Old 07-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
One other thing that nobody has mentioned including me. When I am inside an SOB, I feel like I am in a trailer, what I mean is that it feels like a box with plastic, a toy, something with no personality, thats the best I can describe it and I have been in some really nice SOB's. But when I am in an airstream no matter whos or what year it always feels like home. Even both of mine when I walk inside they feel like home, not some toy.

Sarge

Old 07-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Thumbs up To airstream or not to airstream

Ditto to what everyone else has said. Last year I had a $200,000 motorhome and it ran the heat and a/c a lot with 4" of insulation. I found that being 40' towing a Jeep behind restricted me to really sightseeing what I enjoyed, so on to a vintage airstream that can be towed virtually anywhere comfortably, and I only put another $3500 into it so far.

Buy what you like and you will have fun with.

When you are done you'll sell it and have fond memories, or not.

Happy hunting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0903070028.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	106675   Click image for larger version

Name:	covered bridge.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	106676  

Old 07-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #31

Currently Looking...
Santa Rosa , California
Thumbs up Thank you

Thank you all for your insight. And no, this was not an Airstream dealership. It was an RV center that sold many brands, but had no Airstreams, new or used. I am glad I posted my question on here! You have renewed my faith that Airstreams are just about the coolest things on the planet, and nice and helpful people own them! We knew the sales guy was feeding us bad info, but we were concerned about if the AS would be really hot inside. It sounds like that is not a concern to most of you.

To Airishuman who wrote:

it's also true that nOOb members that start threads like this USUALLY have an agenda.

I'm sorry if I offended you with my post. I couldn't find a thread on here that answered my question about the internal temperature of the A/S, I also don't know anyone personally that owns an A/S, and knew I wasn't getting a straight answer from the sales person. I thought I would get a straight answer from people on here that actually own an A/S. Sometimes a question is just a question...no agenda involved.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #32
_

. , .
not2worry, NOT offended at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Me View Post
...Sometimes a question is just a question...no agenda involved.
yeah well the centsSENSELESS hollywood 60,000 bucks yaddayadda...

hasn't got nut'n 2 do with insulation.
________

instead of asking a question that ISN't gonna help or solve ANY issues 4 ya...

tell us more.

-whatz the budget

-whatz the purpose of owning ANY rv

-why a stream

-how much/where will u go with it

-what will u pull it with

-how many people dogs and reptiles will inhabit it.

-what floats yer boat....looks, shine, WOW factor, utility, space, features, gadgets, LOW maintenance...

-or the opposites of each.

-and so on.

PROVIDING relevant INDIVIDUAL info means folks can better offer input...

rather than just posting "streams are great, YEAh yeaH YeAh...!!!"

for HARD winter camping or HOT summer living there are MUCH BETTER rvz...

yes, better insulated, more space, more fluids, nicer interiors and so on...

and almost ALL at 1/2 the price of a new stream.

the aluminum can has a THIN wall so there's only so much SPACE for insulation...

windows, vents, doors, the fridge all LEAK heat or cold.

the metal CONDUCTS heat and cold in a BAD way.

and so on...

you can READ ALL ABOUT these issues in the WINTER LIVING section or INSULATION section...

or in the 100s of threads where OWNERS WHO LOVE their streams bEEch about how poorly insulated they are...

and how much MONEY it takes to keep it comfortable in a harsh climate.

the ideal stream is MOBILE and goes where the weather is better...

OR try simply searching a few relevant terms...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ods-14803.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f459...use-50348.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ons-59996.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...sts-40442.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...nks-46754.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...ide-63397.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...-etc-7231.html
_________

as posted earlier EVERYTHING REPORTED 2 b said by the rvsalesguy is TRUE...

and sometimes an answer is just an answer.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...-it-21921.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...why-38293.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f468...oid-40020.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...rse-39275.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...rse-33773.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #33
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I live in so. CA and do not hesitate to take my 25' Safari to hot places. I have the 11000 BTU air conditioner and it is entirely adequate for temperatures up to mid 90s.

