Old 01-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Wow! Thank you so much for the contributions! It is a great feeling to be joining (hopefully) a community of true enthusiasts.

I am almost ready to head home from my vacation and I am going to make an effort to really look at as many as I can before making the big move.

I am definitely aiming for the idea of getting a solid model that needs cosmetic work. I'll throw in an update to show you all what we end up with.

Thanks again for being an awesome community.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
A Warning

People sometimes think they can get a great bargain by buying something like the wrecked unit that is on e-bay right now. The words "salvage title" means that an insurance company has determined that the cost to repair the trailer is greater than it's book value. Damage repair is EXPENSIVE. Curved segments on the end are about $1200 each, long side panels on big tailer can go as high as $4000. Get help before you consider buying a damaged trailer OR just run like hell.

Paula

Old 01-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
I looked around and decided I loved the 25'Safari Fb model bur didn't want to shell out the bucks for new Flying Cloud. Then I started looking at the 2 then 3 then 4 year old models and saw the price drop. Wound up with a 2006 Safari FB that is in brand new condition but over 21,000 cheaper than it was new, which was even $10K less than a 2010. Saved big but got almost new in the model I wanted.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
You should know... axles need to be replaced after 15 years, even newer airstreams leak, so even if you buy a 95 model....you will become an RV tech or spend alot of money on you AS.

Come and see me at: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
My wife and I bought our 86 31' Sovereign for a song so we could try RVing without a "payment book". By the time we got it presentable, water-tight and comfortable we had fallen in love. I have $20K in my rig, have towed it 40000 miles in the past 5 years.

Is it "showroom perfect"? Nah, it has what we consider "beauty marks". Is it structurally and mechanically sound? You betcha. Does everything work? Yep. Do I now know lots more about ac/dc, plumbing, refrigeration, and sheet metal repair? Oh yeah.

It's paid for. Lot's to be said for that.

mike
Old 01-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Thumbs up

well, we have had three great USED Airstream.
* 93 29' center side ba, rear king br (our modification) (reupholstered sofa)(narrow body)
* 2000 30' center side ba, w all the glitz, queen rear br
* and now a 1999 28' center open ba rear queen (sideways) all the glitz
inc. skylites and two or three fantastic fans (highly recommend these items.

loved them all, put wood flooring in them all, added shelving in them all and other storage modifications. All were oak. Cleaned up beautifully and I might ad that I love having the wider body in the newer units.

Love the open ba we now have in the 28', can close off the br & kit/lr areas to make a nice ba dressing area. This unit seems roomier than the 30' was and I think this one will stay w us a long time.

That's the thing, you will probably modify some stuff even in the new one, if you are handy.

Sure the new ones are fresh and pretty, but the 10 year old units have lots of charm and THE PUNCH LIST issue have been done by the previous owners. VIP if you don't want to be visiting the dealer a lot.

That's my 2 cents worth. I love my Airstream!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Well, I've been reading the archives for the past couple weeks and have looked at a few. I'm off tomorrow to look at another that I think may be the right one!

I'm not sure if this is ok to request, but if there are any inspection experts out there I would love it if I could have you "walk through" the inspection via telephone tomorrow. I'd be happy to send paypal for your time and expertise. I'm looking at a 76 excella 500.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
My wife and I had a brand X and had no end to the nickle and dime problems. We bought our 1972 AS figuring we would have the same thing, but wanted to get into streaming without spending a ton of money. To our surprise the 72 is in remarkably good condition. There are many things that need fixing, but compared to our 1993 brand X they are minor. After getting everything ship shape on this trailer, I will feel like a true Airstreamer. I also won't loose too much money like I did on the brand X. I feel like we are going to school and paying our dues. Keep reading and soon you will be able to make a sound decision.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Do not have many nickle and dime problems with my Airstream. It is more like a hundred or a thousand problems.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Well it ended well! We are one happy family! 89 excella!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
FishandFly

Welcome to the wonderful world of AS ownership. It looks great. Whatever problems you may find, the Forum will help you work through them.

Dan
Old 02-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishandfly View Post
Well it ended well! We are one happy family! 89 excella!

No... it did not end well. This is just the real beginning!

And if I may say so, your unit looks pristine! Hope it's really as well cared for as it looks.

Many safe journeys and adventures, many happy returns!

Paula
Old 02-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
Boy, for a first timer you jumped in with both feet! Very nice! I hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoy ours.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
F & F! Congrats and welcome to Airstreaming! As with ANYTHING mechanical there will be problems. I'm on my 4th A/S...I've got a leak, I'm upgrading some stuff, I'm going to add solar....that's all part of the game. And it's a blast! We have an awesome community, a glorious history and you are now going to get a thumbs up from every 'Joe' on the road that passes you and wishes he was as lucky as you are.
Again, welcome and I look forward to seeing you on the road!

Tags
buying