Old 07-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Granted - new owner here but in Six Plus Months now and over 10,000 miles - 70 plus days use in mountains, beaches and dessert - snow, sleet and desert temps I have always been comfortable and know I can escape to my Airstream to get out of the elements.

Really enjoying some time off and breaking this trailer in the rivet way.....

While in the Rockiees - 10 degrees night with 35 - 45 day (it was an odd early spring up in Steamboat Springs) between the heat pump of the A/C unit during day, furnace at night - I was always comfy.

Las Vegas - vents at night with a/c during day (104 degrees to 75 degrees)

Beach - vents day with furnace night (75 - 55).

Btw - open all those windows - get the fans running - 80 degree outside and the inside is fine (I do have all three awnings open - main one, little one in back, front protector open, little street side open).

I'm always comfy - as long as I have propane and power (generator when boon docking or shore power). There is no where I can't go and be happy. :-)

**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
If that guy tells you that the sky is blue, you had better take a look for yourself.

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Springfield , Illinois
All I can do is add to the great advice that has already been given. I bought a '80 AS after my 4 year old 5th wheel was totalled because of a seam leak that ruined the floor. Enjoyed the 5th wheel, but I could live in my AS. Yup, it's 30 years old, and I tell everyone that the only difference between it and a new one is $90,000.00. I don't feel bad when the dog hair is on the floor. The salesman doesn't know what he is talking about. Love my AS.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #18
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Everyone has offered so much helpful information that the only thing I can add is: If you enjoy the work(restoration/rebuilding) it is better (and cheaper) to buy vintage that is "usable" and fix it up. If you don't love the work, no amount of money will be enough to keep it going. BTW the trip never ends :-)
cheers, bill b.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #19
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
I'm a guessin' ours was on the very very very edge of keeping/repairing. I am also going to say that in as a bad of shape as it was in, we could have been camping for about $2500 over our purchase price. we have decided to do more than just get it campable, but to do a restomod type deal. We plan to/are do(ing) all the work ourselves, and have so far. I doubt we will have $10k in it cash money wise when finished, but also we will have 100's of our own hours in it, but we enjoy working on it together, so as far as I am concerned it's a win-win.

Now.. could you spend $50-60k redoing a 60's trailer? absodamlutly.
Buy the worst example you can find and take it to Jackson Center.

Is that the amount needed to "buy into" a vintage airstream? absodamlutly not.
Buy one in better shape, fix it yourself. If you can run a skilsaw, a drill and a pair of pliers, understand "righty tighty, lefty loosey", know the difference between a rivet and a screw, you have, or can learn, the skills needed. It isn't rocket science.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Croswell , Michigan
Another tidbit, and this is fact, 65% of all Airstreams produced are still on the road today, if that don't say anything about the quality of Airstream nothing else will.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
'69 Safari AND '01 Tundra w/WD-hitch cost me $10K, I put another 5K and lots of sweat equity in....just returned from amazing three-week FL adventure, Suwanne River, Dizney, Pensacola, w/family...

FL adventure: around $2K

memories: priceless ;-)
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #22
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Hi & Welcome,
I am new to A/S ownership, only just over a week, and no where near as knowledgable about A/S as anyone else on the site. However as someone who has been out and looking at all types of RV's recently, I'll add my 2 cents. My husband and I spent about 6 months seriously entertaining the idea of a Brand Spankin NEW SOB. I have to say some of them had nicer interiors than our house. I could debate construction, insulation, slides, etc.. etc.. etc. Here were my problems with anything new, including Airstreams.... price, depreciation and personality.

The price of something new that depreciates that much, while ok for some, just doesn't work for me. Call me cheap.. that's really ok... I can live with that. Nothing against those who do it.. just not me.

With a vintage or used trailer I don't feel guilty about removing the upholstery.. it's 39 years old. I can keep what I like, I actually like the 70's veneer. Get rid of what I don't, the carpet, 70's upholstery/drapery. I would have a problem with this in a brand new unit. I can also stick to being as eco and allergy friendly as I can. I can add my own personality.

As for cost of renovation/restoration, we will do what we can and when we can. I am hoping that all the blood, sweat, tears and probable arguments will make our A/S more meaningful to us. If not, at least there is a chance I can at least get what I paid for the trailer back... if not, life lesson.

My advice... listen to your heart/instincts. They will tell you what you really want and need.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #23
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
My nickname is Holleywood, and I have an Airstream, so maybe that part is true. But I think the rest is pretty much salesman BS. LJH
Old 07-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #24

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Love my Bambi

I love my AS and I didnt buy it new but waited until I could find one I could afford to pay for (no loan) and ended up with a very nice (used 3 times by the PO) 2006 19" Bambi. Some of my friends thought I was crazy to spend so much on a trailer and my Mother (has a class c) thought I would be better off with a new SOB. I looked at several brands and hands down Airstream was the winner. They may have problems (built by hand) but what doesnt! My new house had issues and its a nice house but there again if humans touch it it can have flaws. I spent lots of time on here looking at both the positive and negitive of AS and it still won! The SOBS looked cheap. granted some had lots of cool extras but it wouldnt hold up as well as the AS. As for comfort the Bambi warms right up and stays warm with the heater and heat strip and as far as AC goes it gets down right cold even it hot humid weather. So tell the expert of one year to shove it and go with what you want. If its an AS, great or an SOB it is your choice. Dont let a second rate expert tell you what you should own. Look at Air classifieds and I'm sure you will find a great one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pups.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	106663  
Old 07-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #25

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
You might call this guy. Hes close enough to go and see what and older unit looks like. I found this on FAce book.

Del Burwell: We have a 1977 32 ft. Excella that is in fair condition that we are to old too use anymore.
We live in the Sacramento. Ca area if anyone is interested I can send pictures. The inside is clean but the clear coat on the outside finish has deteriorated. If anyone is interested we would let it go at a decent... price. goldduster41@hotmail or 209-296-4513
Old 07-12-2010, 05:25 AM   #26
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I need to know something.
Was this an Airstream Dealership?
Did he also know everything about how other trailers are constructed? Just wondering if he pointed out that most, all trailers are built of sticks and staples.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
boca raton , Florida
Old AS

My first TT (1966 24' Tradewind) was purchased in 94-95. Personally reworked the interior back to perfect and towed it for 15 years. Was so impressed with the construction, when it came time to sell (sold for every penny invested) and look for a MH, wanted nothing else then a classic AS. Strayed and bought a 77 26' GMC and refilt the whole thing, also very well made! Sold for a heafty proffit. Still wanted a classic AS MH. Have had the 345 for 4 plus years and have never regretted the choice. The investment in the MH has been a bunch more then the TT, but nothing compared to a new unit of the same quality if thats possible short of a Prevost! Mabe with a big lottery hit a Prevost is in the future.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #28
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveson View Post
The investment in the MH has been a bunch more then the TT, but nothing compared to a new unit of the same quality if thats possible short of a Prevost! Mabe with a big lottery hit a Prevost is in the future.
I said something along those lines to my wife.. she wanted to know what the tow rating of the Prevost would be, 'cause we would still be towing the 'stream...lol

I also "implied" that with money no object we would let Jackson Center do some of the repairs on our list.. got a dirty look for that...

I do love her so.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote