Old 01-15-2009, 01:28 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Anaheim , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by asnubie View Post
I am currently seeking an AS but price is holding be back. I am convinced about the quality but..... My decision is to either decide to get what I want regardless of price or find the 2nd best travel trailer. Can anyone help with the notion of "If not an Airstream, what then?
I was also under the impression that I could not afford an Airstream (especially a brand new one) but went online shopping in CA in any case. I found the dealership with the best prices and just went to look. Well, as it always happens, I left the proud owner of a 2008 17ft Airstream Safari Sport. As someone has previously mentioned, these are a whole lot lighter than the other airstreams and considerably cheaper too. I'm all about quality and high tech features and have to say that I am totally satisfied with the Safari Sport Series. The dealership offered great financing and my Airstream payment is less than my cars so I'm smiling. If an Airstream is what you want...go out and make it happen. Now looking at an even bigger one as I'm hooked!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Yes Brian they have shut down the plant but the ones on the lots could be a deal right now. Down side is there would be no factory warranty. Having a Bigfoot now could be a cool thing as there are no more to be built.

Re Awards... The manufacturer had a couple Awards at the Hamilton RV show last year. They were still alive and kickin at that point. The factory was/is ? down near Lake Erie. Dunnville maybe?

Side note... I think we may have met??? I was riding my bike through Aldershot last year and stopped to talk with a guy that had a 27' Award. He was kind enough to show me through the trailer. Maybe this was you??
I don't believe it was me that you met - although I would gladly have shown mine to you if we had met, I was always quite proud of it!

You are correct, the factory is in Dunnville. The last time I had work done there on our Award, maybe 3 or 4 years ago, they had a decent sized factory and were building a limited number of new units. The factory was big enough to accomodate maybe 15-20 units, either being built, or being repaired.

The last time I visited was last spring. At that time, my Award was in need of fairly extensive floor/sidewall repairs and there was a gathering of Award owners at a Provincial park near Dunnville - the factory "sort of' sponsored the get together. people were giving talks on work they had done on their trailers & my wife & I rode down for the day on the bike to attend.

By that time, the Award factory had moved into much smaller quarters - in fact it was an old Canadian Tire Store. I don't think they could fit more than two trailers in there for work and they were not building any more new ones- I had a chat with the owners.

I'm surprised that they were at the Hamilton RV show - perhaps they were just touting for repair work.

When I talked with them about possibly repairing my trailer they seemed to have a reasonable backlog of work from all over Canada/US so i imagine thay may just keep their head above water. Only seemed to be three or four people working there though and it was a real hands on operation - even for the "boss!"

There were a lot of things I really liked about the trailer, but in the end I decided enough was enough - in reality it probably would have been cheaper to keep it going than to switch to the AS, but then, you only get one kick at the cat!

The guy I sold it to in Oklahoma city has space where he can work on it at his home and is pretty handy. He has done major work on it, floor/walls, complete interior decor upgrade, new appliances etc. and it pleased with it - I think he is in Mexico with it right now!

I guess time will time if i made the right choice. I'm not kidding myself that we won't have some problems with the AS - just not as many I hope! The Award was getting to the point that we had problems with it every time we used it and it was screwing up our trip plans!

I don't mind tinkering with small jobs but don't have the facilities to undertake major work - we store the trailer out in Freelton.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I'll admit to buying an used T@B recently - I just hadn't found what I really wanted in an Airstream during my 6 month long search. Used Bambi CCDs were $25k (and have small beds), and I just missed out on an Argosy Minuet. Having this trailer lets us do a big trip next June and gives us something to use if we do find a vintage AS that needs work.

I like my trailer because it's super simple and pretty well built for what it is. The "cuteness" factor will also make it easy to resell compared to a generic white box. There is also an active Yahoo! group and the occasional group camping trip. After going to a local RV show last weekend, I feel better about buying the T@B - most of the SOBs there just didn't appeal to me. Too much olde-Colonial stuff going on inside....

But if I had to buy a bigger non-AS trailer - well, I wouldn't. (Well, there is an all-composite lightweight Eco that's coming out soon, or maybe a Casita, but the wife didn't like the carpet-lined walls.) Maybe that's why I keep on searching for that right bit of aluminium....

Tom
Old 01-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Arctic Fox is made by Northwood Manufacturing in Oregon. Easy to find on the internet. Their photos and floor plans on their website look very nice and Airstream could learn a few things from them. I have heard they are made for cold weather and they are available with Thermal Pane windows, though I couldn't find anything about more insulation. Also, no prices. I have seen a few of them (never been inside), maybe because they are from the western part of the country.

Gene
Old 01-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
There is an Airstream at every price point if you're patient. If you love the AS product, there is no substitute. We may have considered another brand if they were built sleek, aerodynamic and made for the road. Nothing else drew our attention.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #34
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
As Foiled Again pointed out, there are likely to be some super deals if you can find them. How about running an "Airstream wanted, quick cash available" ad in Kijiji and Craigslist. I bet you get a lot of response and at least one good Airstream at a rock bottom price.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
It can be an Airstream

You need to be patient and SEARCH. Start with the classified on this forums. It took us two years to locate ours...and we can say Airstream
is the one to have.

You can visit Tin Can Tourists and you will find some different trailers. We recently purchased a FAN. They are fine. BUT NOT AN AIRSTREAM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FAN side view 2008 (Small).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	74059  
Old 01-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Peoria , Arizona
Other trailers

Airstreams are the best However for the price I would look at Nash or Artic Fox Very well built also and all season coaches
Old 01-16-2009, 09:18 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Freeport , Maine
definitely consider an Avion if you can find a good one. follow this link for one example of a classified section for Avions.

Avion Travelcade Club Travel Fifth Wheel Fleetwood Trailer Cayo RV Repairs Interesting Email Indiana Unit
Old 01-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Salt Lake City , Utah
Avions are very nice well built trailers, my dad had two of them, a 1966 and then a 1976.
The interior wood work was every bit as nice as the Airstreams, if not better.
The pre-1962 models can be POLISHED like an Airstream, after '62 Avions were made with Anodized Aluminum that can NOT be polished.

For us it is the round top on the entry door and the more rounded ceiling and end-caps that give the Airstream a cozier feeling, Hobbit house style.
Just love the feeling..... , never quite got that out of any other trailer.

BWH
Old 01-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
going out of business

Just as an aside. I don't know if you are looking at the possibility of a 5er, but Teton has just recently gone out of business. Teton was known for building one of the best four season 5er's available.

Look closely at the company before buying new.

Good luck,

Woody
Old 01-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Sprinter

Forgot to mention.

If you ever plan on doing any winter camping, look at trailers made up North.

I recently spent two weeks in a Sprinter (made in Texas). Daytime highs were around 32 degrees during this two week period. The furnace never shut off, and I had to use the stove to provide supplemental heat. It is very difficult to watch tv with the furnace blasting all the time.

My AS cycles about every twenty to thirty minutes in those temps.

Woody