Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Layout Issues

Not sure what forum to put this in.

We are still in the pre-purchase stages. And, in all honesty it might be as long as a year before we can act. Legal stuff, kids, finances....a whole lot of issues....

Anyways, here is what I am wrestling with. I can't readily afford new or even newer used models. However, the layouts on many of the older models leave something to be desired. So many of the older models have the darn couch with the back to a big beautiful panoramic window. What genius thought of that? I want to look out on nature (or the back of my TV ) without twisting my neck around while sitting on a couch facing inwards.

Ideally, I want a 25FB with panaoramic windows front and back. I want to be able to wake up and see the wonderful outdoors. And if I am inside sitting and relaxing or eating (when not outside doing that.....) to have nice panoramic views. Yet it seems few of the older models that fall in my price range have that ability.

Maybe I'm just venting, but putting that long couch with the back to a wonderful view is just plain shortsighted (pardon the pun).
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Ditch the couch and put in a couple small European-style recliners that swivel. Then you can turn a bit to see outside, or have the outside light behind you to read, visit, eat lunch, snooze.

The presence of view with occasional looks is more satisfying than facing it constantly.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
If I want to look out the front window I will use the swivel barrel chair that came with my Airstream. There are some floor plans that have the sofa and love seat combination. I know they were in Excella but not sure if they were in any other models. It would probably be in some of the Limited also. I had a 1979 with that seating.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Ditch the couch and put in a couple small European-style recliners that swivel. Then you can turn a bit to see outside, or have the outside light behind you to read, visit, eat lunch, snooze.

The presence of view with occasional looks is more satisfying than facing it constantly.

doug k
Doug, great point. I have one item that I didn't post originally. My wife hates, I mean hates, sitting apart from me. I had to find a folding camp chair on line that seats two. We house-sat for a friend recently. Their couch was in for re-upholstering. So we sat in separate recliners/chairs and she pouted most of the time. Which of course eliminates all units with mid section twin beds. Well all units with twin beds for that matter... unless we replace the twin beds with a single full/queen size bed.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We took out the couch in our '64 GlobeTrotter and built-in a dinette for this exact (among others) reason. We loved the layout - worked great!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
If you are handy, reconfiguring the inside of a older model isn't outrageously hard. The pre 70's trailers had wooden cabinets so wood goes back well. Starting around 1970-71 the cabinets were made of aluminum extrusion, plywood covered with laminate and plastic, they can be modified but won't look like the original ones.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OO , OO
Send a message via Skype™ to cruiser54
I would pose no problems, because of the sofa. In my old Cruiser in 1954 I make table and benches (Long bank = bed), it is not complicated!
Show sometimes in my Blog!
Greeting from Switzerland
Werner
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Getaways, you have one vintage option with dual panaromic windows - a 28' or 30' Argosy. Lovely trailers and light for their size. Rear bed, center bath, front couch. You'd need to swap out the front couch with something that works better - maybe a loveseat down the streetside of the coach - but they have the room to do that.

More modern, and more common, would be something like a 84+ 25' Sovereign or Excella. Double bed in the back, center bath, couch across the front. Just replace the couch with a L-shaped dinette/lounge - there are several members here who have done exactly that.

You'd wind up with something like a 2012 Airstream Flying Cloud 25B, but narrower (unless you buy a mid-90s or later wide body).

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Thanks for the insight everyone.

I majored in Accounting for a reason. I'm not that good with tools. My dad tried to get me to help him work on cars..... didn't work out too well. Think Ralphie in "A Christmas Story".... a little better than that but not much.... Seriously, I am not as bad as I let on, but still not real good.

My fiance', while willing and loves tools, I mean loves tools (we go to Lowes and she stops and drools like crazy), is well meaning but not as good as she thinks she is (and I can't ever show her this post.....).

However, I am sure with some of the people she and I know we could get it done if we put our minds to it.