While it becomes more marginal in hotter temps, I have been comfortable in the trailer in Laughlin NV , Las Vegas, CA central valley, Lake Havasu, central NV, and the CA high desert during the summer. In these conditions I do not bake in the oven or cook extensively. I also line the windows on the sunny side with reflective sunscreens. I stuff cushions in roof vents. I will use the awning if wind conditions permit. I keep the curtains drawn. At night the air conditioner always cycles, even in the hottest blast furnace of lower Colorado river valley. The interior cabinets are serving as insulation as evidenced by how warm they get inside.

The trick has been to get the air conditioner started early in the morning, or run it 24/7 to get head start on cooling. In the hottest days (105-115 F) the interior temp will rise to upper 70s to low 80s in mid afternoon. The cooling breeze of the air conditioner wearing light clothes makes it fairly comfortable nonetheless. On my trailer the bed and front couch receive a good breeze from air conditioner and are comfortable nearly all the time, even during much of the initial cooling phase.

Initial cooling is the largest problem. If the interior is 100 degrees from crossing the desert it will take till the evening to get the unit comfortably cool.

I would recommend a 15,000 btu air conditioner for all but the smallest trailers if used in hot environment. And two air conditioners on the largest trailers.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
What everybody above has said is true. The only $.02 I can add is that I use my '03 Classic almost exclusively (so far) in Texas. Read that as mild'ish winters & brutal summers. The 15,000BTU AC with heat strip, and the propane central heating does the job just fine. NO travel trailer I know of is designed or built to be comfortable with snow on the roof, or if the temp is pushing 99. Thus the term "snowbirds".

Determine what your real needs are likely to be, then go shopping for the Airstream that best suits those needs. Yes, you'll spend a few dollars more up front but you'll also have a trailer that you can will to your grandkids. EVERY other travel trailer will be on somebody's hunting/fishing lease in 10 to 15 years, whereas the WBCCI has a sub-club that is only for owners of Airtreams 25 years old or older. NO other brand can say that.

Basically you get what you pay for.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Cool Coolest thing on the planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Me View Post
Thank you all for your insight. And no, this was not an Airstream dealership. It was an RV center that sold many brands, but had no Airstreams, new or used. I am glad I posted my question on here! You have renewed my faith that Airstreams are just about the coolest things on the planet, and nice and helpful people own them! We knew the sales guy was feeding us bad info, but we were concerned about if the AS would be really hot inside. It sounds like that is not a concern to most of you.
I have to add rarely did I have more than 2 visitors in my 40' rig but with the twinkie the nieces and newphew with chillin want to come all the time. There are 8 of us inside when it was 95 degrees outside and it was 75 inside, very comfy. And this is what it looked like when I bought it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8 in the twinkie.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	106733   Click image for larger version

Name:	White Oak kids 026.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	106734  

Name:	White Oak kids 021.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	106735   Click image for larger version

Name:	argosy front.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	106736  

Old 07-15-2010, 06:53 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
I have to add rarely did I have more than 2 visitors in my 40' rig but with the twinkie the nieces and newphew with chillin want to come all the time. There are 8 of us inside when it was 95 degrees outside and it was 75 inside, very comfy. And this is what it looked like when I bought it.
You know it is the same thing with me, when we had the tent then SOB hardley anyone ever stopped by. Now with the AS's we always have occasional vistors that like to just stop and talk, mostly about the AS, then we bought this once we have now which is a 34 Legend Norman Rockwell Edition and we get vistors at least 3 times a day. Really we have to keep the trailer straightend up cause everyone wants to look, which I really dont mind, have made some new freinds this way.
Now if someone would just take this 07 GMC & 31 Sov that I have listed for sale off my hands it would give us more money for camping, especially since the wife wants to take a trip west now that we have the space.

Sarge