Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
los Angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to MuthaMustard Send a message via Yahoo to MuthaMustard Send a message via Skype™ to MuthaMustard
Is This Good, Or Is This Bad??

O.K. so I have been looking for a while and I found this Argosy. go to ebay and search this # to view it 110252063839 any comments would be great.

My question is, this rig has been used every year since 1980 for one trip a year (300 miles) and was winterized while parked. The owner says that is good because of the low mileage on the rig, but my concern is the sitting time and if 300 miles once a year is enough to for see any problems when we decide to tow it across the country on a constant for months not just one trip a year???

We would also be putting in an A/C unit, but if all is in good running condition the price of $4000 seems right?

Any comments or help on this subject? We will be full timing it for a few years.
MuthaMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Went to take a look and see "bidding has ended" Did you snag it? Nice looking Argosy from the photos.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
los Angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to MuthaMustard Send a message via Yahoo to MuthaMustard Send a message via Skype™ to MuthaMustard
bidding had ended on the first run on ebay and he did not sell it. He is holding off re-listing until I get back with him. Really nice guy and it all seems to be legit, but you never know and I am just not sure if the sitting and low mileage are a bad thing.

-o-
Old 05-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Sitting can be a bad thing but used for one trip per year is getting some use. It may have had care lavished on it. My Minuet had set for 4-5 years each with the last two owners, yet I got very lucky, no leaks and everything worked. Even at that there has been a lot of little things to attend to. One owner had attacked the interior with a paint brush and another the exterior with various immovable objects. The converter gave out from age, I need to replace the counter, and next spring the axle. Best to either go and have a look or have someone else take a look for you. Test all systems if possible.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
sitting in one place is not good for the axles. you might want to read up on them.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
los Angeles , California
Yeah I know that sitting is no good, but if it gets some use be it once a year, I just wonder if that is enough.

Does anyone know an Volunteer Inspector in NJ??

I looked at the list, but it seem a bit out dated and there were only 2 people in that area. No response yet.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
We are a little too far away to check it out for you- but here is some input. The axle is probably going to need replaced (about $1500) and you are defiantly going to have to go over the whole unit if you are going to be full-timing in it. Since you are planning on full-timing - how much camping experience do you have? What is your longest trip you have taken? 24 feet may not be big enough if you have kids and pets for full-timing. The trailer looks solid- but it also looks like it has been stored outside. Even if the PO winterized it- they may or may not have noticed leaks that were keeping to the interior walls damaging the subfloor- check the perimeter with an ice pick or screw driver- especially under both sinks and along the rear of the trailer and under the vents for the toilet in the roof. Obviously- Argosy can't be polished, but I have seen some amazing paint jobs on them. My favorite was done by GSM Vehicles- they used a pearlesent white (like Cadillac's) with orange accents- sharp looking! Anyway- good luck with your search and make sure its the one you really want to spend time in and the layout is ideal for you and your family.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sitting over time, or even use over the period of time this unit has been on the road, will require new axles. From the pics on the closed auction one axle for sure seems shot, the other, might not need, it, but I think you replace these in pairs if you have more than one axle.

There are some fair dents in this unit too. I would make sure that it' still seals properly and that no water is getting inside.

My biggest concern, and it's not a huge issue, is the axles. I have seen some really nice Argosy trailer going for between $2500 and $4000. The ones that are near $4k, the exteriors may need to be repainted, but the are typically in better shape than this one. My guess is that this unit, and this is just my opinion, is worth say somewhere around $2500 to $3000.00, since you have a few thousand to spend on axles and if it has no A/C, that too takes money off the table because if you want A/C, it too will cost ya. $4k seems a little high IMHO.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote