Old 03-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
grand rapids , Michigan
It looks like half of the pictures did not share - there were a bunch of shots of the exterior missing. Here is the new link!

PICTURE LINK

Old 03-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
grand rapids , Michigan
I am realizing now that the amount of time it would take me to complete a project like this would be hundreds of hours. I love projects, but I'd like to start camping/full timing sooner than later. Buying a trailer that has already been restored may be more financially viable for me as the time i'd be out of work would really be a big loss. Still tossing ideas around in my head - we will see...

Old 03-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Personally, I would keep looking. As stated above, it is in an average state of (dis)repair, given its age.

Look for one in an above average state, you will get to using it a lot faster. The list of what you will want to do to either of the trailers you have seen so far will be long.

A few thousand more spent now could get you a much better interior, and perhaps some already-replaced appliances. On the ones you have talked about, you will definitely have to replace the lot: furnace, water heater, stove-top cooker, voltage converter, AC unit, and the refrigerator (refer), or at the very least, the cooling unit of the old one.

Start looking for TTs in the $8k to $14k range. Oddly enough, your total investment of money should be far less that the ones you saw so far. Your additional cash investment will save you time lots of time, which will let you get out on the range and enjoy camping much quicker.

Your family will love it too!
Old 03-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
truth in that statement. That Sovereign needs a lot of cleaning to just get it decent..
It could be usable once cleaned if plumbing and such are ok, but money talks and a nicer one could be right around the corner.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Paris , Ontario
I bought a 78 31' a year and half ago - Paid $7000 CDN - trailer had one soft spot in the floor, but otherwise in good condition, but did need some tlc. - window seals, and tires.
It came with a brand new fridge ( worth $2000) and the furnace was just rebuilt.
Since, I have probably invested $3-4000.
Shocks, Brakes, carpet, patched floor beside door, added an LP Quick connect for bbq, and almost done polishing the trailer.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
31 footers look totally awesome polished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	80 Excella.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	234638  
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:32 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
grand rapids , Michigan
That polished 31 looks so nice... after looking into how long it takes to polish these, and the cost if it is professionally done - it seems like a good idea to go with one that has it done already.

I've found a ton of campers not listed here on the classifieds, some completely remodeled, others partially. Buying a neglected michigan airstream now seems crazy. Being stored outside in the rain and snow, its just asking for one with a completely rotted floor and compromised frame. I can rent/borrow a truck and drive a camper back here..

I'd much rather pay 15 - 20k for a well cared for or partially re-modeled trailer with solid appliances and subfloor than fix/replace it myself! Even though I know I could tackle it.. I just want to enjoy it sooner than later.

Thanks again for all the input!

Tags
sovereign