Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2006, 11:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
You're right Ken, sorry about that. My assessment was about like Joe's and Axel's. Fortunately it wasn't far to go to see. It had been one of a collection of trailers used as storage sheds. Most of the SOB's also there as storage sheds had roof failures from an unusually heavy winter snow a couple of years ago. The guy set the price, he says, from what he could see them selling for on the I'net. But why would anyone try to paint an Airstream? I figured maybe I could help him and a potential buyer by providing something to see but I'll have to correct the year. I figure it will take some time before he figures the asking is a bit high. But, who knows? Some folks seem to be able to sell high, somehow.

Then theres Dave's trailer.
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/me...m/gallery.html
That was about an hour and half away. It had a problem with an avalanche that crunched the roof. $1500. Interesting paint on the roof and a well done paint job that makes a big difference keeping cool. We've stripped the inside pretty much and will be installing a new rib or two. We found one mummified chipmunk in the insulation. Otherwise its basically sound and the center bath with all the vista views in the rear bedroom is a nice layout.

Its interesting that Dave's Sovereign and my Ambassador are same factory and same month but he has the easier to fix vista views.

Here's one to look for. The awning roller tube rusted thru.
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/me...g/gallery.html
It wouldn't pull out because the center would bend. We had to rip the seem and do a bit of peeling to free the roller tube. Have you priced new awnings lately?
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:02 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Thumbs down Diamond in the rough..

Good morning ... The first Airstream we looked at 4 years ago was for a 72 Overlander .. labelled a Diamond in the Rough.. We should have been smart BUT.. we went with a cash offer and drove 80 miles and met the guy at a MacDonald's and he showed us a bunch of pics .. the pics were dated 8 years previously.. didn 't look bad and than took us to the storage place to see it.. WELL.. in the long grass way behind the other trailers sat this poor thing.. could hardly get in the door .. mice and every other variment had been taking up residence in it for 8 years.. This guy had bought it and basically towed it around the block and put it in storage.. I gasped and said I don't think so .. asking price $7000 Canadian.. The guy owed $2500 in back storage fees.. we left and as we were leaving the guy said it wouldn't last long because he had a woman coming to look at it.. poor woman she was making a 150 mile trip to look at a piece of junk.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
Then theres Dave's trailer.
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/me...m/gallery.html

Here's one to look for. The awning roller tube rusted thru.
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/me...g/gallery.html
It wouldn't pull out because the center would bend. We had to rip the seem and do a bit of peeling to free the roller tube. Have you priced new awnings lately?
Wow! Very educational pictures of the awning tube! Wish my awning material looked that good... Hope my tube isn't that bad!
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I toad you so!

my toad has taken many, many kisses to turn into a princess. I should have been more suspicious on closing day, but REALLY wanted one! Long story short, we went to look at it a year ago, parked in a back yard 40 miles away. Guy was living in it, had pulled it from Ohio where another guy was living in it. It was FULL of stuff, junk, crap, debris, etc. But basically looked sound, so I gave him a deposit and 3 days to clean all his crap out of it and empty the holding tanks, which he said he'd do. Show up on said day (I had ridden my bike) to pay and drive home (It came with an '89 ford f-250) and see it hooked up to the truck, ready to go. I pay him, go to put the bike inside the coach and see the door is locked. He reluctantly unlocks it ("why can't you put your bike in the truck?") and the door opens to reveal the entire load of trash he failed to remove. nice guy, I thought, do I walk? No, I still want it. So I ask him if he wants to get some trash cans or if he wants all the stuff just thrown onto the lawn. We fill 2 barrels with junk, other bigger stuff too. I get it into my driveway, where the truck promptly overheats in a steaming, dripping mess. I sell it 2 days later, and about a week later discover an absolutely full black tank. The usual surprises come later- rotten floor in bath, rodents and bees, defunct furnace, water heater, univolt, and water pump- etc. I guess the moral of the story is don't be too impatient to get one, or you'll have only yourself to blame later. Of course, a lying seller doesn't help any. she's turning out to be a beauty with a lot of labor and new materials- But with hindsight, I probably should have walked. Listen to your intuition!!!- tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Got Pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan
my toad has taken many, many kisses to turn into a princess. - tim
Tim,
Got any before and after pictures to share?
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote