, i.e.: mattresses, drapes, carpet. These you'll more than likely want to change to your own personal taste anyway. If you have access to a digital camera, take lots of pictures and post them. You'll get amazing insight from others on this forum.

If you haven't already, check out the archive page of RJ's website for '63 Flying Cloud's. Familiarize yourself with both the Ohio and CA made units ahead of time. Here's the link:

www.vintageairstream.com/archives/63FC/63FC.html

If I can assist with the inspection, let me know.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #3
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks

Thanks Flyfshr, that helps a lot. Great to see what one looks like when restored. The trailer is in So Cal, but nice to know there's an expert living so close.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Search like crazy..

Welcome, and here is the std "New Member" message...

This is time to learn to use the "Search" tab above in blue bar, which is only available after you've registered.. Type in words singly or in combination, and scan the threads that come back... There are literally hundreds of existing messages and suggestions and stories about inspecting and testing and making decisions about used and very used and abused Airstreams...

Try entering vintage and trailer and inspection and checklist for example, and you'll get a bunch. Try a different combination like flying cloud and inspect and problems.. Keep going til you've found what you need... They're out there... Sometimes the "subject" line isn't really clear, so try reading a few to see if you're in the right neighborhood..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:30 PM   #5
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
I'll learn

Thanks John. Probably a little too excited about actually going out to look at something. I'll get the rules down.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Rules?? Nope.. Guidelines....

Sorry if I was a buzz-killer. Not intended.. It is fun to see new members and enthusiasm and excitement. Many of long term members are even envious some of the interesting Airstreams found, or inherited , or acquired with an interesting story...

I was just responding to common theme, which is that new members may not realize power available through "Search" since they can't use it until registering... With literally tens of thousands of posts on hundreds of subjects, there are often posts out there that might even be more useful than a current response by one of the active reader/responders who sees your message before it falls of the fron tpage...

Happily, there are very few rules here, and a lot of guidelines and suggestions for getting the most use and enjoyment from your Airstream..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote