Old 10-06-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ellis Grove , Illinois
Illinois Used RV Tax ?

Illinois has a set fee for private party sales on cars and trucks. Is there any on used private party sales on RV's ?

Old 10-06-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANEHILL
Illinois has a set fee for private party sales on cars and trucks. Is there any on used private party sales on RV's ?
For years California has charged a use tax on vehicles which change owners. The rate is the same as the sale tax. If the tax is not paid to a dealer it is paid to the DMV. In fact the sales tax is actually called "Sales and Use Tax".

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Illinois fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANEHILL
KANEHILL, I paid no extra state fees when I purchased my trailer from a private party 3 years ago. I only had to show a bill of sale and present the P/O's title. The Secretary of States Office charged for new title (in my name) and lic. plates. That's all that was involved and it was also a transfer from Iowa to Illinois! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Sales and Use Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
For years California has charged a use tax on vehicles which change owners. The rate is the same as the sale tax. If the tax is not paid to a dealer it is paid to the DMV. In fact the sales tax is actually called "Sales and Use Tax".

Bill
Arkansas has the same thing. Sales Tax is owed on items purchased within the state, and Use Tax is owed on items purchased outside the state. Use Taxes have the same rate as Sales Taxes.

Technically, you as a consumer owe Use Tax on every purchase made via the Internet, phone, or mail order. It is normally collected only on vehicles because you have to report the purchase in order to get tags and title.

In effect, this means that the controversy over how to tax sales made on the Internet is pointless, since they are already subject to Use Tax. What taxing entities need to do is not make new taxes, but find a way to collect existing Use Taxes.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Taxes in CT

In Connecticut not only do we pay a 6% sales tax each time any registered vehicle changes hands (excluding sales to immediate family), we also pay an annual property tax on the assessed value of the trailer!

Now to add insult to injury, the DMV and the State of CT don't assess the sales tax on the purchase price as indicated by the bill of sale, the sales tax is based upon the NADA value of the vehicle. Most of the time those are the same or very close, but when the purchase price is lower than the blue book value, the blue book prevails!

We paid $9K for an SUV this summer that was 7 years old with 242K miles, but the state said the blue book showed it to be valued at more than $18K. We had to pay double the sales tax! There is an appeal process to beg for a refund, but it requires substantial documentation to prove your case and 90 days to process!

Mary in CT

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Double check with the Sec of State office. I lived in IL when I got the Trade Wind, I dont recall paying an additional tax, but it has been a while, the purchase occured in another state, and it may be that units of a certian age become exempt. But like I say, its all foggy in my memory.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #7
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
In Ohio we pay 6% sales tax. I paid $2 for my AS, I paid $.12 to Ohio.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot

Bill
New Mexco has the same thing plus the title transfer must be done within 30 days or there is a fine $. If you're not going to tow it it's not necessary to licence it at that time but the title must be transfered and taxes paid within the 39 days---pieman