Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Just an introduction

Hello, new here...no real questions, just an introduction! My husband and I have made the decision to sell the house and go full-time, likely within the next few months. He's retired, we like to travel, and we hate the cold.
We've got a 23' Keystone Outback toy-hauler currently, which has been fine for a couple of months at a time, but won't work as well for full-time (it's practically disposable and poorly designed.) We were thinking of upgrading to a Grand Design 5th wheel toy-hauler...but then started researching Airstreams, as we want, #1, something smaller than the 5th wheel (we like to stay in State Parks, ACoE, etc) and #2, something that will hold its value better.

I'm really liking the look (on paper, at least) of the Flying Cloud 27FB Twin. We're headed to Denver this week to check out the possibilities.

We'll have to get a new tow vehicle, as my husband wants to take his motorcycle, and our short-bed Dodge isn't going to be able to handle it. Researching those possibilities as well.

I've been reading a great deal here in the forums...it's a bit scary, really, especially the thread (not sure where it is now) that indicated that Airstreams aren't worth the money! However, from a practical/long-term standpoint, it still looks like Airstream might be the way to go. Encouragement always appreciated
Ranee
SnooMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Welcome. People come here to complain when they have problems. Far fewer people are motivated to discuss how everything has gone right. I wouldn't let the possibility that something might go wrong keep you from choosing a certain type of rig if it is otherwise the best choice for your lifestyle.

Airstreams are certainly more nimble than 5ers, and hold their value better than most anything on the market. They cost a lot more than other options, but if you're going to be using the RV full-time, I think buying the best version you can afford is a good approach.

Ultimately, it's going to come down to what works for you and your lifestyle. My wife and I full time in a renovated vintage 27', and it's the perfect size for us.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:11 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
Welcome, too.

As RV owners already, you know that every unit comes with issues. How one approaches and resolves those issues comprises the overall ownership experience.

My wife and I are first time Airstream owners (coincidentally a 27’ FC FBT) after trying on a half-dozen SOBs through rental on RVShare.

Our unit is certainly not without its issues, though none major. A bad converter, some leaks, minor trim issues, but nothing we can’t handle. In fact, we’ve learned a lot from doing those repairs ourselves and feel better about deciding on Airstream.

We’ve enjoyed roughly 7 short trips and couldn’t be happier with “Silver Sue.” We’re hoping to make the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta this year from S. Florida.

Best of luck with your big upcoming purchases! Don’t let anyone else’s own bad experience color yours. Make it your own.

Cheers!
Instagram: Cirrusaly.Silver
Cirrusaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:10 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Thank you both. Very encouraging!
Old 01-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from another Coloradan: We've had our 1986 Limited 34' since 2005, and it's been in the family since it was new. It is a twin bed model. Airstreams do last a long time. The larger trailer provides more room for longer trips. Here we are parked under a lemon tree, hoping none would hit the trailer.

Airstreams are unique. They are designed to be light weight and aerodynamic and they tow very well. They are smaller inside that a big 5th wheel for about the same money. I don't mind the small size and a guy gets used to it. I might add that Airstreams are "fair weather campers" due to their aluminum construction and 1 1/2" thick walls. They can be cold below 30 and hot above 90. That might be a consideration in your plans.

The good folks here on Air Forums will chime in and share their full time experiences.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1804 Tucson Lemons (Small).JPG
Views:	279
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	332073  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:28 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Ranee - welcome to the forum. The 27 is an ideal choice. Might even find one well maintained late model worth the money from someone who absolutely must have a new 30/33.

Note - you can buy the older 29/30's well worth the money if you are willing to DIY anything that needs attention. They are usually more available than the shorter trailers.

Note - the value of an AS is that you can use it, abuse it, and then rebuild it. It's a lifetime asset.

Full timer with a motorcycle, but planing to replace the tow vehicle and TT. Have you considered a Motorhome and enclosed utility trailer for the motorcycle and a small toad. Your current plan is certainly a good idea, but it pays to consider all options to make sure that you will be happy.

Good luck with your research. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
If you need help inspecting AS trailers, I live in Monument CO not far from you.

Good luck!
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:51 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
David, thanks for the reply. We plan on following the "good" weather as much as we can, and stay out of the extremes. Here in Colorado we have family to stay with if we need to, during the holidays, for instance, when it's too cold.

Pat, we've considered all the options about a thousand times, lol. Still considering, but my husband was thinking of doing an "adventure van" sort of thing for the bike before we decided to go full-time. That plus a 27' AS seems to hit all our targets, except we have to find a vehicle that will tow plus haul.

DaveP, thanks! I'm not finding any used 27FB with the twin beds anywhere near here, but I'll keep looking.

Ranee
Old 01-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Doing some van camping to get the lay of the land and expand your RV knowledge can really add a lot to your adventure. Well worth the effort.

Travel safe. Pat
Old 01-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Ranee - here is one to add to your investigation list. The more you check out, the more you know to make the right choice. A visit might make for a great Mother Ship trip on your Adventure Van camping phase. A topper on your current vehicle could start that adventure. Pat

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...cloud-27-ohio/
Old 01-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Pat - hadn't seen that one; I wish they would post pics.

I'm seeing a great many used AS tt for sale (although not many of the one I want), but they're nearly as expensive as the new ones - which is great, as far as resale goes, but the new ones are...new. They have all the bells and whistles and a warranty. We're pretty handy, but I think we'd go with a complete rebuild if we were going to go more than a year or so used. Good price on that 2017 though.

We've been traveling on and off in our Outback for the past three years, so only the "full time" part would be new for us. Well, and the "Airstream" part, and the "adventure van" part, lol. I don't think we'd commit to full-time without the knowledge that we've gained!
Old 01-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I know you will spend some time developing the specs for a possible tow vehicle. You're gonna need a serious truck by the time you plop a 1000 pounds of tongue weight Airstream on the bumper hitch, and then a 1000 pounds of motorcycle in the bed of the truck. Now add all your full timing gear. Maybe a long bed dually? Or even one size up from that. Maybe they make ramps and winches to load the bike into the bed. I don't know how it's done.

Exciting times to plan all this out.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:42 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
David - yep, but my husband is the math guy, so he's in charge of that! (Plus, he's the one who wants the bike along.) I think he's currently looking at the Ford E-Series Cutaway. Might be overkill. I like the Nissan NV but it doesn't come with 4 wheel drive.